T Nation

EDT Plan

If anyone is familiar with EDT, I would appreciate constructive comments on this program I have written up.

Goals: strength/hypertrophy
Fitness level: novice (between beginner and intermediate, though closer to the latter)

This a four day/week program, perhaps a “1,2,x,3,4,x,x” or “1,x,2,x,3,4,x”.

I have scheduled 1 80%1RM per body part per week, so as to avoid burnout. I would be attempting to increase volume each week, per exercise.

(the intensity is represented by % of 1RM)

An issue I see is the fact that EDT does not utilize 1RM% like other programs. Therefore, a strength day (80%) would require higher weights with lower target reps (say 3 instead of the normal 5). Whereas a lighter day (60%) would require lighter weight with higher target reps (perhaps 7 rather than 5). This is the theory, but am not sure how it would feel or how the body would respond. I intend on trying it but thought I would post it here to see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions.

PR Zone Exercise Intensity Day Target Type
A DB Bench Press 80% 1 Pecs Compound
A Bent-over Rows 60% Lats Compound
B Shoulder BB Press 80% Delts Compound
B Shoulder Pull-ups 60% Delts Compound
C Kneeling crunches 80% Abs Isolated
C Standing calve raises 80% calves Isolated

PR Zone Exercise Intensity Day Target
A Back Squats 80% 2 Quads Compound
A BB Curls 80% Bis Isolated
B Good Mornings 60% Hams Compound
B Triceps cable pushdowns 80% Tris Isolated
C DB Shrugs 60% Traps Compound
C Seated calve raises 60% calves Isolated

A Decline Bench Press 60% 3 Pecs Compound
A Lying Rows 80% Lats Compound
B One Armed Should Press 60% Delts Compound
B
C Standing Cable Crunches 60% Abs Isolated
C Standing calve raises 70% calves Isolated

A Front Squats 60% 4 Quads Compound
A Incline Hammer Curls 60% Bis Isolated
B Partial Deadlifts 80% Compound
B
C Seated Crunch 70% Abs Isolated
C Standing calve raises 50% Calves Isolated

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053157

Read this thread.

I have read that thread, and there were some good stories on it.

I did EDT with 2 PR Zones/workout, 3x/week for about 3 or so months. I really got into it. As I mentioned, the thing Im wondering about is how I will be able to stave off burnout by lowering the 1RM% for the second bodypart workout. As you know, at a certain point the intensity factor rises no matter what weight you start with.

One possibility would be to lower the PR Zone from 15 to 10 minutes. If I do a heavy/light Zone 10 minutes would be enough for the heavy movement to really work yet short enough so as to mitigate the fatigue of the light movement. Its the light movement that Im trying to regulate, so as to prevent overwork. Make sense?

Another very vaiable option is to do the heavy work 80-90% prior to the EDT in more traditional straight sets then the PR zones after. Rotate this using the HIGH loads and straight sets for BIG movements and the EDT for accessory work and conditioning as well as hypertrophy.

So you would suggest doing compound movements at say a 10x3 at 80%-90%, then following the same workout with isolated movements using EDT? Or perhaps one day of 10x3 and the next day for the same bodyparts using EDT? I could see how that might work.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Another very vaiable option is to do the heavy work 80-90% prior to the EDT in more traditional straight sets then the PR zones after. Rotate this using the HIGH loads and straight sets for BIG movements and the EDT for accessory work and conditioning as well as hypertrophy.

[/quote]

Exactly. That is what I did and it worked great. Started off doing a 5x5 with a big movement such as squats, push press, front squat, snatch grip deads etc and then my two pr zones. Start off with the most demanding movements first and go down in difficulty and joints involved from there.

Were the subsequent PR Zones working the same bodypart as the 5x5’s?

What I want to do is have something similar to Waterbury’s idea of directly hitting a bodypart twice a week, but varying the volume so as to avoid burnout. So the intensity factor of EDT seems to be the issue.

So for my example above, I could work something like this:

Bench Press 5x5 80%
Bentover Rows 5x5 80%
One armed shoulder press EDT

Then the next time I work these same parts:

BB Pull-ups 5x5 80%
Decline DB Press EDT (target 7 rep sets)
Laying DB Rows EDT (target 7 rep sets)

Is this the idea? Could you provide a sample of the routine you were using?

