T Nation

Effects of Creatine

Hey ive looked around on various articles and forums(even wikipedia) on what exactly the effects of creatine are. Right now im an 18 y/o sitting at around 190-195 pounds at 6’2" on a bulking phase until february. What im looking for before i order creatine from this site is… What exactly does it do? Is it for me? Can i take it even while cutting?

Here: http://www.nutros.com/index.html
This site is pretty useful.

Man - Honestly, use the search button at the top of the page. It’s a topic that’s been beeaten to death for years.

If you want a simple answer, creatine will [likely] help you gain some additional size and strength, given your intensity and diet is good enough to fuel growth. Yes, you can use it while cutting.

you get a bit stronger in the low rep ranges and your muscles are fuller because creatine draws water into them

Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP) is energy for cells, even muscle cells. When it is used it turns into Adenosine Di-phosphate (ADP) meaning it lost a phosphate group…I believe to heat, but I’d have to check up on my physio.

Anyways long story short, creatine mono-phosphate found in muscle tissue donates it’s phosphate group to ADP making it a usable source of energy ATP again.

So you end up getting more ‘energy’ within the muscle if that makes sense. This fuels more reps, more strength, possibly even faster recovery.

I believe this is correct, but maybe some other science nerd will come on here and prove otherwise. lol

On an advice side of things, creatine + juice is probably the best bang for your buck supplement meaning for how cheap it is you will get benefits. Definitely worth picking up imo.

DG

Dirty Gerdy is correct.

Creatine does two things:

(1) it helps load water and sodium in to your muscle cells, which helps with muscular contractions and leverage

(2) it provides an additional phosphate (ATP becomes ADP… the additional phosphate helps replenish ATP)

[quote]ovalpline wrote:
Dirty Gerdy is correct.

(1) it helps load water and sodium in to your muscle cells, which helps with muscular contractions and leverage
(2) it provides an additional phosphate (ATP becomes ADP… the additional phosphate helps replenish ATP)[/quote]

do we know scientifically about creatine and it’s correlation with ‘loading’ water and sodium into muscles?

Not arguing, I actually believe it. I just have never read any published or scientific study that said so .vs. physiology tells us about the ATP thing.

I don’t need some study just a simple ‘yes it has been proven’ answer works for me. lol I believe it does, as that is one effect you can literally see with creatine. I just thought it was one of the things people ‘thought’ it did and it technically hasn’t been ‘scientifically’ proven yet? lol

Thanks man.

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
ovalpline wrote:
Dirty Gerdy is correct.

(2) it provides an additional phosphate (ATP becomes ADP… the additional phosphate helps replenish ATP)

do we know scientifically about creatine and it’s correlation with ‘loading’ water and sodium into muscles?

Not arguing, I actually believe it. I just have never read any published or scientific study that said so .vs. physiology tells us about the ATP thing.

I don’t need some study just a simple ‘yes it has been proven’ answer works for me. lol I believe it does, as that is one effect you can literally see with creatine. I just thought it was one of the things people ‘thought’ it did and it technically hasn’t been ‘scientifically’ proven yet? lol

Thanks man.

DG[/quote]

We need Bill Roberts to chime in here.

I don’t know the exact mechanism nor have I seen any study, so let’s just call this a strong inference.

I know that ATP is highly soluble in water, and I know that both creatine and water follow sodium. I also know that ADP requires an additional phosphate and water to produce ATP.

It seems logical to me then that since creatine provides an additional phosphate by which ADP can become ATP, additional water is pulled in to the muscle to potentiate this action.

Again, this is just a guess.

[quote]ovalpline wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
ovalpline wrote:
Dirty Gerdy is correct.

Thanks man.

DG

We need Bill Roberts to chime in here.

I don’t know the exact mechanism nor have I seen any study, so let’s just call this a strong inference.

I know that ATP is highly soluble in water, and I know that both creatine and water follow sodium. I also know that ADP requires an additional phosphate and water to produce ATP.

It seems logical to me then that since creatine provides an additional phosphate by which ADP can become ATP, additional water is pulled in to the muscle to potentiate this action.

Again, this is just a guess.[/quote]

Sorry made the post and then found an informative article! Decided to try it on my next order