EDT for Bulking?

Anyone here had good results with EDT during a bulk? it seems like all i hear about it is how well it’s worked for fat loss and improving work capacity

It might work pretty well, but in all honesty, I’ve seen the best hypertrophy results in myself and others using heavy weights for about 5-8 sets of 5-8 reps and really pushing it on every set. Nothing high-tech.

David i think you might be suffering from training ADD.

You are putting FAR too much thought WHICH program to use, that you wont get to start any :slight_smile:

Everyone gets it at the start till someone tells them, so ima tell you !

Just pick one, do it for 1 month then do another.

Pick a program, work it til it dont work no more or isnt giving you the results your looking for, then switch things up.

You CAN’T go wrong with a 5x5 (or start with a 3x5 and move on to the 5x5). Not saying thats the best way to train for every goal.
But the 5x5 is an amazingly effective program for size and strength that works for an extended period of time for just about anyone who uses it. If youre looking to pack some decent size and strength quickly, it works grrrrrreat.
If you’re an advanced bber just trying to bring up your serratus, rhomboids and forearms before next season, its NOT a great way to train.

I did it for a few months last year and gained mass pretty well - from 83 to 86 kg in six weeks. It was a nice change but the amount of food I had to eat definitely went up. And at my level really just about anything works well.

Im doing EDT soon here to so Ill let you know how that goes.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
It might work pretty well, but in all honesty, I’ve seen the best hypertrophy results in myself and others using heavy weights for about 5-8 sets of 5-8 reps and really pushing it on every set. Nothing high-tech.[/quote]

5-8 sets for the muscle or for one exercise for the muscle?
just once a week?

[quote]Corkonian wrote:
David i think you might be suffering from training ADD.

You are putting FAR too much thought WHICH program to use, that you wont get to start any :slight_smile:

Everyone gets it at the start till someone tells them, so ima tell you !

Just pick one, do it for 1 month then do another.[/quote]

lol i just like to see whats worked for others. Im currently following NROL routines and have been for 12 weeks now

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
You CAN’T go wrong with a 5x5 (or start with a 3x5 and move on to the 5x5). Not saying thats the best way to train for every goal.
But the 5x5 is an amazingly effective program for size and strength that works for an extended period of time for just about anyone who uses it. If youre looking to pack some decent size and strength quickly, it works grrrrrreat.

If you’re an advanced bber just trying to bring up your serratus, rhomboids and forearms before next season, its NOT a great way to train.[/quote]

straight sets or ramping?

Google ‘elitemadcow’ (seriiously, thats the name of the guy) and try Bill Starr’s linear 5x5. Maybe start with a 3x5 first (starting strength, texas method) to build up your big three lifts and barbell row, and then switch ti 5 x 5. 3 months of this and you’ll have more size, much more strength and will be ready to try something like EDT that focuses purely on ‘work’ done.

If you’re willing to put in the hardwork and push your balls to the wall, it can be used for bulking…but you’d need to support the nutrition side more…

This is a really good program, just make sure you eat enough, can’t stress that enough.

Google ‘elitemadcow’ (seriiously, thats the name of the guy) and try Bill Starr’s linear 5x5. Maybe start with a 3x5 first (starting strength, texas method) to build up your big three lifts and barbell row, and then switch ti 5 x 5. 3 months of this and you’ll have more size, much more strength and will be ready to try something like EDT that focuses purely on ‘work’ done.[/quote]

i’ve done bill starrs 5x5 before. it was definitely a fun routine, i gained alright size but i didnt have a good way to track bf% back then.
do u feel ramping sets or straight sets are better for size? i would think straight

Ive never made progress past 6 weeks with EDT… but that’s just me. I think its a good short term program.

What are your lifts like? Stick with the 5x5 longer. Its a tried and tested approach. Starr recommends straight sets.
Anything works as long as the load keeps moving upwards tbh.

As far as keeping the body guessing, alternating between a high volume low frequency approach and a high frequency low volume aproach (milking each to the extent possible) can over time add a lot of size, provided you maintain your caloric surplus. if you feel youre getting fat, time your carbs, taper your carbs, carb cycle, do cardio whatever…but maintain a caloric surplus for a long enough period for your body to add size and hold on to it.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
tribunaldude wrote:
Google ‘elitemadcow’ (seriiously, thats the name of the guy) and try Bill Starr’s linear 5x5. Maybe start with a 3x5 first (starting strength, texas method) to build up your big three lifts and barbell row, and then switch ti 5 x 5. 3 months of this and you’ll have more size, much more strength and will be ready to try something like EDT that focuses purely on ‘work’ done.

i’ve done bill starrs 5x5 before. it was definitely a fun routine, i gained alright size but i didnt have a good way to track bf% back then.
do u feel ramping sets or straight sets are better for size? i would think straight[/quote]

What are your lifts like? Stick with the 5x5 longer. Its a tried and tested approach. Starr recommends straight sets.
Anything works as long as the load keeps moving upwards tbh.

As far as keeping the body guessing, alternating between a high volume low frequency approach and a high frequency low volume aproach (milking each to the extent possible) can over time add a lot of size, provided you maintain your caloric surplus. if you feel youre getting fat, time your carbs, taper your carbs, carb cycle, do cardio whatever…but maintain a caloric surplus for a long enough period for your body to add size and hold on to it.

[/quote]

bill starr doesnt recommend straight sets, he says to start with 50% then 62.5, 75, 87.5, 100% (ramping).

what is ur opinion of other progressions such as decreased rest, increased reps, increased sets compared to just adding weight? technically all of those add to the load per unit of time

my lifts arent too great, i’m not much stronger than i was when i finished the 5x5 awhile ago.
deadlift- around 300
bench- around 175
squat- probably about 250 atg