T Nation

EDT and Total Reps

I know EDT doesn’t have any real rep parameters, other than 10rm for 5 etc, but does anyone have an indication of a good number of reps for a PR zone. I figure if the number is getting closer to 100 than say 50 the weight must be too high. 15 mins, 2 exercises, sets of 5 max, getting closer to 40 work sets in 15 mins???

[quote]cal wrote:
I know EDT doesn’t have any real rep parameters, other than 10rm for 5 etc, but does anyone have an indication of a good number of reps for a PR zone. I figure if the number is getting closer to 100 than say 50 the weight must be too high. 15 mins, 2 exercises, sets of 5 max, getting closer to 40 work sets in 15 mins???[/quote]

I start with something I can do at least 45 total reps, work with that until I can get 60 total reps, then up the weight.

hey, i hear there is a guy around here named Charles Staley that may know a thing or two about this EDT thing

but seriously, it depends … WHY are you doing EDT - WHAT is your goal? strength, size, or body composition?

Charles recommends a 10 RM for sets of 5 and I believe targets ~ 60 reps in 15 minutes. For strength, pick a heavier load and shoot for 25-40 reps. For a body comp attack, go lighter and aim for 80-100 reps.

Bastard “I looove EDT” Guy

whenever I do EDT, I focus more on the RM% and then see what happens.

60-70%: body Comp/Mass
70-80%: Mass/Strength
80%-90%: Strength/Mass

Your rep range with a given percentage is going to be highly dependent on the number of years you have been lifting and your expereience at the given lift.

Keep it around 50. When you can go 60, add weight.

[quote]Iron John wrote:
Keep it around 50. When you can go 60, add weight.[/quote]

With my experience with EDT I would say this advice is spot on. I usually use a weight I can lift with good form for ten reps and go from there.

I agree I found 60 for 15 minute pr’s and 40 for ten minute beiong ptretty good. But it also depnds on the total goal. If you are using a higher % and going more for strenght then adjust it as needed.