T Nation

EDT help

I am trying to construct a chest program using EDT principles, but I am failing miserably. I haven’t found any on the forum or the back issues, maybe I am missing some since I am sure I am not the only one who would want to do this. I am going to do supersets with back exercises, but I wasn’t sure if I had to do this in order for the program to be effective. I am planning on doing 15 minute intervals. The first day would consist of bench press/bent-over rows (DB or BB), and then decline bench and T-bar rows. The second day would be DB Inclines/high cable rows followed by DB flyes/DB pullovers (maybe?). How does this exercise selection look? I am trying to work opposing muscle groups in the same plane like the arms specialization does, but I know this doesn’t do it exactly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How many days a week do you plan on doing this? What will the rest of your workout look like? Have you previously performed the EDT that has been outlined in the articles? What type of workout have you been doing for your chest? Remember that a good rule to follow is that if something is not growing its best to reduce before you add. More is not better. Efficient is better. Pending you have been working the muscle and have seen no result from your efforts.

Here’s an upper body EDT routine I used twice weekly: Incline Dumbbell Presses paired with Supinated Chins - 20 minute block. Rest 5-10 minutes then: Parallel Bar Dips paired with Seated Cable Rows - 20 minute block. This worked absolute wonders for me, and my arms grew without any additional direct work. I performed this routine twice weekly (i.e., Mondays and Thursdays).

Currently, I am finishing up six weeks of the EDT arms specialization, two days of arms(M and Th), one chest/back workout(F) and one leg workout(T) per week. I usually lift M/T/Th/F and take the weekends off. During the chest/back workout, I usually do 6-8 sets for each body part. I tried to keep the volume down since I was focusing on my arms and I didn’t want that progress to suffer, and it didn’t. Before this program, I did 5x5 for six weeks or so. My chest development has really been lacking the last six months or so, and I am just looking for a kick in the ass to get them back to a respectable size. I have had good results specializing on one body part in the past and have had good success with EDT so I think it might be the answer.

You might consider taking 1 week inbetween mesocycles and just perform half of the volume before you proceed with this workout since it will be kind of tough. This will allow you to recover adequately before you begin again. Remember that you will be in a rushed state and that you probably do not want to do an exercise that is too technically demanding. This is for hypertrophy not so much strength. So using a machine bench press and a machine row would not be a bad idea. But if you are confident that you will keep form then what you have proposed should be ok. DB Bench/bent over rows, then maybe flyes and rear delt raises. Then second day of chest EDT DB incline press / pullups, then dips and seated row or something to that extent. Let me know what you think.

Just want to second what Greg said. I would consider a regular free-bar bench press too technically demanding for EDT. A machine press would be all right; failing that, I’d opt for flyes or dips.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was thinking along the same lines of what you both said regarding the technical aspects of those lifts, but I was worried about doing exercises that did not recruit a lot of fibers. Rear delt raises was one that I was considering doing, but I wasn’t sure if I should be picking exercises that concentrate more on isolating one particular muscle rather than a more complex lift. I will give that one a try, and use cables for the rows and probably the presses.