EDT Question

I’ve read Staley’s EDT for body comp article at least 15 times now trying to prepare myself for it as I’ve completed two different strength programs (WSSB and QD) and am now confident that I have enough strength to make good use of a cutting program that utilise good weight to burn/oxidize fat.

My question is regarding the Circuit portion of training. I see the circuit exercises laid out by example, but I can’t figure out the timing or rep scheme of them. I also don’t get why they’re laid out between the core exercise and then the PR zone since throughout the article it sounds like you do the core exercise, then the PR zone and move on. No mention of the circuit that I can find other than the sample days/weeks.

Can anyone explain this for me? Thanks.

The exercises for the PR zones are the core exercises. You perform 2 of the core exercises in 1st PR zone, 2 in 23nd and 2 in 3rd. You alternate the circuits everyrime that you do the routine, just like you change the core exercise everytime. Sinve you use 3 core and 2 circuits, you will not repeat the same routine within a 2 week period. Hope this helps.

I guess I wrote too much to try and ask the question.

How many reps/sets is the circuit part of the program and what is the load that should be used?

[quote]alphuris wrote:
I guess I wrote too much to try and ask the question.

How many reps/sets is the circuit part of the program and what is the load that should be used?[/quote]

Load: 10RM, which is about 75% 1RM.

Sets/reps: Up to you. You have a time limit of 15 minutes. Your goal is to do as many total reps of each exercise in that time frame. How you get there is up to you. Charles generally recommends starting out with 5-6 reps of each exercise with as little rest as possible between sets. But that’s just a recommendation - if you want to start out doing more reps, that’s fine too. Once the 15 minutes winds down and you fatigue, you can take longer rests, you can reduce the reps down to singles if you need to, whatever it takes.

This is what I like about EDT - it lets you work at your own pace and you are not locked in to a pre-determined set/rep scheme that someone else thought was a good idea.

I think I finally figured it out. I guess the circuit is just a basic/classic circuit with once-through 10-12 reps with 30 second rest max between the exercises to kick-start the oxidation phase then the PR zone takes advantage of it by continuing the core-exercise with the as mnay reps as possible in the time phase mentality.

It all makes sense now.

MikeTheBear has the idea: EDT is an auto-regulating system? there are no set parameters, only guidelines. Ask yourself, if you had to lift a 75% (aprox) weight as many times as possible in 15 minutes, how would you go about it? Your best solution to this task is EDT for you. Hope that helps provide some direction, but YOU are the ultimate authority!

[quote]alphuris wrote:
I’ve read Staley’s EDT for body comp article at least 15 times now trying to prepare myself for it as I’ve completed two different strength programs (WSSB and QD) and am now confident that I have enough strength to make good use of a cutting program that utilise good weight to burn/oxidize fat.

My question is regarding the Circuit portion of training. I see the circuit exercises laid out by example, but I can’t figure out the timing or rep scheme of them. I also don’t get why they’re laid out between the core exercise and then the PR zone since throughout the article it sounds like you do the core exercise, then the PR zone and move on. No mention of the circuit that I can find other than the sample days/weeks.

Can anyone explain this for me? Thanks.[/quote]

Guys, thanks for clarifying. I did not understand that X circuit and PR zone were combined together. I thought it was X circuit then PR zone with 1 or two lifts.

Now it’s crystal clear.