Effective Multi-Vitamins

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Its interesting to note that the guide that CT has referred to (and others mention in this thread) was authored by a ‘trained biochemist’ who is neither a medical doctor nor a PhD and who served on the advisory board for USANA, whose product he lists as #1 (and #6).

The company itself resembles a pyramid scheme and is described as a ‘multilevel marketing company’.

I certainly wouldn’t argue that the quality of some multi’s is better than others, and there could be some merit in the research that was conducted to publish that guide. Given the circumstances though, I would probably take it with a huge grain of salt.[/quote]

I think most folks should take things with a grain of salt, but I also don’t think being a doctor means every word from their mouth is golden.

Why would you think a being a biochemist would exclude the evaluator from having a PhD?

In any case, I like having at least a list that narrows down the huge field of multivitamins.

Maximus mentions mother nature but sometimes you can’t eat enough of the whole food to effectuate a difference.

mutlivitamins are just double checking the door is locked.

[quote]djreef wrote:
nycsoccax wrote:
I think i need to step up my multi-vitamin game, as Centrum was listed as a 4.7%, whatever that means. Octobergirl, are all those available online or can you get them at stores?

The guide is based on a 100 point scale. 0 being the lowest, and 100 being the highest. Just like in school.

DJ[/quote]

Anything in grocery stores as far as multi’s go, are typically horse shit (synthetic vitamins and minerals made from petro-chemicals) or sub-optimal vitamins and minerals that the body has to go to great lengths to metabolize.

(The reason why I would go with companies such as Wellness Resources, NSI, and Integrated Health among others)

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Its interesting to note that the guide that CT has referred to (and others mention in this thread) was authored by a ‘trained biochemist’ who is neither a medical doctor nor a PhD and who served on the advisory board for USANA, whose product he lists as #1 (and #6).

The company itself resembles a pyramid scheme and is described as a ‘multilevel marketing company’.

I certainly wouldn’t argue that the quality of some multi’s is better than others, and there could be some merit in the research that was conducted to publish that guide. Given the circumstances though, I would probably take it with a huge grain of salt.[/quote]

And its not an impossability to say that all MLM products are shit. Some are actually very high quality, but come with a higher price tag due to the MLM aspect.

I’ve been staying away from Usana for the past few years due to their pyramid scheme sales setup.

Djreef,

Are Solgar’s products on that list? I am using their “Male Multiple” and would be interested in how it ranks.

rgds,

C

Yes, quite a few of Solgar’s products are on the list, but i didn’t see one called the “male multiple”.

[quote]djreef wrote:
mmllcc wrote:
The best out there based on research:

product1.asp?sku=186&dept_id=29

The Purity Perfect Multi only scored 62.2. Not bad, but hardly the best.

DJ[/quote]

Where is this guide and how are they performing the tests? What is the criteria?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
I think most folks should take things with a grain of salt, but I also don’t think being a doctor means every word from their mouth is golden.[/quote]

Very true, no argument here.

Why would you think a being a biochemist would exclude the evaluator from having a PhD?[/quote]

It doesn’t, but according to his bio on various sites, he doesn’t hold that degree (although they all mention he was “trained” or “studied” biochemistry). I look at him with a skeptical eye just like I would if I saw a physician who told me he’s not a medical doctor but he studied biology in school. Again, I’m not saying only doctors are speakers of the truth, its just something that hurts his credibility IMO.

all your answers to your questions can be found here

dfreezy wrote:

I certainly wouldn’t argue that the quality of some multi’s is better than others, and there could be some merit in the research that was conducted to publish that guide. Given the circumstances though, I would probably take it with a huge grain of salt.

I think most folks should take things with a grain of salt, but I also don’t think being a doctor means every word from their mouth is golden.

Why would you think a being a biochemist would exclude the evaluator from having a PhD?

In any case, I like having at least a list that narrows down the huge field of multivitamins.

Maximus mentions mother nature but sometimes you can’t eat enough of the whole food to effectuate a difference.

mutlivitamins are just double checking the door is locked.

[/quote]

Many doctors dont know what the f–k they are talking about when it comes to subjects outside of their field of expertise (and sometimes even in their own field of expertise!!). Case in point, many doctors dont have an inkling of what good nutrition is, which isnt suprising considering the very subjective bias of pharmaceutical funding their education. Dont even get me started on the subject of oncology where pretty much all the “traditional” experts are mentally incompetent retards (worked the oncology unit before so I know firsthand how effective traditional medicine is in this regard, not to mention the physical and emotional trauma it inflicts on the patients).

To be honest, I think the ideal is to focus on nutrient density when it comes to optimal nutrition (a term coined Volumetrics I believe) so a diet full of the most jam packed superfoods (raw goji berries, camu-camu powder, chia seeds, raw cacao nibs, Biotest Superfood, various greens products, broccoli sprouts, etc…)

[quote]Serd wrote:
Yes, quite a few of Solgar’s products are on the list, but i didn’t see one called the “male multiple”.[/quote]

OK, how did they do in general? (it would atleast be a hint of the quality)

rgds,

C

the majority of them is ranked in the top 75 but there were a couple in the 400’s… you can take a look at them yourself with the link i provided above.

Is this vitamin scale based on purity of the vitamins or the absorption factor or a combination of the two?

[quote]Serd wrote:

all your answers to your questions can be found here[/quote]

Hey, thanks a lot for that link :slight_smile:

rgds,

C

i dont think this has been posted…

thibs gave this link to the vitamin rankings in one of his locker rooms

vitaminone.com/AdultRankings.htm

[quote]Gorichen wrote:

vitaminone.com/AdultRankings.htm[/quote]

I actually did post the list on one of the earlier thread

but the link to the website was a good idea

Gorichen wrote:

vitaminone.com/AdultRankings.htm

I actually did post the list on one of the earlier thread

but the link to the website was a good idea

[/quote]

Thanks OctoberGirl! This is a great list to help me narrow down the options in choosing a multivitamin.

[quote]Tash-XL wrote:
Is this vitamin scale based on purity of the vitamins or the absorption factor or a combination of the two?[/quote]

Im curious about this as well.

[quote]curax wrote:
Djreef,

Are Solgar’s products on that list? I am using their “Male Multiple” and would be interested in how it ranks.

rgds,

C[/quote]

No, but the Female Multi is listed - 50.1 is the score that it got.

DJ

Thanks guys the web page helped.