Ed Coan Training Thread

Similar to the “Westside Method Thread”, this thread will include the details of the Ed Coan training method. I’ve received a lot of private messages and posts in my training log with questions of how the template is set up and how to progress. I’m hoping that given my knowledge in the subject area, I, or some other members can answer any questions you may have concerning the method. Here goes.

The Basic Breakdown

Training will consist of four workouts every week. Three of the four training sessions will be devoted to the three main lifts - squat, bench, and deadlift. More times than none, people will have it broken up like this:

Monday - Squat
Wednesday - Bench
Friday - Deadlift
Saturday - Accessory

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday is also an option. I recommend one day in between each training session.

The Squat

Assuming you know how to squat properly, I’ll skip all the bullshit about your form - get that shit figured out by yourself. The squat cycle lasts 12 weeks, adding 10 lbs. to the working weight each week. I will provide a sample squat cycle here. Let’s say my squat is 375 lbs. and I want to take it to 405 lbs. The cycle would be set up something like this:

Week 1 - 2 X 10 X 295
Week 2 - 2 X 10 X 305
Week 3 - 2 X 8 X 315
Week 4 - 2 X 8 X 325
Week 5 - 2 X 5 X 335
Week 6 - 2 X 5 X 345
Week 7 - 2 X 5 X 355
Week 8 - 2 X 3 X 365
Week 9 - 2 X 3 X 375
Week 10 - 2 X 2 X 385
Week 11 - 2 X 2 X 395
Week 12 - 1 X 1 X 405*

*NOTE - On the last week of the cycle (this applies to all lifts), hit the planned weight first. If the first single feels light enough, take another single, adding 10-15 lbs.

Assistance Work for the Squat

With the Ed Coan style of training, it is very bodybuilding oriented. As mention in Eddie’s videos, he emphasizes leg press, hack squats, leg extensions, stiff-legged deadlifts, leg curls, and calf work. You can mix and match any of these that you would like. Definitely no more than 5 assistance exercises in a workout (coming from experience). I would like to say that four is plenty, as well.

The Bench Press

The king of all strength exercises. The bench cycle will follow the exact same progression as the bench press. Let’s say my bench is 285 lbs. and I want to get to 315 lbs. Here’s how it would go

Week 1 - 2 X 10 X 205
Week 2 - 2 X 10 X 215
Week 3 - 2 X 8 X 225
Week 4 - 2 X 8 X 235
Week 5 - 2 X 5 X 245
Week 6 - 2 X 5 X 255
Week 7 - 2 X 5 X 265
Week 8 - 2 X 3 X 275
Week 9 - 2 X 3 X 285
Week 10 - 2 X 2 X 295
Week 11 - 2 X 2 X 305
Week 12 - 1 X 1 X 315*

*NOTE - On the last week of the cycle (this applies to all lifts), hit the planned weight first. If the first single feels light enough, take another single, adding 10-15 lbs.

Assistance Work for the Bench Press

This can become a bit of a shit storm if you don’t know what you’re doing. First off, there are two main exercises that Eddie has ALWAYS used and has the guys he trains (including myself) utilize in their training. These two are the paused close-grip bench press, and the incline bench press. The progression for the paused close-grip and the incline bench press are the same as the regular bench press. Typically, as a rule of thumb, take 20-30 lbs. less than your regular bench for your close-grips and possibly another 10-20 lbs. less than your close-grips for your inclines. This can be a very humbling experience.

After you have completed the three pressing movements, it is time to move on to some other work. Typically, we will do a couple of pump sets for pecs, usually 2-3 sets of 15-20 on some dumbbell benches or flyes. Eddie never neglected chest work; he’s said that no part of the bench press can be weak.

For triceps, it’s really up to you. From my personal experience, Eddie has put me through tricep hell. Depending on how sadistic he is feeling that day, we can do 2-3 super sets, a giant set consisting of 3-4 exercises, or 2-3 single exercises. The set and rep ranges vary from 3-5 sets of 10-20 reps. Our exercises include tricep pushdowns with all kinds of bars and grips, skull crushers, dumbbell extensions, and dips. Our supersets and giant sets will include some combination of all of these.

The Deadlift

The deadlift is a bit tricky considering I have not trained it with Eddie as extensively as I have the squat and the bench press. I have only run 1 deadlift cycle in my time training with Eddie, and yet, it has improved greatly.

As mentioned in his videos, Eddie will like to train both sumo AND conventional at the same time. I’ll delve into this later. The deadlift cycle is a bit different than the squat and bench cycle in that there are no 10 rep sets. Let’s say my deadlift is 475 lbs. and I want to get to 500 lbs. Here’s how I would set it up:

Week 1 - 1 X 8 X 390
Week 2 - 2 X 5 X 400
Week 3 - 2 X 5 X 410
Week 4 - 2 X 5 X 420
Week 5 - 2 X 5 X 430
Week 6 - 2 X 5 X 440
Week 7 - 2 X 3 X 450
Week 8 - 2 X 3 X 460
Week 9 - 2 X 3 X 470
Week 10 - 2 X 2 X 480
Week 11 - 2 X 2 X 490
Week 12 - 1 X 1 X 500

Note that there are 5 weeks of 5s and 3 weeks of 3s. There is one week with 8s, but it is only for 1 set. This should be the lightest day, relatively easy, but still a strain.

