Ed Coan Bench Routine Calculator

Hey was just wondering what you all think of Ed Coan’s bench routine calculaor.
www.joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html
That’s the link to his calculaor, and you can find the program on pretty much anysite if you type in ed coan bench press program.

Just wondering if anyone has checked out that calculaor before, tried it and got good results. Im benchin mid 300’s now, tryin to get my bench back where it was before all my conditioning so I can finally hit 405. Thanks a lot!

looks like minimal assistance or is that not included, i would do DE instead of the light bench day and i use alot mroe assistance than that of course hes alot stronger than me so i cant argue with that

The heavy day seems really heavy, and that’s probably why there isn’t so much assistance work. Haven’t tried the program but it does seem intriguing. I might try it out next year.

Also I’m a big fan of trying out programs exactly as written by the expert. At least the first time. It’s the only way to properly evaluate the effectiveness of the original program.

What is in the calculator. You would use on the wednesday workout and that’s how you would periodize your weights. Here is the full program. Wednesday is the calculator part, everyhing else is on your own.

Alright here’s the program full force.

Wednesday: bench press, after warmup, 2 work sets. Narrow grip, no warmup, 2 work sets (60 pounds less). Incline, no warmup, 2 work sets (50 pounds less). Points to ponder: In so far as poundage: if Coan performs 2x5 with 500 in the conventional bench press, he would then perform 2x5x440 with 440 in the narrow grip bench press and finish with 2x5x410 in the 45 degree incline bench pres. He feels that his competition style benches serve as sufficient warmup for his narrow grips which in turn allow him to incline without any warmup. All told, Coan performs a total of 6 work sets. Not very many when you think about it.

Thursday: Press-behind-the-neck, after warmup, 2 work sets. Front lateral raise, after warmup, 2 work sets 10-12 reps. Side lateral raise, 2 sets 10-12 reps. Bent over lateral raise, 2 sets 10-12 reps. Points to ponder: Coan is a big believer in heavy, specific shoulder training. So much that he trains them on a separate day from his bench…

Saturday: Light bench, no warmup, 2 sets 8-10 reps. Light dumbbell flyes, no warmup, 2 sets 8-10 reps. Tricep pushdowns, 3 sets 8-10 reps, Dips 1 set 8-10 reps, Preacher curls 2 sets 10-12 reps. Points to ponder: This is a lightweight, muscle flushing, chest workout. Ed does a couple of quick sets with a weight about 60 percent of his max (340x10) with his feet on a bench. A few sets of light flyes and he is ready for triceps…

I’m looking to do this, I weighed 195 and benched 375, (i want that double BW bench) but got real into muay thai so my strength went down etc etc. I tested out my max its around 340. I want a program that will bump me up to 380 and if you type in the calculator 340 it should give you a 380 bench at the end. My nutrtion is in check. high cals high protein I just wanna do it. Goal is ultimately 405, I think I would’ve hit it last year but I completely lost track of lifting and now am back FULL FORCE!
I need to do 405 before nxt october. So that gives me almost a year.