Ed Coan Squat Cycle

Has anyone here have experience with the 14 week ed coan squat cycle???

This is his real Squat Cycle…

Week1 2x10
Week2 2x10
Week3 2x8
Week4 2x8
Week5 2x5
Week6 2x5
Week7 2x5
Week8 2x3
Week9 2x3
Week10 2x2
Week11 2x2
Week12 1x1 @ +30 POUND PR

Take your max, add 30 pounds to it. Put that weight in Week12.

Depending on how strong your squat already is, you will subtract either 10,15,20,or 25 pounds a week and that is the weight you will use with the rep schemes written above.

I believe he only “extends” from this 12 week cycle to 14+ week cycles for very ADVANCED lifters; and all he does is add another 2-3 weeks of 5’s in there and follows the same principle.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
This is his real Squat Cycle…

Week1 2x10
Week2 2x10
Week3 2x8
Week4 2x8
Week5 2x5
Week6 2x5
Week7 2x5
Week8 2x3
Week9 2x3
Week10 2x2
Week11 2x2
Week12 1x1 @ +30 POUND PR

Take your max, add 30 pounds to it. Put that weight in Week12.

Depending on how strong your squat already is, you will subtract either 10,15,20,or 25 pounds a week and that is the weight you will use with the rep schemes written above.

I believe he only “extends” from this 12 week cycle to 14+ week cycles for very ADVANCED lifters; and all he does is add another 2-3 weeks of 5’s in there and follows the same principle.

thanks,looks like a good peaking cycle,have you tried it?? my squat is 230kg,i would like 245kg after i run the cycle,seems doable :slight_smile:

yes, I added +40 pounds to my squat using it, the +30 pound PR felt easy.

yes, it should add that weight no problem.

I will say one thing though, at your level, I think you have to take 25 pound jumps each week…or maybe 20. I’m not sure.

My best suggestion is start with -25 pounds each week. Look at the first 4 weeks. Do they look doable? If it is doable, and not impossible, that is probably the right weight. If not, then you will have to use 30 pounds. If it looks WAYYY TOO EASY then you probably subtract 20 pounds.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
yes, I added +40 pounds to my squat using it, the +30 pound PR felt easy.

yes, it should add that weight no problem.

I will say one thing though, at your level, I think you have to take 25 pound jumps each week…or maybe 20. I’m not sure.

My best suggestion is start with -25 pounds each week. Look at the first 4 weeks. Do they look doable? If it is doable, and not impossible, that is probably the right weight. If not, then you will have to use 30 pounds. If it looks WAYYY TOO EASY then you probably subtract 20 pounds.

thats awesome man,i really appreciate all your info,been helpfull,i will run the programme and let you know how itgoes,again thank you :slight_smile:

^ ^!

I wouldn’t bother. It’s a linear program, and that style of progression fell out of favour a long time ago.

[quote]Caltene wrote:
I wouldn’t bother. It’s a linear program, and that style of progression fell out of favour a long time ago.[/quote]

lol

I’m currently running my training based off of this basic calculator:
http://joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

I lowered my maxes by about 10% and I’m progressing quite well through it right now.

Yeah bro, go with 5/3/1 instead it’s the world’s most proven strength program™

[quote]Caltene wrote:
I wouldn’t bother. It’s a linear program, and that style of progression fell out of favour a long time ago.[/quote]

Dafuq?

CS

Come on guys, it’s Caltene. The fact that he doesn’t like it is probably the highest praise it could receive.