As I said before, Eddie would train his sumo and conventional pull at the same time. Personally, I have not done this, so I cannot comment on it in depth, but I can provide a bit of insight on it. Having watched the videos, I noticed that Eddie would start off with 1 set of his sumo pulls (that’s where he was strongest) and then he would drop the weight 20-30 lbs. and do the same amount of reps conventional. This would equal his 2 work sets for the day. You can try this approach if it strikes your fancy, but I have never done it.

The Accessory Day

Early into my training, I didn’t know how to structure the rest of my training. In his videos, Ed would typically use the extra day as a light bench day with light triceps, biceps, and hammer shoulders. Shoulders would usually consist of front, side, and rear raises and sometimes behind-the-neck press. The behind-the-neck press would follow the same progression as the bench press.

With the light sets of bench press, 60-80% of that week’s working weight is adequate. No more, no less. Two to three sets of 10 reps is enough.

CONCLUSION

I hope that I was able to clear up any confusion that some of you may have had concerning the program. If you have any other questions regarding the training style or the template, feel free to PM me or drop me a comment in my training log. Good luck.

CS

You guys have prob seen this already - recent interview with Ed Coan and Marty Gallagher by Mark Rippetoe.

Would it make sense on weeks three, five, and eight to up the weight by fifteen instead of ten because of needing to complete less reps, but to only add 10 per week for the bench, and press?

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Would it make sense on weeks three, five, and eight to up the weight by fifteen instead of ten because of needing to complete less reps, but to only add 10 per week for the bench, and press?[/quote]

It really depends on the last week’s weight felt, but I would advise against it. Stick to the plan. With this plan, it’s better to be conservative with the weight jumps. First time you run one of the programs, you can expect at least a 30 lb. gain in your lift.

CS

Aside from the main lift what is supposed to be the intensity of the rest of the workout? Other PL programs run for 3 weeks and 1 deload, so are there any issues with slowing down as you get near the end of the 12 weeks on this one?

This is exactly what I was looking for when I posted in your log. That’s awesome thanks a lot.

CS, would this be appropriate for a beginner (I’m at 315 squat, 250 bench, 455 dl- squat technique needs help.), also do you think you get enough back volume on this program?

[quote]vali wrote:
CS, would this be appropriate for a beginner (I’m at 315 squat, 250 bench, 455 dl- squat technique needs help.), also do you think you get enough back volume on this program? [/quote]

In relation to this at what point do you think you have to start adjusting the increments between weeks? I plugged my numbers in and to achieve a 15lbs increase in my squat I’d have to squat 2x10 @410lbs and quite frankly I just don’t think there’s anyway that would happen.

Clutz - I think you need to calulate the numbers more as a percentage of yoru current training max you are starting the training of.

From Eagles example - with a max squat of 375 the progression would look like this:

wk1 - 78.67% (297 weight / 375 max) x 2s x 10r
wk2 - wk1 +10lbs x 2s x 10r
wk3 - wk2 +10lbs x 2s x 8r

etc…

Basically start with 75-78% of your current max and follow the progression as outlined.

Am I right? I’d be curious to see what people achieve with such a straightforward linear periodization

Obviously Ed Coan made it work but this program looks sketchy to me…

For example:
week 2 of squatting… 305 2x10 for a dude with a 375 max… Thats like 81% of the 1RM… There is no way in hell I could do 81% of my 1RM for 10, let alone doing 2 sets… The most I could do 2x10 with would probably something in the range of 65-70%…

Anyways, interesting to see how the greatest of all time did it!!!

I second what ramzy said - just looked at my log actually and I can only get 5 reps with 84-85% of my max. It will be impossible to hit 10 reps with 80% lol, especially after just one week of squatting 10s with 75-78% (which, again, I won’t have a chance in hell to hit…)

Eddie is a freak though!I think this is a better example of his progression:

http://www.joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

If you plug in 375 as the max it has you start with 2 sets of 10 reps with 251 which is 67% - MUCH more believable. The script doesn’t have any accessories on it, but if you red up some online and in this thread you can get a pretty damn good idea of what to do.

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
Clutz - I think you need to calulate the numbers more as a percentage of yoru current training max you are starting the training of.

From Eagles example - with a max squat of 375 the progression would look like this:

wk1 - 78.67% (297 weight / 375 max) x 2s x 10r
wk2 - wk1 +10lbs x 2s x 10r
wk3 - wk2 +10lbs x 2s x 8r

etc…

Basically start with 75-78% of your current max and follow the progression as outlined.

