Effective Way of Training Stabilizer Muscles

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Dude, chill out. You are thinking way too much about stuff that matters very little.

• You are doing an exercise you haven’t done in 2 years. Even if you were a pro at it 2 years ago, there is going to be a break in period. It has little to do with “stabilizer muscles” and everything to do with just getting used to the exercise. If you stopped squatting for 2 years and only did front squats, it would take you a few weeks to get back into the swing of things even though you were training almost all of the same muscles during that time.

• Often time you can be better on the 2nd and 3rd sets of an exercise. This could be because of a poor warm up in which case the first set actually prepares you for the second set. Or you just “know” the weight a little better the 2nd time around. You could get more focused. Your nervous system could wake up a little after the first set, etc… The list goes on and on…

[/quote]

its actually the first time ive done dumbbell bench in my life

anyway the first set it was too hard to control the weight… i dont want to smash my face

how would you warm up for lifting something around your 6-8RM (which for me is like 85 apparently)?

Exactly my point. If you have literally NEVER done them, how good did you think you were going to be at them? Try training just the dumbbells for 2 years, then going back to the regular bench. Even though your stabilizer muscles will be in top notch form, the lift will feel like shit.

If you are going to do sets with 85lb DB’s I would do it like so:

20’s x 10 for a few sets (this is basically your “warm up” - NOT taxing at all, just getting the muscles ready, warm, full of blood)

30’s x 6
40’s x 4
50’s x 1-2 (fast and explosive from here on out… Now we are getting ready to lift the heavy ones)
60’s x 1-2
70’s x 1-2

OR

You could do an “over warm up” where you do something like this (Credit to Paul Carter of Lift-Run-Bang):

60’s x 5
70’s x 4
80’s x 3
90’s x 2
100’s x 1

Then drop back down the 85’s and rep out. Many people find that by “warming up” to a heavier single than they will be using to workout with (NOT a 1RM, this should be about 85-93% of your 1RM) the work set (in this case the 85’s) feel lighter than had they warmed up from below that weight.

Try them both out and see which one you like.

The goal of the sets leading up to the 85’s is NOT to “work out” the muscles. It is to “get ready” to lift the 85’s. You are basically priming your body to lift the heavier weight. Some workout systems call these “Weight Acclimation Sets” instead of warm up sets because you are just getting used to heavier loads. ANY reps you do that decrease your ability to do the 85’s are inefficient and taking away from the workout.

Here is what I would consider a BAD warm up:

20’s x 10
40’s x 10-12
60’s x 10 (tough set but doable with no problem. Rep 10 was “easy” but a challenge)
70’s x 10 (hard set, 2 more and you would have failed)

You are wasting tons of energy on the sets that dont matter here, and potentially losing reps with the 85’s with this kind of set up.

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:
I switched from barbell to dumbbell bench, barbell bench was around 225/8… but my stabilizer muscles suck so I can only do dumbbell 85 for reps(~7/8)… Anything above that weight is pretty wobbly

would doing dumbbell bench and just holding the weight there train the stabilizer muscles since you’re just trying to balance it, or is there a better way to train them?
[/quote]

What is a stabilizer muscle? Go to an anatomy chart, and find one.

Your BB to DB bench ratio is quite normal. Just continue working on getting stronger at them, and you’ll be fine. Also, don’t neglect back and rear/medial delt training.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Exactly my point. If you have literally NEVER done them, how good did you think you were going to be at them? Try training just the dumbbells for 2 years, then going back to the regular bench. Even though your stabilizer muscles will be in top notch form, the lift will feel like shit.

If you are going to do sets with 85lb DB’s I would do it like so:

20’s x 10 for a few sets (this is basically your “warm up” - NOT taxing at all, just getting the muscles ready, warm, full of blood)

30’s x 6
40’s x 4
50’s x 1-2 (fast and explosive from here on out… Now we are getting ready to lift the heavy ones)
60’s x 1-2
70’s x 1-2

OR

You could do an “over warm up” where you do something like this (Credit to Paul Carter of Lift-Run-Bang):

60’s x 5
70’s x 4
80’s x 3
90’s x 2
100’s x 1

Then drop back down the 85’s and rep out. Many people find that by “warming up” to a heavier single than they will be using to workout with (NOT a 1RM, this should be about 85-93% of your 1RM) the work set (in this case the 85’s) feel lighter than had they warmed up from below that weight.

Try them both out and see which one you like.

The goal of the sets leading up to the 85’s is NOT to “work out” the muscles. It is to “get ready” to lift the 85’s. You are basically priming your body to lift the heavier weight. Some workout systems call these “Weight Acclimation Sets” instead of warm up sets because you are just getting used to heavier loads. ANY reps you do that decrease your ability to do the 85’s are inefficient and taking away from the workout.

