EDT on Acid

My long awaited program is finally done!!! It’s an EDT/lactate hybrid training that will (hopefully) melt off fat like hot butter. I’m inspiring myself from Charle’s Staley’s fat burning EDT and lactate inducing training. The big lines are these:

• I’ll start with a strength oriented 5X3 compound first to maintain or maybe increase strength and increase muscle retention.

• Then, I start with my first 15 min. Pr. that consists of 3 exercises back to back. I’ve choses mostly compound exercises that I will use my 12 reps max for, for a total of 15 reps (5 per exercice) in a set. Original EDT has 2 exercises per PR, I’ve added a third to stimulate lactate.

• After, I’ll add a second PR zone with 3 exercises again.

That’s it. Now, there is my exercice selection :

DAY 1
5X3 DB Press
Machine squats
Standing DB Row - Left
Standing DB Row - Right

Pullovers
DB Deadlift
Hanging leg raise

Day 2
5X3 Squats
Assisted pullups
Machine abs
Pushups

Machine Rows
Tricep Pushdown
Reverse curls

DAY 3
5X3 Power Clean
Cable cross
Close grip pulldown
reverse Dips

Lunge - Left
Lunge - Right
Power curls

I had to make my selection of exercises based on my very crowded gym configuration. I’ll do 1 hour low intensity cardio on off days to promote recovery. For supplements, I’ll use fat burners before training and BCAA’S after my first PR zone.

So, waddaya think? Does this looks like it has fat burning potential? I’ll start tomorrow and I’ll keep this post updated. Please feel free to make comments/flaming/treats at your will.

This will kick your ass if it doesn’t “trip” you up!

Looks pretty good. If it was me, I think I would do band work and a few lifts with light weight rather than cardio for the active recovery, but if you really want to shed the fat fast …

seems like a lot of machine work and you don’t really seem to be addressing the posterior chain at all but to each his own… good luck

also… with the rows and lunges, i noticed you use the left and right arms/legs as seperate exercises… however, if you want the most bang for you buck… maybe replace the standing one arm db rows with a two handed movement and add a new third exercise… same idea with the lunges, possibly replace it with front squats and then maybe some romanian deadlifts?

Big Hog, you are right. I shall not wuss out in this and I’ll change one of my PR :

5X3 DB Press
Machine squats
Standing DB Row - Left
Standing DB Row - Right

To this:

5X3 DB Press
Machine squats
BB Rows
Stiff legged deadlift

But I think I’ll keep my lunges as they are. There is this thing going on between me and lunges. I hate them, and they hate me. They kick my ass too much. So I’ll keep them that way, separating them like that seems better for me.

Sharetrader, What I had in mind for cardio was simply take a one hour walk outside, you know, get some fresh air. Stretching will also be a part of my off-days.

Oh and Big Hog, There is some DB beadlift included that will train the posterior chain.

Cool. Sounds good.

Alright… give the program a go and see what happens… never really know until you try it

I did that workout today :

5X3 DB Press
Machine squats
BB rows
Stiff legged deadlift

Pullovers
Reverse dips
Hanging leg raise

All I can say is this : Ho-lee shit. I never sweated so much, even when I did cardio. It beat my ass hard. I did 55 reps on the first and 48 on the second. Keep in mind the weight I use is relatively low (I’m guessing 60%) and 55 reps means 55 reps of each, so 165 reps total.

But I noticed one thing wrong, the first PR has TOO MUCH lower back stimulation. I’m already sore, I don’t wanna imagine tomorrow lol. So I made a little change, my program will look like this in the future :

DAY 1
5X3 DB Press
Machine squats
BB rows
Power curls

Pullovers
Reverse dips
Hanging leg raise

Day 2
5X3 Squats
Assisted pullups
Machine abs
Pushups

Machine Rows
Tricep Pushdown
Reverse curls

DAY 3
5X3 Power Clean
Cable cross
Close grip pulldown
DB deadlift

Lunge - Left
Lunge - Right
Stiff legged deadlift

I’ll keep this tread alive. I really think it has a strong fat burning potential. I’ll have to stretch a lot, I’m sure…

[quote]gogotheviking wrote:
I did that workout today :

… I’m already sore, I don’t wanna imagine tomorrow lol.

I’ll keep this tread alive. I really think it has a strong fat burning potential. I’ll have to stretch a lot, I’m sure…

[/quote]

Ice bath, if you’re up for it.

Haha no thanks for the ice bath. I’d try an ice massage though, but I don’t have a girlfriend.

And by the way, my lower back is sore as hell today, and I can feel I worked my back pretty well. I also was much more hungry the day after. Normal I guess.

What do you think of doing singles in the EDT format?

[quote]Red Son wrote:
What do you think of doing singles in the EDT format?[/quote]

I think it is a good idea for strength specific training. Remember to always keep very good form when doing heavy singles, you don’t wanna hurt yourself just for the sake of trying to beat your PR.

Also, Charles Staley mentionned this in his EDT for fat loss article. Do a search. Basically he proposes using doing 15 min. of singles and once you can beat 12 reps, up the weight. This is a part of the fat burning EDT to keep strength up while cutting and to help retain muscle mass.

I wanted to do that, but because I’ve choses to do power cleans and I’m new to them, I chose to do 5X3 for safety’s sake. If I had choses Deadlifts, I would have done the 15 min. PR for motivational purposes.

That’s why I like EDT, very motivational. Basically, you try to kick your own ass every time, which I like.

Thanks for the reply… I thought that I would change it up from time to time. Maybe do EDT singles for a month or sooooo, and then do a more moderate rep the next.

[quote]Red Son wrote:
Thanks for the reply… I thought that I would change it up from time to time. Maybe do EDT singles for a month or sooooo, and then do a more moderate rep the next. [/quote]

I would not personnaly do Singles only. Were you thinking of doing something like 3 15 min. of singles, 3 times a week, you’ll fry your CNS. If you want to do singles, I’d do it like Charles Staley said, one time at the start of your workout.

I did my second workout today. I feel like I put too much weight. One of my PR was 50 and the other was 44. I feel my muscles giving up before my breath does.

My first PR I did was 55 reps and my muscles were burning but not giving up, and I was breathing heavily. I think that shows a sign of lactate accumulation, which I’m seeking for fat burning purposes. I’ll aim for 55-60 reps to start, and build up from there for a month or so, depending on my energy levels.

Let’s just say my first week was a test week.

I don’t really know what PR means…

[quote]Stroncal wrote:
I don’t really know what PR means…[/quote]

I think you should read this :

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1484197

And this :

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459309

Being motivated is but one side of the coin. The other is being well informed.

[quote]gogotheviking wrote:
Red Son wrote:
Thanks for the reply… I thought that I would change it up from time to time. Maybe do EDT singles for a month or sooooo, and then do a more moderate rep the next.

I would not personnaly do Singles only. Were you thinking of doing something like 3 15 min. of singles, 3 times a week, you’ll fry your CNS. If you want to do singles, I’d do it like Charles Staley said, one time at the start of your workout. [/quote]

No, What I was thinking was doing lets say Mon I want to do chest. The first 15 I would do bench for singles and another exercise. The next 15 I would do something lighter. Then on lets say Wed, I would do heavy singles for back and then heavy singles for legs on Fri. Does tat still sound off?

I meant to tell you that I am attempting to loose BF as well. That is the reasoning of the heavy w/o’s. Thanks for input.

Well the way you intend to do it seems fine to me. It looks a lot like what CS recommended.

I really think any form of EDT will burn fat faster than conventional programs. In my head, EDT looks like HIIT with weights.