Eddie Hall Won't Recognize Thor's Deadlift Record

Thor finally clapped back. Except for in 2017 he has always took the high road.

1 Like

Randy Savage always did them better

4 Likes

Magnus is officiating this one, donā€™t be a clown.

3 Likes

A what? Never seen or heard of such a thing in Strongman. Or certification of equipment by anyone or anywhere. That would be new thing. They have a couple of guys test it to make sure it wonā€™t break, thatā€™s about it.

2 Likes

The worst show of favoritism was in 1990 WSM when OD Wilson was in the lead by 5.5 points going into the last event, which was a ridiculous 200m distance run carrying 200lbs, which obviously favored Jon Pall Sigmarsson over the 400lb Wilson. Sigmarsson won by half a point.

4 Likes

Unless they changed this after the comp already started I think 2017 still wins the shadiness award. :grin:

Stuff like that though is why I think the competitors seem to think Arnoldā€™s is a bigger deal. WUS will probably over take WSM too.

EDIT: just googled OD, damn RIP. I think his coolest stat though was that he had a size 26 ring size. LOL WOW.

1 Like

They did.

1 Like

Jon Pall was buddies with Dougie Edmonds (The guy running it for TWI). The math isnā€™t too complicated.

1 Like

I genuinely think Eddie was the strongest (static) man ever from 2017-18, but he was a shitty strongman competitor. All around decent, but his attitude and manner of winning was beyond dubious and the clout he has is so not justifiable lol. Heā€™s SO big in Britain itā€™s absurd.

Shaw, Poundstone, and Licis never got half as big as Hall is and heā€™s extending into more fame-inducing territory clearly from hanging around the right people. In spite of the Thor drama being mostly kayfabe, I do think Eddie is probably now realizing his strongman career was a short spark with not much to show for and Thor is going to eclipse his legacy and be the highlight of the last decade into the next.

9 Likes

Britainā€™s Fandom in the sport is fascinating. Itā€™s amazing how much they considered Capes to be a legit threat to either Kaz or JPS for so long, or the backing behind Terry Hollands. I imagine the sport playing on Christmas is a big part of it and the original sponsors being British, but itā€™s still nuts.

It was a US program originally, sold off after Franco got injured and sued. And yes, that lawsuit was the reason and it set the sport back in the US for a long time.

US program, right, but I am talking about the first sponsor. I donā€™t remember there being a sponsor for '77.

Why donā€™t you give the 18ā€ deadlift record (filled with Eddieā€™s books that must be calibrated) a look and tell me if it should count. Practically the exact same scene as Thor is planning to world record in: his turf, a few people, one judge, etc. but yet it still counted.

5 Likes

I think this is something you will never understand unless you grew up there. The tradition of watching WSM over Christmas with the final on new years day goes back the the early Capes days and still exists today. I have very fond memories of watching every heat and every final from 1983 (I was 9 yrs old) to 2005 when I left the UK. They were all watched as a family with everyone just as interested, mum, dad , sisters everyone. Having a UK strongest man is like having a UK heavyweight boxing champ, the support for it is off the chart. I donā€™t disagree with some of the comments made on here about Eddy, but I wont have a bad word said about Capes. The guy is a genuine legend of the sport and was a world class athlete, as well as being a stand up bloke. We all know Kaz was kept out for a reason and that some from the US are butt hurt about it. But it doesnā€™t take away that Capes was a genuinely strong bloke for his time and is a legend in the UK.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have anything bad to say about Capes. I am saying his support during the Era of Kaz and JPS made no sense to me, and was an indicator of the rabid Fandom I am describing.

I donā€™t know anything about the man to discuss him one way or the other.

I wasnā€™t suggesting you were, I was merely trying to shed some light onto why there is a crazy fandom in the UK for Strongman. Since I moved away, whilst I still have a fondness or love of the support, itā€™s not the same. I think in some way the odd level support is just the British trying to be great again. Maybe itā€™s like the country version of small man syndrome.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

Itā€™s all good man. People in the same room often misunderstand me, let alone on the other side of the world. Sometimes I am sure my wife just nods to be polite but is actually thinking ā€˜what fkn language are you speakingā€™

5 Likes

HEY!!! My wife speaks that language too!!! :grin:

1 Like

I canā€™t tell you the last time I watched more than 20 minutes worth of clips from anything WSM-related, but I spend like 6 total hours watching the full Arnold events every year

Say what you will about the man, but he knows his politics.

4 Likes