Here is what I would consider a BAD warm up:

20’s x 10
40’s x 10-12
60’s x 10 (tough set but doable with no problem. Rep 10 was “easy” but a challenge)
70’s x 10 (hard set, 2 more and you would have failed)

You are wasting tons of energy on the sets that dont matter here, and potentially losing reps with the 85’s with this kind of set up.[/quote]

I almost always agree with what you write on here Lonnie, but for this I’m actually going to disagree. In this case, for DB press, especially that ‘over warm up’ example I think would be pretty awful. DB press specifically, the first rep is much harder than the next few, due to having to get the dumbbells into position. If his 6-8RM is the 85’s, I doubt he could even get the 100’s into position and do them once, and he’d be wasting a ton of energy doing so (energy expended while not having the benefit of working his chest).

Your example of a “bad” warmup, or something similar to that, I think would actually be quite beneficial for the OP, except on the set of 70’s I’d probably recommend stopping around 6. While it’s true that he’d be spending a lot of energy on those sets, I think it would be a good use of his energy, and would be beneficial to both his chest development, and to him getting better at the movement, as it is “new” to him and he is still learning it. Yes, he may get one or two reps less on the 85’s set because of it, but I think the benefit from the added work in the earlier sets would more than offset this.

Now, if it was something like working up to a top set of Bench press or squats, IF his main goals were the increase of those lifts, and not increasing muscle mass, then I would definitely agree with your first example of a warmup.

I tried the over warm up and broke PRs in every lift… maybe I just wasn’t warming up properly (only 2 warm up sets on every lift, even when doing things like 300x9 lb deadlifts)

haven’t tried it on dumbbell bench yet but think that will be similar, I will report back when I hit my face with a 100 lb dumbbell

reg sets definitely felt easier after doing it, I’m guessing my normal warmups weren’t warming up the right muscle fibers that I was using for the lifts

also hungry I don’t know, a muscle that keeps the weights balanced? I’m not an expert on anatomy. Also, I don’t feel like my BB bench/DB bench is normal, if it’s my 2nd or 3rd time doing dumbbell bench I think it should be significantly higher(like around 100 at least) once I am used to it.

[quote]fr0gger666 wrote:

also hungry I don’t know, a muscle that keeps the weights balanced? I’m not an expert on anatomy. Also, I don’t feel like my BB bench/DB bench is normal, if it’s my 2nd or 3rd time doing dumbbell bench I think it should be significantly higher(like around 100 at least) once I am used to it.
[/quote]

As you probably figured, it was a rhetorical question. Every skeletal muscle has a specific function, to pull a joint/bone/limb in a desired direction. Of course they can work antagonistically, creating a net stabilization effect, but that is not all they do. The quadriceps and hamstrings can “stabilize” your knees by preventing motion there, but the last thing I would think of when I think about those muscle groups is “stabilizer muscles”.

The reason you get better at things like bosu ball squats with practice is generally not the developing of these hitherto undiscovered muscle groups, it’s simply practice. Practice makes perfect. It’s the same reason why a newbie can bench press 5-10 lbs more session after session the first few months of training; it isn’t because they developed ridiculous amounts of muscle in such a short period of time. They trained a specific skill, therefore they initially got better at it quickly, then of course the improvement slows down proportionately.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

I almost always agree with what you write on here Lonnie, but for this I’m actually going to disagree. In this case, for DB press, especially that ‘over warm up’ example I think would be pretty awful. DB press specifically, the first rep is much harder than the next few, due to having to get the dumbbells into position. If his 6-8RM is the 85’s, I doubt he could even get the 100’s into position and do them once, and he’d be wasting a ton of energy doing so (energy expended while not having the benefit of working his chest).

Your example of a “bad” warmup, or something similar to that, I think would actually be quite beneficial for the OP, except on the set of 70’s I’d probably recommend stopping around 6. While it’s true that he’d be spending a lot of energy on those sets, I think it would be a good use of his energy, and would be beneficial to both his chest development, and to him getting better at the movement, as it is “new” to him and he is still learning it. Yes, he may get one or two reps less on the 85’s set because of it, but I think the benefit from the added work in the earlier sets would more than offset this.

Now, if it was something like working up to a top set of Bench press or squats, IF his main goals were the increase of those lifts, and not increasing muscle mass, then I would definitely agree with your first example of a warmup.
[/quote]

Great points, and you may be right for the DB movements and getting in some extra, meaningful volume on the lower sets.

This is where Trial and error comes in, try both (or even all three in the case of my “bad warm up”) and see what produces the best results.