Effective Multi-Vitamins

I would buy Superfood as I am a big Biotest supporter, but my college student wallet is just too thin. Any suggestions for an effective multi-vitamin?

It would be great if Biotest had a multivitamin.

Here is a list of companies that Thibs recommended in his thread.

Poliquin isn’t on the list because the multivitamin wasn’t available at the time of testing, but I know that Thibs highly recommends Poliquin.

Thibs quote:
"A document ranked the top multis available based on quality and proper amount of the nutrients (14 different criteria in all). They tested 510 brands and gave a score from 0 to 100% to each of them. Only 8 out of 510 scored higher than 80%:

• USANA essentials - US version: 96.1%
  • Douglas labs - Ultra preventive X: 95.4%
  • Vitamin Research Products - Extended plus: 93.1%
  • Source naturals - Life Force multi: 92.8%
  • Source naturals - Elan vial: 91.8%
  • USANA essentials - Canadian version: 90.2%
  • Freelife - Basic mindell plus: 82.3%
  • Life extension foundation - life extension mix: 81.4%

The ‘‘Mega men’’ by GNC tested out at … 21.1%
Centrum at 4.7%
One-a-day active at 4.1%
The Twinlab one at 26.4% (although the Mega6 is at 56% … still way below acceptable)
NOW foods multis range from 23% to 40%

Note that the Poliquin one was not available at time of testing.

Anything less than the 80% ones is a waste of money."

Thanks!

October Girl, do you know how Irwin Naturals did in that test if they were tested?

That is the brand I have been using the last 6 months or so. I feel a bit more of a boost from these than other brands but then, I am comparing it to experience with GNC Mega Men, Nature Made Men’s, and Animal Pak.

I think i need to step up my multi-vitamin game, as Centrum was listed as a 4.7%, whatever that means. Octobergirl, are all those available online or can you get them at stores?

As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. Most of the multis found in large chain stores/grocery stores are absolute shit.
Here are some additional multi’s I wouldnt hesitate to recommend for those looking for a super quality multi -

Alive Whole Food Energizer
Daily Energy Multiple Vitamin from Wellness Resources
NSI Synergy Once Daily Multi Vitamin

USANA is the best. Their products are pharmaceutical grade, so you know that what you’re paying for is what you’re actually getting.

New Chapter organic whole foods are the best in my opinion.

I don’t know the entire list of tested vitamins but I do know that a lot of the ones on the list as “good quality” are available online through amazon.com.

I purchased the LifeForce multi and then I also purchased leucine and some other stuff made by them.

I used to buy Centrum but I have switched. I don’t know that I feel a difference but I am going to go with the testing results.

[quote]Maximillian wrote:
New Chapter organic whole foods are the best in my opinion.

[/quote]

They also sell a pretty good superfoods product as well.

Prairie Naturals!! pretty complete.

I actually have that guide. Nothing compares to the Douglas Labs Ultra Preventative X. They actually reformulated so that they now rank higher than the USANA vitamins, plus you don’t have to deal with all of that pyramid multi-level marketing crap.

DJ

Irwin Naturals isn’t in the guide that I have. It maybe that the formula wasn’t around at the time my copy was published (2003).

DJ

The best out there based on research:

product1.asp?sku=186&dept_id=29

[quote]nycsoccax wrote:
I think i need to step up my multi-vitamin game, as Centrum was listed as a 4.7%, whatever that means. Octobergirl, are all those available online or can you get them at stores?[/quote]

The guide is based on a 100 point scale. 0 being the lowest, and 100 being the highest. Just like in school.

DJ

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
The best out there based on research:

product1.asp?sku=186&dept_id=29

[/quote]

The Purity Perfect Multi only scored 62.2. Not bad, but hardly the best.

DJ

I wonder how Multi+ by Genuine Health scores. I dropped a tab in a glass of water once and it dissolved in about 20-30 minutes. Of course, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything, but still…

Thanks for the info, OG. Hangar One vodka scores pretty high, too :slight_smile:

[quote]djreef wrote:
nycsoccax wrote:
I think i need to step up my multi-vitamin game, as Centrum was listed as a 4.7%, whatever that means. Octobergirl, are all those available online or can you get them at stores?

The guide is based on a 100 point scale. 0 being the lowest, and 100 being the highest. Just like in school.

DJ[/quote]
I’m sure you know what the % is for.

A vast variety of nutritious whole foods is the best multi-vitamin. Mother nature did it best, don’t mess with her.

Its interesting to note that the guide that CT has referred to (and others mention in this thread) was authored by a ‘trained biochemist’ who is neither a medical doctor nor a PhD and who served on the advisory board for USANA, whose product he lists as #1 (and #6).

The company itself resembles a pyramid scheme and is described as a ‘multilevel marketing company’.

I certainly wouldn’t argue that the quality of some multi’s is better than others, and there could be some merit in the research that was conducted to publish that guide. Given the circumstances though, I would probably take it with a huge grain of salt.