T Nation

Ed Coan's Programs

In my next routine i want to run ed coans dl and squat programs. i have found calculators for the both of them so working out my numbers is easy. however, i am not sure what to do with my squat during this time. Any programs that i could run along side the other 2? Is their an ed coan squat program that i am unaware of ?

Also, any advice,experience,comments and discussion on ed's programs that i should know about before doing them, or even if their worth doing in the first place !?

Current numbers (kgs)
DL- 205
Bench- 127.5
Squat- 157.5

CsEagles used to train with Ed. I’d recommend asking him

[quote]sechos wrote:
In my next routine i want to run ed coans dl and squat programs. i have found calculators for the both of them so working out my numbers is easy. however, i am not sure what to do with my squat during this time. Any programs that i could run along side the other 2? Is their an ed coan squat program that i am unaware of ?

Also, any advice,experience,comments and discussion on ed’s programs that i should know about before doing them, or even if their worth doing in the first place !?

Current numbers (kgs)
DL- 205
Bench- 127.5
Squat- 157.5 [/quote]
You need to proofread your post or clarify what you mean. You said you’re doing Coan’s DL and Squat program, but you are looking for another squat routine? Did you mean you are doing Coan Deadlift and Coan Bench?

Now I’m not sure exactly what programs you’re looking at, but I can tell you for an absolute fact that Ed Coan used the same training program essentially for all three of his powerlifts. He used linear periodization starting at higher reps and moving to lower reps and increasing the weight each week.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Now I’m not sure exactly what programs you’re looking at, but I can tell you for an absolute fact that Ed Coan used the same training program essentially for all three of his powerlifts. He used linear periodization starting at higher reps and moving to lower reps and increasing the weight each week.[/quote]

Yes, and typically 2 work sets going from 12s on down, however there are maybe 3 fairly unique things I remember about reading his routines over the years.

1. His percentages were set a little higher than other linear routines. So he might have been doing 12s at 68%, 10s at 72% and 8s at 74% while other LP routines used say 2-3% lower. This meant that he didn’t spend too much time below 70%.

2. He trained weak muscles in isolation. If his grip was weak he did direct grip work etc.

3. I found this in one of his routines years ago, and haven’t seen it since, but he added some special exercises to activate muscles as he approached a competition. What I specifically remember was that he added in arched back stiff leg goodmornings in the last couple of weeks so that his hamstrings would be ready for the deadlift.

One other thing. He tended to have a routine that focused on increasing the bench while maintaining the squat and dead, and vice versa.

Sorry, i mean ed coans bench and deadlift program. I am currently unaware of a squat program to run alongside these.

I made a thread a while back explaining how his training worked and what I did while I was training with him. Search for it and you can find all the answers that you’re looking for.

CS