Am I right? I’d be curious to see what people achieve with such a straightforward linear periodization[/quote]

To be fair I’m not planning on running it cause I think I’m past linear gains but I wanted to look into for a friend of mine who started training with us and a bodybuilder/powerlifting hybrid like this I think could be really good for him right now. Looking at the program in terms of percents makes a lot more sense. I just like using my numbers as a gage of how realistic certain programs are.

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
I second what ramzy said - just looked at my log actually and I can only get 5 reps with 84-85% of my max. It will be impossible to hit 10 reps with 80% lol, especially after just one week of squatting 10s with 75-78% (which, again, I won’t have a chance in hell to hit…)

Eddie is a freak though!I think this is a better example of his progression:

http://www.joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

If you plug in 375 as the max it has you start with 2 sets of 10 reps with 251 which is 67% - MUCH more believable. The script doesn’t have any accessories on it, but if you red up some online and in this thread you can get a pretty damn good idea of what to do.[/quote]

Yep that looks about right, I thought the numbers were a bit high too. On that site I don’t know where its getting the goal numbers either which might be another factor. If you enter 405, week 12 is 420x2x2 and the last is 450x1, I could save myself the time and just fail on those attempts today.

Edit: I think Coan just used his best judgement each week and didn’t base strictly on percentages. I think it would be reasonable to just pick a small PR you want to it on the last week, then a weight you can do on the first 2 weeks, and plug in everything between based on those numbers.

[quote]clutz15 wrote:
To be fair I’m not planning on running it cause I think I’m past linear gains[/quote]

You can debate weight percentages, but this style of linear progression still works for some people regardless of level. Ed Coan himself used this style of linear progression… like the whole time. So he wasn’t “past” it when he was deadlifting 900 pounds lol.

[quote]vali wrote:
CS, would this be appropriate for a beginner (I’m at 315 squat, 250 bench, 455 dl- squat technique needs help.), also do you think you get enough back volume on this program? [/quote]

Yes, it would work just fine for you. I get plenty of back volume. Check out the last post in my training log. Ed doesn’t have me follow it the same way he did back in the day, but it’s pretty similar. All of my back work is done on squat day. We don’t deadlift right now. With you, assuming you have a day dedicated to deadlifting, that would be when you hit all your back work. Pulldowns, lots of rows (all variations), and all that jazz. Pick 3-5 exercises and your back will be fried the next day.

CS

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Aside from the main lift what is supposed to be the intensity of the rest of the workout? Other PL programs run for 3 weeks and 1 deload, so are there any issues with slowing down as you get near the end of the 12 weeks on this one?[/quote]

The intensity can be a bit insane sometimes. We usually take a deload (1-3 weeks) following week 12 of the cycle.

CS

There are no set percentages. Percentages never even came into play when Eddie was designing the program. The third week I was squatting with Ed, I did 295 for sets of 8, which was 80% of my max. It can be done. Honestly, it’s all between the ears.

CS

You guys are fools to think it would not work.

Week 1 and Week 2 are a total joke.

Let’s take a 405 squatter for example, who desires to add +30 pounds in 3 months.

1 325x10
2 335x10
3 345x8
4 355x8
5 365x5
6 375x5
7 385x5
8 395x3
9 405x3
10 415x2
11 425x2
12 435x1

You are telling me this would be too hard to do?

You have got to be kidding me right?

When I first looked at this template, I thought it was TOO SLOW. Run Smolov and you get 30-40 pounds in 1 month; let alone 30 in 3+ months.

Some of you need to get your head out of your butt. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, or are completely lacking in the intensity or calculation department.

If you don’t think you can add +30 pounds to a 405 in 3 months, even though there are 500-600+ squatters adding 30-40 pounds in ONE month on specializations like Smolov, then go ahead and make your +poundage for week 12 be 25,or 20.

This will automatically have you hit the goal weight at the end, while lowering all the numbers for everything else since you apparently are too afraid to add 10 pounds a month to a lift.

Ethan, you troll half hte time so I can’t believe I am answering to you but here it goes.

I have squatted 405. Real, legitimate squat (not the bro-s half knee bends). I would more likely win the lottery and sing the national anthem at a Seahawks game than manage to hit 325 for 10 right now, at the start of your example “cycle”.

Where do YOU come up with your hardcore mastery of the “calculation” or “intensity” department?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:
To be fair I’m not planning on running it cause I think I’m past linear gains[/quote]

You can debate weight percentages, but this style of linear progression still works for some people regardless of level. Ed Coan himself used this style of linear progression… like the whole time. So he wasn’t “past” it when he was deadlifting 900 pounds lol.[/quote]

Well squatting 82% x10 just isn’t gonna happen. If everyone could add ten pounds a week to each lift forever then periodization would be irrelevant. I dont doubt Coan followed something very similar to this but when he squatted 1000lbs I bet he didn’t do 890x10 at the start of that cycle. There comes a point when basic principles need to be modified.