EDT Opinion

What is your opinion of Charles Staley’s EDT programs (soley for hypertrophy/ body composition)

Anyone?

EDT is awesome, especially if you are currently doing lower-volume or strength style routines.

Did it for arms many moons ago and made great gains. Enjoyed the workouts too, kept me fresh and motivated. In and out of the gym pretty quick. I’d say go for it, just be ready to sweat! Oh, and definitely use cryotherapy immediately after your workout.

Did it for arms on two separate occasions. Most recently I put a solid half inch on them in about 5 weeks. I like to do it as a change of pace. It’s grueling. Defintely worth trying.

I’ve been doing EDT on and off over the past year. I really like it and I’ve made some good gains in size and strength.

I’ve found that it’s really good for body composition, but if I do it for more than two weeks, then I’ll get into an overtrained state.

thanks for the help guys

anyone like to give me an example what they did for their EDT protocal?

I train MMA 3-4x a week so “arm specializing” and stuff isn’t really my goal. But I don’t have a fight or anything coming up soon so I would like to focus on body composition (just for ego sake)…

what do you think?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
thanks for the help guys

anyone like to give me an example what they did for their EDT protocal?

I train MMA 3-4x a week so “arm specializing” and stuff isn’t really my goal. But I don’t have a fight or anything coming up soon so I would like to focus on body composition (just for ego sake)…

what do you think?[/quote]

Well, when I did EDT, I never actually did the arm specialization routine. I always did more of a standard split and trained the whole body. Here’s a typical routine that I did:

All A and B pairings were done in a 15 PR zone. The C pairing were done in a 10 min zone.

Monday - Chest and Bi’s
A1 - Flat DB Bench
A2 - Seated DB Curls
B1 - Incline BB Press
B2 - Incline Hammer Curls
C1 - Wrist Curls
C2 - Reverse DB Wrist Curls

Tuesday - Quads and Hams
A1 - Front Squats
A2 - Lying Leg curls
B1 - One Legged Squats
B2 - Romainian Deadlifts
C1 - Lunges (left leg)
C2 - Lunges (right leg)

Thursday - Back and Tris
A1 - Chins
A2 - Reverse Tri-pressdown
B1 - BB Row
B2 - Dips
C1 - Rack Deadlifts
C2 - Crunches

Friday - Calves and Shoulders
A1 - Standing Calf Raises
A2 - DB Overhead Press
B1 - Donkey Calf Raises
B2 - DB Laterals
C1 - Seated Calf Raises
C2 - Dorsiflexion

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

I agree that EDT can work very well. I stick very religiously to my four day on, one day off routine…however there are times when I feel like I’ve reached a slump…That’s when I’ll break out EDT for a week or two, just to shock myself out of the slump and then I’ll go back to my routine. In that respect, EDT worked great.

excellent, in a few weeks i need somethign to switch things up. I don’t know if can use as much volume as you guys i’m training 2x a day as it is.

Angry Vadar, I seem to remember CS writing that using exercises like squats during EDT wasn’t the best idea. I think it was because it’d be hard to keep strict form and a good tempo on complex exercises as you neared your PR every workout. I thought he recommended leg presses, extensions and curls. How were your results using exercises like front squats during your EDT training?