Eddie Van Halen and Cancer

This was taken from an interview when asked about how he cured cancer without radiation or chemo:

Eddie Van Halen: “I cured my cancer in a way that’s not exactly legal in this country. I’d tell you, but I don’t want to go to jail. When you drink your damn draino it just holds it at bay. It comes back. Cancer is like a cockroach. It just comes back stronger. I’m tearing apart the immune system of the cockroach and seeing how it ticks. I’ve opened up my own pathology center. Some of us open tequila bars in Mexico, I’m curing cancer. They cut a healthy piece of my tongue off and grew healthy cells outside of my body and tested them. I’m missing a third of my tongue. They butchered me. I didn’t quit smoking after I got tongue cancer 'cause smoking didn’t cause it.”

Does anyone have any other information on this? I am confused as to what he did.

Wikipedia has whole section on his cancer.

Side Rant:

The whole problem with EVH getting sober has been the fact that he’s never gone into recovery — he just becomes a dry drunk. He may not be drinking, but continues to be an angry person and blame everyone else for his problems.

Take his little side jab at Sammie Hagar in that quote above. Completely uncalled for. So Sammie hasn’t had cancer and he does the Cabo Wabo a lot, big deal. He takes care of himeself and always balances the partying with fitness. That’s why he’s 8-10 years older than EVH, but looks way better.

Both times when Roth and Hagar left the band (for whatever reasons), the first guy out of the gate talking shit was EVH. He always talked a lot about Lead Singer Disaease (LSD). He always seems quite resentful of their outgoing personalities.

I’ll back anyone that says he’s one of the greatest, most influential guitarists of all time. However, as a person, he’s always been a POS asshole.

All that aside, I’m sorry he has cancer and hope all goes as well as possible. I am glad, though, to hear it wasn’t caused by cigarettes :wink:

Scott

For a while back in the mid- to late nineties he was seeing a therapist who he said helped him tremendously, whereas AA and rehab clinics had never worked for him. He was completely sober for a few years in there, including during their '98 tour, and his playing was off the fucking hook.

He also wrote some pretty rock-ass tunes during his sober period (Humans Being, Me Wise Magic). When he’s sober the guy’s fantastic. When he’s not . . . his playing (and writing) can be hit-or-miss.

As for animosity, trust me – both Sam and Dave have done exactly the same thing in their own seperate interviews, constantly. Bringing up Ed out of the blue and taking shots at him, whether it be for his drinking, band-related issues, whatever. They all do it equally. (Sammy maybe even the most, though he seems to be the most level-headed of those three).

I’m still just very surprised that Dave (knowing what a marketing-savy guy he is) would agree to a reunion with Ed’s freaking 15-year-old son on bass, as opposed to keeping the original lineup intact. It’s not even so much about the quality of the bass-playing or the backing vocals, but just about the fact that people have waited over 2 decades now to see the ORIGINAL fucking lineup. Keep it together for fuck’s sake!

Oh well.

Eddie is a legend.

Paul Gilbert has dedicated a song on his solo cd called ‘Three Es for Edward’. It’s an acoustic song played with only three strings, all tuned to E in octaves.

Very cool song and album (get out of my yard). Good to see other top guitarists giving him respect.

[quote]Damici wrote:
For a while back in the mid- to late nineties he was seeing a therapist who he said helped him tremendously, whereas AA and rehab clinics had never worked for him. He was completely sober for a few years in there, including during their '98 tour, and his playing was off the fucking hook.

He also wrote some pretty rock-ass tunes during his sober period (Humans Being, Me Wise Magic). When he’s sober the guy’s fantastic. When he’s not . . . his playing (and writing) can be hit-or-miss.

As for animosity, trust me – both Sam and Dave have done exactly the same thing in their own seperate interviews, constantly. Bringing up Ed out of the blue and taking shots at him, whether it be for his drinking, band-related issues, whatever. They all do it equally. (Sammy maybe even the most, though he seems to be the most level-headed of those three).

