Effects of Foods You Hate?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
BigKDawg wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I have heard that most fast food places are painted red to stimulate appetite and to get them to want to leave the franchise faster. Maybe the red paint also stimulates food enjoyment.

Thanks!

No, thats just the massive amounts of MSG they put on the food to metabolically trick your body into eating more food.
Sneaky bastards, arent they? :frowning:

MSG stimulates appetite? I thought it just increased colors and salts?

[/quote]

I always though MSG is the crap they put into chinese buffets and the like so your stomach is tricked into feeling full, thus eating less. Learn something new every day…

[quote]Makavali wrote:
You’d have delve into the psychology behind why we dislike particular foods to really answer that question, I think.

Pumpkin is disgusting.

Yes, I said it.[/quote]

I like pumpkin especially if its warm with some white rice. Yumm

[quote]son of liars wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
BigKDawg wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I have heard that most fast food places are painted red to stimulate appetite and to get them to want to leave the franchise faster. Maybe the red paint also stimulates food enjoyment.

Thanks!

No, thats just the massive amounts of MSG they put on the food to metabolically trick your body into eating more food.
Sneaky bastards, arent they? :frowning:

MSG stimulates appetite? I thought it just increased colors and salts?

I always though MSG is the crap they put into chinese buffets and the like so your stomach is tricked into feeling full, thus eating less. Learn something new every day…

[/quote]

Exactly! who would have thought those buffets wanted a forge fest.

MSG is the devil

OG, try this broccoli salad:

A bunch or 2 of raw broccoli
1 Cup sunflower seeds
1/3 Cup (homemade) mayo (or the kind with extra omega 3’s, low fat if you’re into that sort of thing)
5/6 Slices bacon, finely diced (optional)

Chop/break the raw broccoli into small heads in a bowl, mix in sunflower seeds & mayo and serve. Couldn’t be easier, and doesn’t smell like the cooked version either!

Bacon is optional, either way works (though why leave it out!) I make the bacon crispy and “crumble” it in.

The feeling of dislike will not increase cortisol. Fear or anxiety will. I’ve never had anxiety towards even the grossest of foods, so I doubt that is what you are feeling.

analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

[/quote]

Freak.

I don’t really make shakes because I hate to clean the blender… well this thread has sure shown that I apparently do not go all out.

[/quote]

Using a blender is your first mistake. You need one of these. The chopper attachement takes about 15 seconds to clean by hand, the blade slides right out. If you have a dishwasher its a non issue. This thing, and others like it will take your kitchen game to the next level.

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-MR400HC-WH-Multiquick-Blender-Chopper/dp/B000056HSY/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1212506923&sr=8-3

yorik wrote:

I guess you could drench it in cheese…

it is pretty much a magic bullet isn’t it?
[/quote]

Or you could always ‘ranch it’.

all veggies should be eaten with fat anyways to better absorb the vitamin A

[quote]rsg wrote:
OG, try this broccoli salad:

A bunch or 2 of raw broccoli
1 Cup sunflower seeds
1/3 Cup (homemade) mayo (or the kind with extra omega 3’s, low fat if you’re into that sort of thing)
5/6 Slices bacon, finely diced (optional)

Chop/break the raw broccoli into small heads in a bowl, mix in sunflower seeds & mayo and serve. Couldn’t be easier, and doesn’t smell like the cooked version either!

Bacon is optional, either way works (though why leave it out!) I make the bacon crispy and “crumble” it in.[/quote]

The cafeteria at work makes something similar, but they add raisins to it also.

that hand blender is something I am going to have to get. I see the deluxe one even has a chopper.

well Thomas.Gabriel has revoked my hoped for excuse not to eat broccoli!

but I think I will give rsg’s salad a chance.

once I get the hand blender I will try making the homemade mayonnaise.

once I get the hand blender I will try making the homemade mayonnaise.[/quote]

Weak out of context quote, I know. But still.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
once I get the hand blender I will try making the homemade mayonnaise.

Weak out of context quote, I know. But still.[/quote]

Mak, I bet you churn out quite a bit of the homemade mayonnaise by hand

Mak, I bet you churn out quite a bit of the homemade mayonnaise by hand[/quote]

I sell it on eBay. But only one person seems to buy it. User caliOG982. Hmm…

[quote]Makavali wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I sell it on eBay. But only one person seems to buy it. User caliOG982. Hmm…[/quote]

whooops!

but regarding foods to hate,

I have heard of developing allergies to proteins. How long does it take to develop an allergy?

Is it only proteins for which you can develop an allergy?

yes… I am still grasping at straws.

Makavali wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I sell it on eBay. But only one person seems to buy it. User caliOG982. Hmm…

whooops!

but regarding foods to hate,

I have heard of developing allergies to proteins. How long does it take to develop an allergy?

Is it only proteins for which you can develop an allergy?

yes… I am still grasping at straws.

[/quote]

If you mean food allergies, then no. There are lots of things you can develop food allergies for. Nuts, wheat, etc.

It has been recommended that you switch proteins from time to time to prevent from developing an allergy or intolerance to it though.

I’ve never really noticed any issues from eating the same proteins over and over myself.

I don’t eat foods I don’t like. What is the point of that? There’s plenty of good healthy options. At least if you afren’t a picky eater. I’m not. Food is fuel, and I can’t say I LOVE everything that goes into my mouth. Not even close. But I won’t eat something if I don’t like it.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t eat foods I don’t like. What is the point of that? There’s plenty of good healthy options. At least if you afren’t a picky eater. I’m not. Food is fuel, and I can’t say I LOVE everything that goes into my mouth. Not even close. But I won’t eat something if I don’t like it.[/quote]

and then the voice of reason!

good point jsbrook!

AS of yet there is nothing I don’t like, there are a couple of things I prefer over others, but the list of foods that I eat that don’t like me or make my coworkers keep their distance is LONG.

Thanks![/quote]

bright colors stimulate appetite.I think its more of a case of eating with your eyes and not your stomach when in fast food places.
hence the reds and yellows .

but also have you noticed how buffets are more greens and blues and they also tend to play slow music,or classical those types of stimulus tend to suppress appetite.they dont want you eating as much and “getting your money’s worth”