T Nation

EFA Supplement?

Do I need an EFA supp. If I eat plenty of P.B. (all natural), tuna and flax? between these three foods, wouldn’t I get sufficient amounts of healthy fats? thanx.

You should be fine.
It all depends on what kind of nutrition program you are following.

I’m always a fan of choosing whole foods over pills or supps any day.

You might want to consider switching to almond butter. It’s a bit more expensive but almonds are a better fat source. Walnuts are great too.

Although i prefer whole nuts to butters.

The benefit to eating whole nuts for your fat source is the fiber they add to your diet.
Plus it lets you snack on something crunchy after all that cottage cheese, oatmeal, shakes…etc that make up any good bodybuilder’s diet. Heh.

[quote]beefster wrote:
Do I need an EFA supp. If I eat plenty of P.B. (all natural), tuna and flax? between these three foods, wouldn’t I get sufficient amounts of healthy fats? thanx.[/quote]

best bang for your buck (IMO) fish oil supps. Yes you are getting some from the tuna and flax is/can be converted to some good fats, but do you consume tuna every day? Do you eat some type of fish daily? For 5-10 bucks a month, the benefits far outweigh the cost.

Yes whole foods are good but really Fish oils ARE real food and have there place in everyones diet.

also like stated above real fish and walnuts are great sources as well