T Nation

EDT + HRX: Counterproductive?

Hi everyone this is my first post here.
So I’d briefly introduce myself.

I am a chinese (HK) and have been training for 6 yrs, of which 4 yrs was crappy. I am now 226lbs (6"1’), and this was bulked up from 183lbs (8 packs but skinny) from last sept. I work out at a commercial health club with carpet.

It started out with a clean bulk, gained 10lbs from eating more and AGVT. Then I did Pavel’s 5x5x5 for more strength. After that I did 1 month of cleaning, 1-arm snatching, high pulls, etc. then WS4SB.

Poor PRs [Goal this yr]:
Bench: 281lbs x2 [Goal: 315 x1]
Front Squats: 281lbs x2 [315 x1]
Deadlift: 500lbs x1 [550 x1]
Clean: 275lbs x1 [315 x1]
1-arm BB snatch 110lbs x3 [135 x1]
Military BB Press: 180lbs x1 [225 x1]

Well the diet and routine was messed up with x’mas, new year, and chinese new year so the clean bulk became a fatty bulk. So I decided to do EDT to lose some fat. Routine as followed:

Day A:
PR Zone1 (15min)
DB Snatch
PR Zone2
Pull up/Push Press

Day B:
PR Zone1
Bulgarian Split Squats
PR Zone2
Bench/BB Row

I work with this routine 3 times a week for the past 4 weeks and my stamina increases. Fat loss was not really obvious so I want to add HOT-ROX Extreme as the stimulus. It’s my first day today and I took 1 pill upon wakeup and 1 pill b4 workout. I don’t know whether it’s because I didn’t sleep well last night or the pill, the workout became very hard and my heart beat so fast!

Now my question is, EDT style training has already kept my heart rate high throughout the workout, caffeine in HOT-ROX will obviously make it even higher, and I have to rest a bit longer than usual to start another set, i.e. less number of reps in 1 15min PR Zone.

• Do they not match each other in this way? *

Thanks. Sorry it became a little long.

I haven’t done EDT style training, so take you can take my advice for what it’s worth, but I do not like HRX pre-workout.

When I took it pre-workout, I felt like I was hot, my heart was beating faster than normal and it took longer for it to return to a normal rate, and sometimes if I cranked the intensity, I would feel like I was on the verge of getting a splitting headache.

When I took HRX, I would take one first thing in the morning and then one after my workout (I usually workout mid-day). If your workout is in the evening, try taking one early morning, and one 5-6 hours later.

I would think that as long as you don’t take it within a couple hours of your workout, you should be fine.

Modi-how long did you take them? I ask because my first few weeks I had that weird nervous feeling. After that I lost the feeling and now am left with that nice alert feeling. Maybe you just needed to let your body adjust to them.

I have been taking HRX for about 2 months now. I initially took them for a short weight loss phase. I continued taking them because I hit the gym at 5:30 am. I take them at 4:30 when I wake and by the time I’m at the gym I’m REALLY awake. I have not had any racing heart or headache side affects. Just a nervous feeling like I said.

lou2s-It’s probably good you only took 1 pill at a time. I started with one and after a week went to two. HUGE difference. If it negatively effects your training I would stop. Do you eat anything after you take them? I usually eat about 15 min after I take mine. I really thing that might blunt some of your side affects.

[quote]lou2s wrote:
Hi everyone this is my first post here.
So I’d briefly introduce myself.

I am a chinese (HK) and have been training for 6 yrs, of which 4 yrs was crappy. I am now 226lbs (6"1’), and this was bulked up from 183lbs (8 packs but skinny) from last sept. I work out at a commercial health club with carpet.

It started out with a clean bulk, gained 10lbs from eating more and AGVT. Then I did Pavel’s 5x5x5 for more strength. After that I did 1 month of cleaning, 1-arm snatching, high pulls, etc. then WS4SB.

Poor PRs [Goal this yr]:
Bench: 281lbs x2 [Goal: 315 x1]
Front Squats: 281lbs x2 [315 x1]
Deadlift: 500lbs x1 [550 x1]
Clean: 275lbs x1 [315 x1]
1-arm BB snatch 110lbs x3 [135 x1]
Military BB Press: 180lbs x1 [225 x1]

Well the diet and routine was messed up with x’mas, new year, and chinese new year so the clean bulk became a fatty bulk. So I decided to do EDT to lose some fat. Routine as followed:

Day A:
PR Zone1 (15min)
DB Snatch
PR Zone2
Pull up/Push Press

Day B:
PR Zone1
Bulgarian Split Squats
PR Zone2
Bench/BB Row

I work with this routine 3 times a week for the past 4 weeks and my stamina increases. Fat loss was not really obvious so I want to add HOT-ROX Extreme as the stimulus. It’s my first day today and I took 1 pill upon wakeup and 1 pill b4 workout. I don’t know whether it’s because I didn’t sleep well last night or the pill, the workout became very hard and my heart beat so fast!

Now my question is, EDT style training has already kept my heart rate high throughout the workout, caffeine in HOT-ROX will obviously make it even higher, and I have to rest a bit longer than usual to start another set, i.e. less number of reps in 1 15min PR Zone.

• Do they not match each other in this way? *

Thanks. Sorry it became a little long.[/quote]

first of all HRX is a great standalone fatburner but my suggestion for you would be to take on workout days either 1. Spike Shooter which by the way tastes great and will help you through any kind of workout including edt !
2. regular Spike or Caffeine-Free version
take the Spike on your edt days and HRX the other days and let us know !

good luck t-swede

I use HRX and EDT. I take HRX and then run or use an elliptical for 60 to 90 minutes. I then do an EDT session. Its brutal, but I’m dropping fat like crazy, even after a couple of months of use. I don’t think HRX is counterproductive at all.

If you have access, try using a pool for your aerobic.

Keep some Powerade on hand if you feel lightheaded, due to the aerobics first.

Note: I do aerobic first because I want to be able to fight when I’m exhausted (TKD). Helps when you have 3 or more fights in a tournament.

[quote]cueball wrote:
Modi-how long did you take them? I ask because my first few weeks I had that weird nervous feeling. After that I lost the feeling and now am left with that nice alert feeling. Maybe you just needed to let your body adjust to them.
[/quote]

I took them for 2 months. I didn’t stop taking them, I just moved my second dose to post workout. I didn’t get a big rush out of them, I just felt hot and felt my HR elevated. I felt like they were taking away from my workout, so that’s why I switched my timing.