T Nation

EDT Got Me A Job

True story.

I went for a job interview at a gym, for “fitness staff” (a combination of supervisor, program designer, and personal trainer. Don’t hate). This was already my second interview, and I was given an imaginary client that I had to write a program for.

I like EDT a lot. My clients also like EDT. I decided to use EDT for this program, for the imaginary client. My interviewer then examined the program I wrote, and she was very impressed. She told me she has never seen something like that. She really liked the concept that it was really self-regulating (ie progressive overload is built in).

Just wanted to share a cool story. EDT rocks!

Um, weren’t YOU supposed to write a program? I’m not trying to be a dick or anything, but this would be plagiarism in any other field.

I guess I’m guilty of plagiarizing EC, MR, Dave Tate, CT, Joe Defrancoe, Chad Waterbury, Mark Rippetoe, etc. . . in designing programs.

sarcasm

I’m sure Charles Staley would be extremely happy to hear that his ideas have helped someone else.

Make the best of the new job!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Um, weren’t YOU supposed to write a program? I’m not trying to be a dick or anything, but this would be plagiarism in any other field.[/quote]

If we held trainers to a rule like that, you’d see even more ridiculous shit than you see now.

Were you given any stats or goals or training history of this imaginary client?

If I had asked someone to work alongside me in my gym, I’d be even more impressed if he/she had asked me all those questions before the routine was written up in order to write up a very specific routine for a given set of circumstances.

I believe I’d come up with a different routine for a 61 y/o country club ownner with no training experience and wants to train 2x per week than a 23 y/o motorcross rider training for his upcoming season.

Still, congratulations on the new job, and never stop reading/researching and always be open-minded.

[quote]kligor wrote:
I like EDT a lot. My clients also like EDT. [/quote]

Congrats on the job. If you have a laptop handy (maybe difficult in a public gym), you can use the EDT Workout Tracker that I wrote a while back to comparatively chart their progress in real time. It can track multiple clients separately, too (File/Set User). There’s more info in this thread :

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1492558

or

http://www.brienv.com/edt-tracker/index.html

I really like EDT can you put up your sample routine, like to compare it to mine.
Thanks

[quote]derek wrote:
Were you given any stats or goals or training history of this imaginary client?

If I had asked someone to work alongside me in my gym, I’d be even more impressed if he/she had asked me all those questions before the routine was written up in order to write up a very specific routine for a given set of circumstances.

I believe I’d come up with a different routine for a 61 y/o country club ownner with no training experience and wants to train 2x per week than a 23 y/o motorcross rider training for his upcoming season.

Still, congratulations on the new job, and never stop reading/researching and always be open-minded.[/quote]

Yep, I was given very detailed information. Not that it matters, but my hypothetical client was 45 years old, 50 pounds overweight, poor flexibility in the sit and reach, poor posture, and hates exercise. The only reason he’s in the gym is because his doctor told him to go. Can only train 3 times per week for 45 minutes, max.

So yeah, I made the program specific to this client. The interviewer was impressed :slight_smile:

[quote]print wrote:
I really like EDT can you put up your sample routine, like to compare it to mine.
Thanks[/quote]

I don’t really remember it too well. I was just left alone in a room for an hour with a notepad, and told to come up with a program for this hypothetical client. I didn’t actually get this stuff on a computer. But, going by what I remember, this was what I included in the program:

Warm up included 5 minutes on cardio machine of choice, and 5 minutes of prehab work, and posture correction. I won’t go into detail on this.

Strength training:

PR zone 1:
A1) squats
A2) lat pulldowns with supinated grip

PR zone 2:
B1) partial ROM deadlifts (tight hamstrings, so can’t go down all the way)
B2) seated rows

I made each PR zone only 12 minutes, not 15.

For cool down, I wrote more prehab and posture work.

EDT is excellent. Charles Staley is actually the reason I found T-Mag. He’s also the reason I got certified through ISSA.

Congrats on the job.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Um, weren’t YOU supposed to write a program? I’m not trying to be a dick or anything, but this would be plagiarism in any other field.[/quote]

He did. It is a template. Jesus, what do you want from people? If a Graphic Designer or musician wasn’t allowed to use fuck all that another design or composition template another person had used, or created, there would be an abrupt halt to those industries.

Just because you decide to use EDT, HIT, GVT whatever… style programs because you know this style of training will benefit the client the most, it isnt ripping off the idea, it is being experienced enough to know when to use a different program than normal to maximise results, and not egotistic enough to simply believe your programs are the best anyone can use…

Joe

EDT?

Erectile Dysfunction Therapy…

I’m kidding, I’m kidding; I kid…

Congrats on your job.

Wow, I’m 364 days late to this conversation, but great story!

[quote]kligor wrote:
True story.

I went for a job interview at a gym, for “fitness staff” (a combination of supervisor, program designer, and personal trainer. Don’t hate). This was already my second interview, and I was given an imaginary client that I had to write a program for.

I like EDT a lot. My clients also like EDT. I decided to use EDT for this program, for the imaginary client. My interviewer then examined the program I wrote, and she was very impressed. She told me she has never seen something like that. She really liked the concept that it was really self-regulating (ie progressive overload is built in).

Just wanted to share a cool story. EDT rocks![/quote]