DB Bench Press 80% 10x3
Bent-over Rows 80% 10x3
A One armed shoulder press Target 5
A (alternating)
B Kneeling cable crunches Target 5
B Standing calve raises Target 5

Back Squats 80% 10x3
Good Mornings 60% 3x10
DB Shrugs 80% 10x3
A BB Curls
A Cable pushdowns

A Decline Bench Press 60% 3x10
A Lying Rows 60% 3x10
B BB Shoulder press
B Pull-ups
C Standing cable crunches
C Seated calve raises

Front Squats 60% 3x10
Partial Deadlifts 90% 10x3
A Seated curls
A Standing calve raises

I did EDT for 8 weeks using a 3 day split and loved it. I did the following splits:

Session 1:
Back Squats for a 5x5
pr zone 1- bent over rows
dumbbell military press(standing)
pr zone 2-dumbbell bench press
-dumbbell hammer curls

Session 2:
Barbell Push Press 5x5
pr zone 1-dumbbell front squat
-neutral grip pulldowns
pr zone 2-leg curls
-lying db tricep extension

Session 3:
Pronated pullups with weight or mini-bands 5x5
pr zone 1-db romanian deadlift alternate left right
pr zone 2-close grip bench press
-chest supported row

The answer has been provided for you.

Always do the heavy lifting first in the program. Use the EDT zones after. There are a number of sample programs here designed along an intensity continuum.

Chad’s ‘Waterbury Method’ is a good example. Staley also provides sample templates incorporating EDT that begin with a heavy lift.

Thanks. Im curious about the balance. You seem to have targeted most the delts and lats. Was there a reason for the format you chose? A longer look at my routines is suggesting I may be overly enthusiastic with the volume. Did you feel you couldve done 2 heavy movements with the EDT Zones or was one enough? I’ll be experimenting but its good to get others experience.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
The answer has been provided for you.

Always do the heavy lifting first in the program. Use the EDT zones after. There are a number of sample programs here designed along an intensity continuum.

Chad’s ‘Waterbury Method’ is a good example. Staley also provides sample templates incorporating EDT that begin with a heavy lift. [/quote]

Ill look up Staley. All ive seen is the strength plateau article he wrote which is not what im looking for. Am familiar with Waterbury, and thats basically what im trying to imitate, but using EDT. Thanks for the heads up.

Check out Charles’s site at
http://www.staleytraining.com/
If your into buying a book, Muscle Logic is a excellent “reference” book on EDt. Also, check out his DVD, Escalating Density Training. It is awesome and will answer any question you have on EDT. He also has some great distance training.

[quote]Mike Sullivan wrote:
Phill wrote:

Exactly. That is what I did and it worked great. Started off doing a 5x5 with a big movement such as squats, push press, front squat, snatch grip deads etc and then my two pr zones. Start off with the most demanding movements first and go down in difficulty and joints involved from there.

[/quote]

Yes like this.

Though I did have luck doing compound EDT on a one day on off sched. you had to deload everty third week big time it was demanding as all hell.

Going this route you can really move the large load to elict strength and growth and then further with the EDT.

Two great ingredients combined can and often do make a big Pile of POOOO. Seperate they are great combined they become a big terd.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
If your into buying a book, Muscle Logic is a excellent “reference” book on EDt. Also, check out his DVD, Escalating Density Training. It is awesome and will answer any question you have on EDT. He also has some great distance training.[/quote]

THanks. I actually did get the book when i began EDT early in the year and also got the dvd. The book doesnt really mention much about what im doing unless i missed something. i’ll look through it again. Was disappointed with the dvd, seemed to be aimed at beginners and didnt answer any of the questions i had hoped it would.

Sully has given you a perfect sample template to play around with. You could also do a 10x3 in the first movement of what he has given you instead of 5x5. Just a thought. If you want a better opinion of your program you can subscribe to http://community.staleytraining.com

It’s Charle’s logging website that you can subscribe to for a really low monthly fee.

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
RoadWarrior wrote:
If your into buying a book, Muscle Logic is a excellent “reference” book on EDt. Also, check out his DVD, Escalating Density Training. It is awesome and will answer any question you have on EDT. He also has some great distance training.

THanks. I actually did get the book when i began EDT early in the year and also got the dvd. The book doesnt really mention much about what im doing unless i missed something. i’ll look through it again. Was disappointed with the dvd, seemed to be aimed at beginners and didnt answer any of the questions i had hoped it would.
[/quote]

You might want to try his distance coaching. He has several programs at various prices. Best thing to do is give Julianne a call (number on the website) or send her a PM at teamstaley. She has a softspot for people from T-Nation.

Also here are some links you may want to check out:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=632710

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459874

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=238edt2

This is an interesting thread on EDT

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=848218

Here are my thoughts on his distance coaching:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=755360&pageNo=0#755360