Eddie Hall Won't Recognize Thor's Deadlift Record

As I mentioned previously, Eddie Hall was lucky that the armwrestling event got cancelled. Here’s a video of Larry Wheels getting absolutely dominated by a guy that is a level (or two) below RVJ, the guy Eddie was supposed to go against.

1 Like

Maybe I missed it, but I’m surprised nobody mentioned Makarov’s attempt at 502- he got it to his knees, but he’s nowhere near Thor, and he’s spent way more time training for this. Still, he could have it one day, who knows.

But the real star is Mikhail Shivylakov, whom I love because he just bleeds every time he deadlifts, grinding out the masters WR at 935. One of the longest deadlifts I’ve seen, and a disgusting amount of time to be holding that amount of weight.

@ 55:20

@T3hPwnisher this fool had 10 years to get real.

4 Likes

This sums it up nicely. Also, supposedly the pop to the knees has a lot to do with the suit. It wasn’t that close.

That was insane.

1 Like

I think I made a thread about this when it happened. It was met with a few “not interested” and it died a quick death lol

Edit:

2 Likes

The Masters “Record” was a cool pull to watch. It would oly count in Strongman, obviously, and no one really keeps records there. What federation would that have been in? None were mentioned. So, cool to watch, but with the hitching and multiple direction reversals, it would’t count most places. And PLes wouldn’t recognize anything pulled with straps for good reason.

1 Like

Ah - I even searched for Makarovs name and saw no new posts, haha - my bad.

@hardartery you’re right - powerlifters wouldn’t call it anywhere near a good lift, probably because it’d be the most impressive and exciting lift ever done in a powerlifting meet, haha.

4 Likes

True that. It’s one of the reasons I prefer Strongman. Less rules, more “Just get it up there” (I know, that’s what she said)

4 Likes

Supposedly (though I have never used a suit) it makes coming off of the floor much easier, so I believe you’re correct there. However, Marakov has also hit a 490 kg deadlift that didn’t look like a true 1RM, which if I am not mistaken is the 3rd biggest deadlift in history (behind Eddie and Hafthor). Also Marakov says he was having issues that day, like something was off. Sure, for you or I to hit a 1RM deadlift (which I’m certain is no where near 500kg, my 1RM is a paltry 265 kg) It doesn’t take nearly the mental focus or alignment of the stars. Even still I know that There can be easily a 10% difference on my 1RM from day to day in the gym depending on too many factors to understand them all.

I guess my point is that I don’t believe he is all that far off.

1 Like

Dude they’ll have a boxing match, right? I think Eddie is just provoking a response from Hafthor for the sake of hype.

Honestly I think this whole Hafthor versus Eddie thing is great. I think it’s a little bit too disrespectful for Eddie to say Hafthor’s deadlift was fake, but if it ends up infuriating Hafthor to fight better and increase the whole hype, then that’s great. It’ll only do the sport of strongman good.

Eddie has charisma, or at least very smart. He is a very successful YouTuber after all.

Anybody catch Thor’s boxing match today? Haven’t seen any coverage or info, just a couple pictures

The announcers gave plenty of praise, as well as various people in the comments, but the truth of the matter is, Thor is atrociously slow, drops his hands every time he punches in a big way, etc. His angles and footwork seem to be improving, but Eddie looks to be approximately 3x faster and is 100# heavier at the same height as Thor’s opponent here.

1 Like

Only saw clips but Ward looked very relaxed throughout (think he took the last 15 seconds seriously lol) and Thor looked exactly like you’d think a 6’9" 350lbs first timer would look. I’d be surprised if Eddie moved as fast, let alone faster than Ward here but haven’t seen much of him

Maybe Thor will pull an Inigo Montoya on Eddie and reveal he isn’t actually a south paw.

1 Like

Having boxed a little and spared a lot I just say Thor will have learned way more about boxing by having a proper a fight before than Eddie. Just seeing that happens to yo it body, your technique etc when all that adrenaline goes through your system. Good job by Thor really.

On a different note, Eddie is just really annoying these days. Seems to come across like he believes he’s a legend or something but let’s me honest, he isn’t. There are plenty of people that broke records that people in 5 years won’t talk about but he only won worlds strongest once on a year it was rigged for him.

I’m a fan of his but he’s just a big annoying at the moment like that kid who wants to be your mate that’s just trying a little too hard.

2 Likes

What sort of timeline are you operating on here?

4 Likes

My “analysis” - for what its worth (I didn’t watch much of the fight. It was very boring).

Thor was slow and walked forward with his jab hand out. This “lazy jab” is something that bigger guys can suffer from. Its a lot of effort to keep a jab snappy when your arm weights 35kg. And as a bigger guy he’ll be looking for the hay maker every time. Which he does.

Looking for the haymaker will be his go to. Again bigger guys can suffer from this looking for the knock out. Its his mind saying “you’re strong and can smash this guy. Go all hulk.”. Its also a comment on fitness. Guys that are unfit tend to drop all the set up and just go for broke. In the last round all Thor does is wade in with body shots. I don;t know if he was asked to not go for the head. But it looks like it to me.

Fighting against a guy as big as him he’d suffer a massive shock. The oppo here had to back up. Eddie wont. He’s as big / strong. If Thor comes in hands down swinging for the fences with no set up I can see big shots being landed. IF (and big if) Eddie is any good.

Lastly - Thor done 90% of the walking in there. The other guy held the middle of the ring. Thor is a big guy and should be commanding the middle. But he did not. I think this will be a big take away for his team.

1 Like

I agree, haha. Eddie is annoying, and besides the fact that this fight is a joke I’d love to see Thor smash him. But the fact is they were both untrained, and Eddie went the full boxing lifestyle route immediately, whereas Thor did another Iceland’s Strongest Man and had somebody who had no idea what they were doing “train” him for a couple months after that.

The best progress he made was during a one-time session with Bas Rutten, who seemed to get his jab to snap very quickly. Love me some Bas.

1 Like

Eddie is major douche, I think the reason he got annoying lately is becaues he was more private before.

I really want Thor to win but have to agree Eddie looks insanely faster than Thor. This fight will look like a prime Tyson vs his biggest slowest opponent.