I’m still just very surprised that Dave (knowing what a marketing-savy guy he is) would agree to a reunion with Ed’s freaking 15-year-old son on bass, as opposed to keeping the original lineup intact. It’s not even so much about the quality of the bass-playing or the backing vocals, but just about the fact that people have waited over 2 decades now to see the ORIGINAL fucking lineup. Keep it together for fuck’s sake!

Oh well.[/quote]

Thanks for your take. All I rememeber are about 3 or 4 different interviews throughout the 90s saying “I’m qutting for good” or “I drank my bottle and I’m done”. Then I saw him on the reunion tour in 2005 and he was obviously f’d up again.

I’m surprised about the tour decision too, unless someone’s mad about Mike playing with Sammy on his tour last year.

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:
Damici wrote:

Oh well.

Thanks for your take. All I rememeber are about 3 or 4 different interviews throughout the 90s saying “I’m qutting for good” or “I drank my bottle and I’m done”. Then I saw him on the reunion tour in 2005 and he was obviously f’d up again.

I’m surprised about the tour decision too, unless someone’s mad about Mike playing with Sammy on his tour last year.[/quote]

Eddie kicked Mike out of VH because of him teaming up with Sammy, in an interview Eddie stated, “You cant be in two bands”

I know, which is the most ridiculous, egotistical move ever. Van Halen does nothing for years and years and years on end and Mike is supposed to just sit on his ass and wait for something to happen? Please. Playing with Sammy’s little band is the most harmless side project imagineable. There was no threat there.

It’s not like Mike when off and joined Metallica or something. It was a fun, time-filling thing on the side during a period when NOTHING was going on on the VH front.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:
Damici wrote:

Oh well.

I’m surprised about the tour decision too, unless someone’s mad about Mike playing with Sammy on his tour last year.

Eddie kicked Mike out of VH because of him teaming up with Sammy, in an interview Eddie stated, “You cant be in two bands”
[/quote]

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
This was taken from an interview when asked about how he cured cancer without radiation or chemo:

Eddie Van Halen: “I cured my cancer in a way that’s not exactly legal in this country. I’d tell you, but I don’t want to go to jail. When you drink your damn draino it just holds it at bay. It comes back. Cancer is like a cockroach. It just comes back stronger. I’m tearing apart the immune system of the cockroach and seeing how it ticks. I’ve opened up my own pathology center. Some of us open tequila bars in Mexico, I’m curing cancer. They cut a healthy piece of my tongue off and grew healthy cells outside of my body and tested them. I’m missing a third of my tongue. They butchered me. I didn’t quit smoking after I got tongue cancer 'cause smoking didn’t cause it.”

Does anyone have any other information on this? I am confused as to what he did.[/quote]

When he talked about curing his cancer in a way that wasn’t legal,I believe he was refereing to the fact that if doctors,in America, cure cancer without drugs and surgery they are breaking the law,since the law states only drugs can cure,prevent,and treat disease-which is pretty sad,but true.

"can’t be in two bands ? " lots of people are in 2 bands. even 3 bands.

that’s so ridiculous it can’t be the real reason but more like something eddie made up to cover himself. the wikipedia article says mike was pissed because eddie played the bass parts himself for the new stuff on the greatest hits record. that and it didn’t sound like he was too cool with eddie being shitfaced all the time. i’ve also read that mike wasn’t getting paid as much as the rest of the band. i have to believe eddie’s “two bands” comment is just him in denial and seperating himself from people who call his bullshit.

they’re gonna drop a 15 year old who’s been playing bass for 3 months into a world class band for a national tour ? wtf ???

