EDT for Body Composition

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
PS Bearhawk is right - 2 PR zones each workout is plenty. If you are in good enough shape to do 3 PR zones as well as the singles, I doubt if your body composition needs any adjustment![/quote]

Eh, not sure about that. I sort of overdid it with the Massive Eating on this last bulk. haha. I’m not fat, but I can afford to lean out. But you would recommmend starting the program with 2 PR zones? And adding a 3rd later if at all?

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
PS Bearhawk is right - 2 PR zones each workout is plenty. If you are in good enough shape to do 3 PR zones as well as the singles, I doubt if your body composition needs any adjustment![/quote]

Charles recommends core movement plus 3 PR zones. If he thought 2 PRs were enough I’m guessing thats all he would have included. Direct from the article:

“In essence, what we’ll do is to position high-efficiency maximal strength loading sessions immediately prior to higher-volume training, which creates an intense demand on the metabolic and endocrine systems, thus triggering fat oxidation and muscular hypertrophy.”

[quote]!vic wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
PS Bearhawk is right - 2 PR zones each workout is plenty. If you are in good enough shape to do 3 PR zones as well as the singles, I doubt if your body composition needs any adjustment!

Charles recommends core movement plus 3 PR zones. If he thought 2 PRs were enough I’m guessing thats all he would have included. Direct from the article:

“In essence, what we’ll do is to position high-efficiency maximal strength loading sessions immediately prior to higher-volume training, which creates an intense demand on the metabolic and endocrine systems, thus triggering fat oxidation and muscular hypertrophy.”[/quote]

In my numerous questions to Charles he has stated that 2 PR zones are usually enough. That was as of last week. Hopefully Charles will eventually weigh in on the question for you.
He must be busy because he hasn’t had one of his own newsletters out in quite awhile. Again in those article’s he has said 1 core and 2 PR zones. Help Charles!!! :slight_smile:

[quote]In my numerous questions to Charles he has stated that 2 PR zones are usually enough. That was as of last week. Hopefully Charles will eventually weigh in on the question for you.
He must be busy because he hasn’t had one of his own newsletters out in quite awhile. Again in those article’s he has said 1 core and 2 PR zones. Help Charles!!! :-)[/quote]

I think you may want to re-read your posts. Your original question to Charles was about combining EDT with a total body approach. I’m sure his single reply that stated:

“I think you could probably do (2) 15-minute PR Zones per workout. In some cases 3 is optimal, but 2 is often plenty”

was specific to your EDT adaptation, not to the “Lose The Fat, Keep The Strength: Escalating Density Training For Body Comp Breakthroughs” article.

The contributing authors submit specific training plans which target specific goals and are intended to be executed as written. A common beginner mistake is to use only parts of a total plan and expect the same results. If you want the results promised, follow the plan:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459309

Good Luck

Im so confused on this right now, can someone explain this to me:

in the other EDT for Fatloss, Keep the Strength article…

he wrote about

Core, Circut, Then PR Zone (I think)

what is the deal with the circut?

I understand the core and PR zones… where does the circut come into play and how many sets/reps should be done?

I’m talking about this EDT article:
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=238edt2

I’m going to side with the camp that says 2 PR Zones are just fine for EDT Fatloss. I came to this conclusion by looking at the way the program is designed. That third PR Zone only has you doing abs and a small muscle group (forearms or calves). This is not going to be too taxing. If you choose to do it, you’ll get some ab and forearm/calf work. If you don’t, I seriously doubt that you’ll much in the way of fat loss benefits given the small muscle groups involved.

The circuits ARE the PR Zones. The PR Zones are simply circuits of two exercises performed for a specified amount of time (15 minutes) as opposed to a specified number of reps. Some people call “a circuit of two exercises” a superset, but I think that the technically correct definition of a superset is to work muscles that are direct antagonists of one another, e.g., biceps and triceps. The PR Zones would not be “true” supersets in that several of them do not work direct antagonists, e.g., lats and hamstrings, which is why CS chose to call them circuits.