T Nation

EDT Training


#1

So, I'm taking a break from Wendler's & was thinking about giving this a go. I've done a search & their is some stuff to read over but I'm looking for some real life examples. I'm also not interested in EDT for powerlifting. Anyhow, any you guys run this w/success & what were some of your better pairings.


#2

I really like it. I do it whenever I am limited for time in the gym. It lends itself to all kinds of rep ranges too. No matter what, you heart rate will be up there. Favorite pairings: Front Squat/military Press, Squat/Pullup, Deadlift/Bench Press, Leg press/pushups, Bench press/T Bar Row, Goblet Squat/DB Bench Press, BB RDL/Dips. Just my two cents.


#3

Today, 03:32 PM
ELIALICEA; said

I really like it. I do it whenever I am limited for time in the gym. It lends itself to all kinds of rep ranges too. No matter what, you heart rate will be up there. Favorite pairings: Front Squat/military Press, Squat/Pullup, Deadlift/Bench Press, Leg press/pushups, Bench press/T Bar Row, Goblet Squat/DB Bench Press, BB RDL/Dips. Just my two cents.

I agree, had good luck with condensed time training, it’s a nice break from PLing, give joints, and mind a break. I like competing muscle groups, but either way it’s good. Another way to progress apart from weight on the bar. a cycle of this is an eye opener as well, to other forms of training. I actually gained strength on my sqaut, and bench a few years ago with EDT, and was suprised when I went back to heavy lifting. I still use it for arms, and shoulders once and a while within 531 template. Goodluck


#4

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I still use it for arms, and shoulders once and a while within 531 template. Goodluck

[/quote]

Do something similar, its a great way to get in a high volume/pump finisher and bring up weak points


#5

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I still use it for arms, and shoulders once and a while within 531 template. Goodluck

[/quote]

Do something similar, its a great way to get in a high volume/pump finisher and bring up weak points[/quote]

Would either of you mind providing an example of what you mean? Exercises, time frame, etc.


#6

[quote]baugust wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I still use it for arms, and shoulders once and a while within 531 template. Goodluck

[/quote]

Do something similar, its a great way to get in a high volume/pump finisher and bring up weak points[/quote]

Would either of you mind providing an example of what you mean? Exercises, time frame, etc. [/quote]

Basically normal 5/3/1 but do EDT for the last 10 mins
A recent workout would look like this:

Military press 5/3/1
Dumbell rows 5x5
Hammer press 5x10
Biceps 5x10
EDT section -triceps and side laterals supersetted for 10 mins picking weights I could usually get for 20 reps


#7

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]baugust wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I still use it for arms, and shoulders once and a while within 531 template. Goodluck

[/quote]

Do something similar, its a great way to get in a high volume/pump finisher and bring up weak points[/quote]

Would either of you mind providing an example of what you mean? Exercises, time frame, etc. [/quote]

Basically normal 5/3/1 but do EDT for the last 10 mins
A recent workout would look like this:

Military press 5/3/1
Dumbell rows 5x5
Hammer press 5x10
Biceps 5x10
EDT section -triceps and side laterals supersetted for 10 mins picking weights I could usually get for 20 reps

[/quote]

Thanks. Triceps meaning a push-down or similar low stress exercise?


#8

[quote]baugust wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]baugust wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I still use it for arms, and shoulders once and a while within 531 template. Goodluck

[/quote]

Do something similar, its a great way to get in a high volume/pump finisher and bring up weak points[/quote]

Would either of you mind providing an example of what you mean? Exercises, time frame, etc. [/quote]

Basically normal 5/3/1 but do EDT for the last 10 mins
A recent workout would look like this:

Military press 5/3/1
Dumbell rows 5x5
Hammer press 5x10
Biceps 5x10
EDT section -triceps and side laterals supersetted for 10 mins picking weights I could usually get for 20 reps

[/quote]

Thanks. Triceps meaning a push-down or similar low stress exercise?[/quote]

yep, an isolation move like scott extensions, rope pressdown etc


#9

My first time lifting weights, I used EDT, specifically this program:

I was a cardio maniac before lifting weights and did a shit load of pushups, pullups, ab work for my Boxing training. I had tons of energy, when I started lifting weights. I think toward the end of the program, I heard about using elitefts bands for weightlifting and working out 2x a day. So I incorporated both later on in the program. I think Id just increase the reps for the 2nd workout of the day, dont really remember what else I did differently on 2nd workout.

