Ed Coan Still the King?

I read a lot of things about powerlifting in the last months, and a question came to me, does Ed Coan is still the king of powerlifing? Because i think he has the best formulas score for the weight lifting vs his bodyweight. Don’t tell me that a wpo guys did it, because wpo is entertainment, it’s not very the same powerlifting who test strength under real condition. Anyway i don’t wanna talk about how wpo lift big weight under a tonne of equipements and particular rule, it’s cool to watch, but it’s not the old school powerlifting that Coan did. So do you think he’s still the king pound for pound?

[quote]warriorangel wrote:
I read a lot of things about powerlifting in the last months, and a question came to me, does Ed Coan is still the king of powerlifing? Because i think he has the best formulas score for the weight lifting vs his bodyweight. Don’t tell me that a wpo guys did it, because wpo is entertainment, it’s not very the same powerlifting who test strength under real condition. Anyway i don’t wanna talk about how wpo lift big weight under a tonne of equipements and particular rule, it’s cool to watch, but it’s not the old school powerlifting that Coan did. So do you think he’s still the king pound for pound?[/quote]

Personally, I always thought that Bridges’s 2100+ at 181 was a bigger feat. He was more dominant than Coan. At one worlds only the 275 and super winner beat him, possibly the 2nd place super.

While Coan had close to the same gear, Bridges was doign it a few years before with even worse gear.

maybe king of powerlifting, but in my mind, Kaz will always be the king of strength.

I read a lot of things about powerlifting in the last months, and a question came to me, does Ed Coan is still the king of powerlifing? Because i think he has the best formulas score for the weight lifting vs his bodyweight. Don’t tell me that a wpo guys did it, because wpo is entertainment, it’s not very the same powerlifting who test strength under real condition. Anyway i don’t wanna talk about how wpo lift big weight under a tonne of equipements and particular rule, it’s cool to watch, but it’s not the old school powerlifting that Coan did. So do you think he’s still the king pound for pound?[/quote]

NO! WPO guys r the best! They’ve beaten Ed Coan’s records a milion times over, and everyone who hates equepment is a FAG.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
warriorangel wrote:
I read a lot of things about powerlifting in the last months, and a question came to me, does Ed Coan is still the king of powerlifing? Because i think he has the best formulas score for the weight lifting vs his bodyweight. Don’t tell me that a wpo guys did it, because wpo is entertainment, it’s not very the same powerlifting who test strength under real condition. Anyway i don’t wanna talk about how wpo lift big weight under a tonne of equipements and particular rule, it’s cool to watch, but it’s not the old school powerlifting that Coan did. So do you think he’s still the king pound for pound?

NO! WPO guys r the best! They’ve beaten Ed Coan’s records a milion times over, and everyone who hates equepment is a FAG.[/quote]

The thing is, I think Mash is the only one to beat Coan’s 220 record, but I don’t follow it that closely so I may be wrong.

I saw Coan at the Arnold. He judged the strongman deadlift. And when Bolton was about to attempt 971 at the end of the WPOs, Coan popped out from back stage and started staring at the bar. I thought he was about to throw his suitcoat down and try to pull it.

Bear

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
warriorangel wrote:

NO! WPO guys r the best! They’ve beaten Ed Coan’s records a milion times over, and everyone who hates equepment is a FAG.[/quote]

hahahahahhaahhaa

I read a lot of things about powerlifting in the last months, and a question came to me, does Ed Coan is still the king of powerlifing? [/quote]

Yes. By a mile.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
maybe king of powerlifting, but in my mind, Kaz will always be the king of strength.[/quote]

Coan broke Kaz’s total record and was 50+ pounds ligther. But yes Kaz is still the man.

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
wressler125 wrote:
maybe king of powerlifting, but in my mind, Kaz will always be the king of strength.

Coan broke Kaz’s total record and was 50+ pounds ligther. But yes Kaz is still the man.
[/quote]

Didn’t Coan use PL gear while Kaz was RAW? I mean, granted, it was only 1 ply gear, but still…
As for Coan being king of IPF PL, what about Brian Siders?

