T Nation

Effects of Foods You Hate?

When you eat foods you hate does your body produce cortisol or up the acid in response to your intense dislike?

I know we all probably eat things we don’t like, but I just wondered if there was a physical aftereffect of this dislike.

I would think not necessarily, since your perception of taste can be based on more than the actual taste - I just read Fast Food Nation and it talked about an experiment where people in a room with special lighting that masked the food they were eating, which was colored red and blue, initially liked the food, but when they saw the color of it, were so disgusted that some of them threw up. My point with that is that a person’t perception of taste has less to do, and is potentially unrelated to how your body will actually respond to that food. So I guess it depends why you don’t like it!

I have heard that most fast food places are painted red to stimulate appetite and to get them to want to leave the franchise faster. Maybe the red paint also stimulates food enjoyment.

Thanks!

I have heard this about the color red making people hungry. Funny how we also associate red with sex. Red lights etc… Psychology is Interesting stuff.

do you mean hate as in you dislike the taste or hate as in your body is responding to it as an allergen ? because the latter is much worse than the former for your body

What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?[/quote]

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

[/quote]

That’s weird. You’re weird or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

That’s weird. You’re weird or something. :P[/quote]

see… I was afraid it might be something like that!

dangit… all those villagers pointing fingers were right

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

That’s weird. You’re weird or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

see… I was afraid it might be something like that!

dangit… all those villagers pointing fingers were right

[/quote]

Yes, I would suggest seeing a hypnotherapist to trick you into liking broccoli. You need some kind of programming. :slight_smile:

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

That’s weird. You’re weird or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

see… I was afraid it might be something like that!

dangit… all those villagers pointing fingers were right

Yes, I would suggest seeing a hypnotherapist to trick you into liking broccoli. You need some kind of programming. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I’m thinking I just run like a coward away from the broccoli… admit defeat, and eat some celery, asparagus, spinach or cucumbers.

I’m not sure you can build a taste callous

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
'm thinking I just run like a coward away from the broccoli… admit defeat, and eat some celery, asparagus, spinach or cucumbers.

I’m not sure you can build a taste callous
[/quote]

I think you can. If you eat the same thing day after day you’re going to get sick of it, if just psychologically.

I guess you could drench it in cheese…

Better yet, add some parmesan, perhaps some Mrs. Dash, steam it with other veggies, perhaps some onions, maybe Butter Buds. There are all sorts of things to make broccoli more interesting and more palatable.

There’s nothing magical about broccoli that you need to eat it all the time. Asparagus and spinach are great too. How about some cauliflower? Brussels sprouts maybe?

I used to hate those little “cabbage fetuses”, but I love my brussels sprouts now.

[quote]yorik wrote:

I guess you could drench it in cheese…

[/quote]

it is pretty much a magic bullet isn’t it?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

[/quote]

Worse case scenario you could blend it up into your protein shakes with or without a scoop of superfood, wont taste it at all that way and still get the cruciferous benefits…

You’d have delve into the psychology behind why we dislike particular foods to really answer that question, I think.

Pumpkin is disgusting.

Yes, I said it.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
What are you eating in great abundance that you dislike?

broccoli

now even the smell gets me grimacing.

I am going to give it up, stick to other green stuff

Worse case scenario you could blend it up into your protein shakes with or without a scoop of superfood, wont taste it at all that way and still get the cruciferous benefits…[/quote]

I don’t really make shakes because I hate to clean the blender… well this thread has sure shown that I apparently do not go all out.

I will give your shake a try though… It is a good idea.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I have heard that most fast food places are painted red to stimulate appetite and to get them to want to leave the franchise faster. Maybe the red paint also stimulates food enjoyment.

Thanks![/quote]

No, thats just the massive amounts of MSG they put on the food to metabolically trick your body into eating more food.
Sneaky bastards, arent they? :frowning:

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I have heard that most fast food places are painted red to stimulate appetite and to get them to want to leave the franchise faster. Maybe the red paint also stimulates food enjoyment.

Thanks!

No, thats just the massive amounts of MSG they put on the food to metabolically trick your body into eating more food.
Sneaky bastards, arent they? :([/quote]

MSG stimulates appetite? I thought it just increased colors and salts?

Yes, Indeedy. And you wonder why you just cant keep stop at one? And if you really want a scary story thats true, Google Dr Russell Blaylock and MSG and you will find out the real truth on the negatives of MSG. Its not sugars and spice and everything nice:(


http://www.drnorthrup.com/news/msg.php

it’s pretty much considered the “essence of good flavor” or something like that