Ed Coan Program

I have been doing some reading about the Ed Coan 8-14 week program and have started the set up myself. What i have questions about are the days. Would there be a difference between doing Squat/Bench/Deadlift/Accessory on M/W/F/S opposed to doing it on M/T/T/F?
I see people doing it Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri but CSEagles said that he reccommended one day in between each of the main lifts. Would it really matter and/or have any different effect on training?

As long as you follow the program and rest enough to recover exactly what days you train shouldn’t matter too much. I’ve been training in two day blocks for the last year and have had no recourse issues at all.

I’m about to start 531 (well, in a month or so after my next meet) and I’ll be doing that MTTF. I don’t see how that would be an issue for the Ed Coan program wither.

1 Like

Thank you for the input. If i may ask did you have good gains on this program? And when did the program begin to get tough for you?

I did ed coans bench program for 3 cycles, a great program and made 10-20 lb gains each time. got hard on my third week of sets of five.

Was it more or less neurological gains or did you notice you got bigger and stronger?

definitely strength gains. if youre looking for size id take the Saturday used for high reps and do cable flies and stuff instead. nice thing is I kept most all my gains from it unlike other programs like smolov where youll add 50lbs but only keep half. wouldn’t recommend it for a meet prep though, its more made for offseason bulking

Apologies, I should have been more specific in my statement. I have trained in two day blocks on a program, I have never done this particular one. But, I still largely stand by my assertion that in most cases training two days back to back is fine.

Did you do 2 or 3 sets for the main exercise every workout for Ed Coan’s program?