[quote]bigjoey wrote:
Viking69 wrote:
wressler125 wrote:

Didn’t Coan use PL gear while Kaz was RAW? I mean, granted, it was only 1 ply gear, but still…
As for Coan being king of IPF PL, what about Brian Siders?
[/quote]

Coan and Kaz both wore squat suits, and knee wraps, but no bench shirts early on(Although late in his career Coan has worn a bench shirt).

Coan’s best USAPL/IPF squat was 1003 @ 242 and best deadlift was 903 at 218!!!

He also benched 573 without a bench shirt.

Kaz squatted in the 900s, deadlifted in the very high 800s and benched 661 without a shirt.

Brian Siders is a complete animal, but the single ply squats suits of today and the becnh shirts of today, cannot be compared to what Kaz and Coan wore. Brian weighs 330 and still has not touched Coans Squat or Deadlift numbers, although with todays bench shirt Siders destroys Kaz and Coan, but with that you cant really compare. But all three of these guys lifted and lift in flawless fashion, which does not exist in todays superply monolift feds.

An article on the lifting of Ed Coan…

http://www.joeskopec.com/eddy.html

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:

The thing is, I think Mash is the only one to beat Coan’s 220 record, but I don’t follow it that closely so I may be wrong.

Bear[/quote]

Mash totalled more in a multy ply fed one time only to get smoked by Coan later the same year at a USAPL meet.

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
Mr. Bear wrote:

Bear

Mash totalled more in a multy ply fed one time only to get smoked by Coan later the same year at a USAPL meet.
[/quote]

Definitely a good point that I failed to mention. Travis’ total was at the GNC show of strength and really cannot be compared to Coan’s.

Which meet did he get beat by Coan? He also got outtotalled by someone else that day if I remember correctly.

Bear

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
Viking69 wrote:
Mr. Bear wrote:

Bear

Definitely a good point that I failed to mention. Travis’ total was at the GNC show of strength and really cannot be compared to Coan’s.

Which meet did he get beat by Coan? He also got outtotalled by someone else that day if I remember correctly.

Bear[/quote]

I think it was the Mountaineer Cup. Mash is an incredible powerlifter, we will see what he can do at the New England Record Breakers.

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
[/quote]

USPF meet…don’t think the USAPL wants anything to do with Coan…

[quote]Viking69 wrote:

Brian Siders is a complete animal, but the single ply squats suits of today and the becnh shirts of today, cannot be compared to what Kaz and Coan wore. Brian weighs 330 and still has not touched Coans Squat or Deadlift numbers, although with todays bench shirt Siders destroys Kaz and Coan, but with that you cant really compare. [/quote]

Yeah, mainly because Siders has to actually pass a drug test here or there…

[quote]But all three of these guys lifted and lift in flawless fashion, which does not exist in todays superply monolift feds.
[/quote]

Blanket statements like this show your bias. Yeah, there’s some crappy lifting, but to say it does not exist is completely false. Statements like this are the bad thing about our sport.

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
[/quote]

And what did Coan put up in the WPO? Oh that’s right, not as much as Mash.

Never mind the circumstances of Mash’s lifting at the Mountaineer Cup (which admittedly were his own fault). He had done 3 or 4 meets over the course of as many months and was getting nearly zero from his bench shirt. Again, just remember that perspective must be given. It’s always funny that single ply guys expect the multiply guys to come play in their playground, but will never venture to the other.

And no, it wasn’t a USAPL meet; Ed Coan has a lifetime suspension from the IPF for failing drug tests.

Ed Coan is clearly the man in Powerlifting. A few others are pretty high up there, but Ed Stands alone.

Simple

[quote]RickJames wrote:
Viking69 wrote:

Yeah, mainly because Siders has to actually pass a drug test here or there…

Blanket statements like this show your bias. Yeah, there’s some crappy lifting, but to say it does not exist is completely false. Statements like this are the bad thing about our sport.[/quote]

We can thank the Bulgarians for spreading the knowdlege of how to pass drug test.

Yes I am bias twords as you call it “crappy lifting” I think we all are. Coan, Siders, and Kaz are/were ambassadors to PL and lift in imaculate fashion that everyone should try to imulate.

My bad, USPF…