Edamame at Night?

I like to eat soy beans at night before bed but am unsure of the nutritional value. I am a 200-205 pound dude that runs a lot and lifts alot (USMC). Fairly lean (abs but no intercostals). How is soy as a protein? I just love edamame!

There are plenty of indepth articles on this site on this very topic.

[quote]Michael C wrote:
I like to eat soy beans at night before bed but am unsure of the nutritional value. I am a 200-205 pound dude that runs a lot and lifts alot (USMC). Fairly lean (abs but no intercostals). How is soy as a protein? I just love edamame! [/quote]

Soy is a protein. Not generally considered a quality one by most here because it is thought to raise estrogen levels.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
There are plenty of indepth articles on this site on this very topic.[/quote]

Oh, my bad. You can turn your nose down now.

[quote]Michael C wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:

Oh, my bad. You can turn your nose down now. [/quote]

No need to feel offended. It was merely being pointed out that this topic has been addressed thru several excellent articles before and you would benefit greatly if you were just to research the topic yourself rather than expect others to regurgitate it for you.
Or did you happen to think that your’s was such a unique question that no one had ever thought of it before?

[quote]Michael C wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:

Oh, my bad. You can turn your nose down now. [/quote]

Just thought that you might want the opinion of some of the authors who have a little more experience over that of anonymous posters.

I have been reading this mag for years, even the paperback. I love it. Have researched soy and soybean and as usual in the fitness/bbing industry, there is a new article or scientific study about this or that that contradicts the study printed last week. I have seen people refer others to ‘do their research’ who are simply looking for an experienced answer to a basic question. I use experienced meaning, “I tried that and it worked/didn’t work.” Yeah, yeah, everybody is different. But first hand knowledge in an open forum is the best. That is what this place is for, right?

I am not going to post any pics of myself asking, “Ladies, what do you think?” or, “Do I need to eat more?” I read the articles. I just want a Barney style answer without somebody pulling the old, “Do your research,” line that I see so often. I guess I am hands-on. And I know the articles written are mostly based on experience as well, but some are speculative. Maybe I am the snob (probably). My bad, then.

Well, I guess I’m the opposite because I place a much higher value on the opinions of the T-Nation contributors than I do an anonymous or semi-anonymous poster.

Edamame = soy
Soy = phytoestrogens
Phytoestrogens = estrogen
Estrogen = breasts on men
Breasts on men = transgendered male prostitute hooking for Grow! money

Essentially what you’re asking is, “should I become a transgendered male prostitute?” The answer to that question is for you to decide.

How’s that for speculation? Seriously though, that’s the general consensus here: that the isoflavones in soy act like mild estrogens in the body. Not something you want.

Well since you’ve read many articles already, you know the arguments both for and against soy. Most people avoid soy because of the reasons already mentioned. So no its probably not ideal compared to other beans and protein source. Will it make a huge difference if you enjoy your edamame every now and then? Probably not. In the overall scheme of things, it probably doesn’t matter much at all.

Thank you. That was easy. Wow, we have ChrisKing and ChrisPowers! I need a cooler name. MichaelStrong or MichaelMuscle sounds good. Oh, wait, we’ve already determined it should be MichaelTheTransgenderedMaleProstitue. D’oh!

Mike, fuck all these “all soy is bad cause I read it on T-mag” idiots. Boiled soy beans and fermented soy have absolutely nothing in common, and munching on boiled, salted edemame with a cold beer WILL NOT make your nuts shrivel up.

Edemame is good shit, especially when you munch it at the sushi bar while you watch the chef cut up your dinner. Mmmmm.

Ohhhhh, snap! Tellin’ it like it is. Man, that is what I thought. Too much thinkin’…

[quote]Michael C wrote:
Ohhhhh, snap! Tellin’ it like it is. Man, that is what I thought. Too much thinkin’…[/quote]

So, you were just looking for someone to tell you what you wanted to hear. That’s cool.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Michael C wrote:
Ohhhhh, snap! Tellin’ it like it is. Man, that is what I thought. Too much thinkin’…

So, you were just looking for someone to tell you what you wanted to hear. That’s cool.[/quote]

ChrisKing, no need to feel offended. Although the ‘idiot’ part was damn funny. I am sorry I didn’t adhere to your T-Nation protocol. I guess some care and some don’t. I have made some friends here at T-Nation, none with names as extensions of their penis, though. You should change your snobby ass name to Hildegard, or Winthrop, or Buffy. Get over yourself. I’m going to go read some MD. That way douchebags don’t chime in and snub their noses at lazy, uneducated, easily offended people like me. I’m done with this tainted thread.

Michael C…ugh.

People like you frustrate me.

[quote]Michael C wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
Michael C wrote:

So, you were just looking for someone to tell you what you wanted to hear. That’s cool.

ChrisKing, no need to feel offended. Although the ‘idiot’ part was damn funny. I am sorry I didn’t adhere to your T-Nation protocol. I guess some care and some don’t. I have made some friends here at T-Nation, none with names as extensions of their penis, though. You should change your snobby ass name to Hildegard, or Winthrop, or Buffy. Get over yourself. I’m going to go read some MD. That way douchebags don’t chime in and snub their noses at lazy, uneducated, easily offended people like me. I’m done with this tainted thread.[/quote]

Sorry, didn’t realize you were so sensitive.

I think he is on his period…

[quote]mark57 wrote:
Mike, fuck all these “all soy is bad cause I read it on T-mag” idiots. Boiled soy beans and fermented soy have absolutely nothing in common, and munching on boiled, salted edemame with a cold beer WILL NOT make your nuts shrivel up.

Edemame is good shit, especially when you munch it at the sushi bar while you watch the chef cut up your dinner. Mmmmm.

[/quote]

The boiled and steamed variety didn’t fall in the same group with fermented soy beans. Also I believe the research about beer’s effects on testosterone and estrogen is available beyond T-Mag idiots. But when the day comes when potato chips are actually good for you and all us T-mag idiots are wrong, potato chip lovers will ask the same question here on this forum- but pertaining to potato chips.

In the case of soy, is this a complete protein source or just another snack that just happens to fall under protein? From studies concerning this topic I’ve read that it’s an incomplete protein and lacks the value of other beans and protein sources. Eat your snacks.