Some of my highlight lifts in the program were:
365x6 barbell bench press w/ 2 micro bands (I remember people around me jaws dropped after seeing me do this lift and throwing it up like it was nothing)
500lb deadlift with 2 average bands

I shit you not, in 2 months using this program I gained 50lbs and while doing this program I ran a half-marathon at this unfamiliar heavyweight. I didnt even know I gained all of this weight, until I got on the scale 2 months later I thought I was still 150lbs!

During this time Michael Phelps was a rising star and caught my attention, his diet in particular. I thought if you train hard you got to eat a shit load of calories, so I started regularly eating whole foods pizza post workout with an insane weight gainer protein shake. Additionally, around that time, some T-Nation contributors collaborated to make an article about being a hard gainer, and overcoming it, I think Joe DeFranco was the one who mentioned taking in extra olive oil, so I started drinking a couple olive oil shots on training days.


#10

Thanks for the input guys, that’s some great info.


#11

[quote]VlocoG wrote:
My first time lifting weights, I used EDT, specifically this program:

Some of my highlight lifts in the program were:
365x6 barbell bench press w/ 2 micro bands (I remember people around me jaws dropped after seeing me do this lift and throwing it up like it was nothing)
500lb deadlift with 2 average bands
[/quote]

Impressive, what are you lifting now?


#12

Rampant badger; One I love is Front plate raise—facepulls, you can’t go as long because the muscles are similar, so 5 min, back and forth trying to outdo reps from last workout. My shoulders blow up like bowling balls. I do this at the end of press workout.

For arms I just go back and forth with cable press downs–Cable curls, set up at each end of the cross over, and just walk back and forth. 5 min of hell before you walk out the door, at the ned of 531, I love this. Latter


#13

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Rampant badger; One I love is Front plate raise—facepulls, you can’t go as long because the muscles are similar, so 5 min, back and forth trying to outdo reps from last workout. My shoulders blow up like bowling balls. I do this at the end of press workout.

For arms I just go back and forth with cable press downs–Cable curls, set up at each end of the cross over, and just walk back and forth. 5 min of hell before you walk out the door, at the ned of 531, I love this. Latter[/quote]

I should try that for shoulders one day I can envisage the pump getting pretty insane!

Yep It can be hellish, if having an off day I now need to take a minute before I start to get my head in it mentally and view it as just one one big nasty giant set.


#14

EDT isn’t somthing I can wrap my head around for the big three exercises for any real length of time, 4-6 is a nice break from the big stuff. When I’m training my young hockey players though, and they want some arm work in they’re program it’s awesome.

One of my favorite arm blasters to shut these kids up is this. Throw a mat down in front of a cable station, and have a EZ curl bar at the other end of the mat. Set the cable so it’s about 3ft off the floor with a straight bar, and lay down so the cable is at your feet, and the EZ curl bar is above your head (your laying on the floor) do cable curls to your forehead, and then reach back and grab the EZ curl bar, and do skull crushers to your forehead. Go back and forth for 5mins straight.

This shuts the kids up about wanting an arm day. When this is done there’s not possibly anything else you could do to pump your arms any further, and your laying down the whole time, so no matter what you trained that day. It won’t effect they’re heavy work in a negative way. Love it


#15

675 deadlift( few months back)

385 bench (for quite some time now I veered away from barbell bench press, it doesnt feel good/right for me, i hit this max probably in 2011)

Im on a tight budget, so my strength is suffering, amazing the difference u see in some tweaks with supplements. Like with my budget now, I cant make my mega 100g protein post workout shake, with dextrose, oligodextrin or maltodextrin. Recently, started doing 5 raw eggs, 2 scoops of whey (70g protein)

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]VlocoG wrote:
My first time lifting weights, I used EDT, specifically this program:

Some of my highlight lifts in the program were:
365x6 barbell bench press w/ 2 micro bands (I remember people around me jaws dropped after seeing me do this lift and throwing it up like it was nothing)
500lb deadlift with 2 average bands
[/quote]

Impressive, what are you lifting now?[/quote]