[quote]swivel wrote:
"can’t be in two bands ? " lots of people are in 2 bands. even 3 bands.

that’s so ridiculous it can’t be the real reason but more like something eddie made up to cover himself. the wikipedia article says mike was pissed because eddie played the bass parts himself for the new stuff on the greatest hits record. that and it didn’t sound like he was too cool with eddie being shitfaced all the time. i’ve also read that mike wasn’t getting paid as much as the rest of the band. i have to believe eddie’s “two bands” comment is just him in denial and seperating himself from people who call his bullshit.

they’re gonna drop a 15 year old who’s been playing bass for 3 months into a world class band for a national tour ? wtf ???[/quote]

So.
If he has talent and practices every day,whu not?
Dave Mustaine had only been playing guitar for 2 years when he joined Metallica.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
…When he talked about curing his cancer in a way that wasn’t legal,I believe he was refereing to the fact that if doctors,in America, cure cancer without drugs and surgery they are breaking the law,since the law states only drugs can cure,prevent,and treat disease-which is pretty sad,but true.
[/quote]

You are going to have to explain this further.

In the US there are a number of drugs that are not approved however the law you appear to be quoting seems to be the disclaimer that is put on legal supplements that the FDA has not evaluated the supplement for the purpose.

A doctor can treat a patient with legal supplements and diet all he wants. This is not breaking any law.

I would love to know what EVH believes cured his cancer. Is it a drug not approved by the FDA or a natural supplement?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I would love to know what EVH believes cured his cancer. Is it a drug not approved by the FDA or a natural supplement?[/quote]

wasn’t it “cured” by removing a third of his tongue ?

They thuda thaken the whole thung.

[quote]swivel wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I would love to know what EVH believes cured his cancer. Is it a drug not approved by the FDA or a natural supplement?

[/quote]

And he didn’t get cancer from smoking like a chimney for 35 years either, it was from holding his metal guitar pick in his mouth during the tapping sections of his solos. Whatever you say Ed!

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
swivel wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

And he didn’t get cancer from smoking like a chimney for 35 years either, it was from holding his metal guitar pick in his mouth during the tapping sections of his solos. Whatever you say Ed!

[/quote]

ok now i’ve jsut read several blogs that say that eddie’s been addicted to crystal meth for the last 3 years or so. i didn’t see any real sources but you gotta agree that he does look the part.

the crystal meth plot thickens when you read the van halen wikipedia entry :

“There has been some speculation that crystal meth was the means he used. Further, Eddie claims that cigarettes did not cause his tongue cancer, and so despite having had a third of his tongue removed, he continues to smoke.[17]”

follow the reference and it just goes to a stern interview where eddie says he still smokes…nothing about meth.

wtf ?how would meth be used to cure cancer ?

warning: if you’ve ever seen evh as a guitar hero you may wish to keep him in that special place and not view the following clip.

[quote]swivel wrote:
warning: if you’ve ever seen evh as a guitar hero you may wish to keep him in that special place and not view the following clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTqyo4hVSMQ&mode=related&search= [/quote]

wow…
just–wow.

[quote]swivel wrote:

PlanIt Podcast-Eddie Van Halen Live House of Petals - YouTube [/quote]

That sucked. I saw them in concert with the post Sammy Hagar lead singer (Gary Sherone? spelling?).

Truly awful. Eddy sucked and that was years ago. I couldn’t believe how bad they were.

Then I saw David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar when they toured together. Excellent show.

[quote]Damici wrote:
I know, which is the most ridiculous, egotistical move ever. Van Halen does nothing for years and years and years on end and Mike is supposed to just sit on his ass and wait for something to happen? Please. Playing with Sammy’s little band is the most harmless side project imagineable. There was no threat there.

It’s not like Mike when off and joined Metallica or something. It was a fun, time-filling thing on the side during a period when NOTHING was going on on the VH front.

playmaker08 wrote:
Eddie kicked Mike out of VH because of him teaming up with Sammy, in an interview Eddie stated, “You cant be in two bands”[/quote]

Exactamundo.

My point about him being an angry, douchebag is proven.