Effects of Cutting/Bulking on Newbie Gains?

Nicely Said, If we could sticky just this post into the beginner section I think it would help people.

[quote]big nurse wrote:
Just to chip in with some personal view and current experience on this.

All respect to other posters like the prof who are very clear on where they are going and i can understand some of the frustrations coming out a bit.
Also–and once again (apologies) read this through ‘beginner’ filter as i don’t pretend to be anything else.

I came into this just 18 months ago age 52, very overweight, very weak. I am not sure what my body fat % was back then although i would estimate somewhere up in the 35% range.
At that time i didn’t even consider working out with weights (long term back injuries) but just aimed to shed a whole load of weight which i did with a solid outdoor walking programme and some sensible eating.
Now–just 8 months into working with weights for the first time i am just getting my head around a lot of this kind of discussion.

Most of the guys around here argue very strongly (and reasonably) that you can’t do 2 things at once ie can’t lose fat and get significantly bigger/stronger.
Except maybe you can as i am doing–but once again that is as a beginner and i am clearly doing both : still making beginner gains and still changing (slowly) my body composition.

Now : i am nowhere near where i want to be with either strength gains or body composition so i have just had to make a clear decision yself about which way to go ie simply get stronger and support that plan with the appropriate training and diet or aim to shift body fat quickly and support that plan with appropriate training and diet.

Although still relatively (even absolutely) weak by most T nation standards i figure that while i am still making beginner gains i can afford a quick hard cut of body fat , i can hang on to the strength gains i have made while gatting rid of more flab.
I have no pretensions to being a bb er ,whilst having huge respect for those that do, nor do i want to be a powelifter/strongman–what i do simply want to be is a maximally fit , lean,and strong old git !!.

I think that it is absolutely necasary to sort out in your own head what you want–i actually had to sit down, work it all out, tease apart all the elements we talk about in ‘fitness’ and start to work towards actual goals.
Some of them (i think) can be done together (for a beginner) and for a while, many require a clear direction–at least for a while.

Once you set goals–and can work to a plan that supports those goals…then you can get somewhere, might be lower bf …nothing wrong with that…might be faster over 1.5 mile run, stronger on the big lifts, doesn’t really matter but you must have YOUR goals.

Sorry if this didn’t come across as clearly as i hoped.
Tired…[/quote]

[quote]Vorg wrote:
This is my final post and I am sure you people are looking forward to that, but I have never been to a place more hostile to people than this forum. You people either speak condescendingly, derisively, or sarcastically to people without any provocation. Try treating people with a little more respect even if they hold views or thoughts that run opposed to your own. It is not like it is a life-or-death issue in which the fate of the world is at stake. And I cannot imagine any of you act the way you do on here in person because you would be a social pariah.

Final words: chill out and be nice.[/quote]

Seriously, why even get offended enough to right that? It’s perfectly fine to react the way people did/do, because after giving advice, many times it’s thrown back in your face. It’s not like anyone’s getting paid for this, yet some act like it’s their right to get direction and behave disrespectfully to others.

Some have spent years (plenty of stress/trial & error), and even good money, and people like you want things handed to you on a silver platter? LOL

If you were walking down the street and approached a gang of people who do a sport or whatever, would you walk up to them and say “right, I wanna know blah blah blah” and then when they start to correct you, you tell them “shut up and just tell me, ok?”

^ That’s the type of punks you often get on here, and it spoils it for all the rest of the genuine ones. How’s anyone experienced going to want to help someone who doesn’t even co-operate and acts like a spoilt kid? That person’s gonna be on their own lol