Ed Coan Bench Program Epic Fail

I started Ed Coan’s bench routine that’s joeskopec today

I was able to bang out the reps on flat bench but i wasn’t able to do the weight on incline and close grip

should i scrap the routine?..or should I just drop weight on close grip and incline and try to flat bench as the program says?

[quote]manu1433 wrote:
just drop weight on close grip and incline and try to flat bench as the program says?
[/quote]

Do that.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]manu1433 wrote:
just drop weight on close grip and incline and try to flat bench as the program says?
[/quote]

Do that.[/quote]

I am going back and forth between doing that or going with sheiko right now.

I am leaning towards sticking with the ed coan routine though. I feel it’s pretty dumb that I can bench 265 but struggle with doing 155 for 10 reps on incline. I knew the close grip was gonna be a bitch going in. However, I didn’t think incline was gonna F*** me like it did. Boy was I wrong.

It’d had been a few months since I have done incline but my chest has always been ahead stronger than triceps on bench anyway. All I’ll say is that you evidently have to be a super balanced lifter (in your arms anyway) to complete this routine as prescribed.

Is it a big deal if i end up missing some reps on flat bench on this routine?

Drop the training max by like 10lbs which will lower the flat bench too. For me if my first lift (bench) goes to failure or just about, then the rest of my pressing lifts suffer just a bit. But if my last bench rep is fairly strong and fast the rest of my workout goes better. It may be that your bench (which you completed) made it so you could not complete the other lifts.

I plugged in numbers for this program and it looks like the last week would be a 30lb PR. If that is correct I think it needs to be more like a 20lb PR at most which means starting 10lbs less.

I’m in week 11 of the program right now. As the poster above suggested I would drop your max down 10 or maybe even 20 pds. You shouldn’t be missing reps early in this program and if you are your max is probably set to high. I haven’t missed any reps through the first ten weeks although last week called for two doubles at 350 and I ended up doing four paused singles because I thought I might fail pausing the second rep of each set and didn’t have a spotter.

Dropping down the max on the flat bench will also drop down the numbers on the other two lifts. Hitting the close grip and incline numbers has been easier for me than the flat bench numbers so based on everything you’ve written I think your max is set to high. Adjust it downward and make sure to do plenty of additional tricep work after your benching and I think you will be happy with the results.

High rep close grip kills me for some reason. Looking back at my log, 225 for 10s was difficult, and now later in the cycle im not worried at all at doing triples with 300, probly even end up pausing some of em. Dunno what it is.

Also when i set up my numbers for the cycle i went with my own ratio on close grip vs normal. Dnt be afraid to tweak the numbers some, is what im getting at. Remember, Coan didnt use a spreadsheet/calculator.

[quote]DBasler wrote:
I’m in week 11 of the program right now. As the poster above suggested I would drop your max down 10 or maybe even 20 pds. You shouldn’t be missing reps early in this program and if you are your max is probably set to high. I haven’t missed any reps through the first ten weeks although last week called for two doubles at 350 and I ended up doing four paused singles because I thought I might fail pausing the second rep of each set and didn’t have a spotter.

Dropping down the max on the flat bench will also drop down the numbers on the other two lifts. Hitting the close grip and incline numbers has been easier for me than the flat bench numbers so based on everything you’ve written I think your max is set to high. Adjust it downward and make sure to do plenty of additional tricep work after your benching and I think you will be happy with the results. [/quote]

The max i set is my actual max. I did it last Monday . I think it’s more of me sucking ass on incline bench because i hardly ever do it.

In week 8 for instance this program says i should do 248 for 2 sets of 3 . When i was just doing a progressive load routine i ended up getting 245 for 3 sets of 3 before i switched to 5/3/1

I should also mention that I have never really performed high reps in any of these three lifts.

[quote]mkral55 wrote:
High rep close grip kills me for some reason. Looking back at my log, 225 for 10s was difficult, and now later in the cycle im not worried at all at doing triples with 300, probly even end up pausing some of em. Dunno what it is.

Also when i set up my numbers for the cycle i went with my own ratio on close grip vs normal. Dnt be afraid to tweak the numbers some, is what im getting at. Remember, Coan didnt use a spreadsheet/calculator.[/quote]

That’s a good point. I when I first seen this routine I thought to myself “There is no way that these lifts will correlate so perfectly.” I’ve seen to many people who are unusually strong in either close grip or incline compared to their actual bench.

[quote]manu1433 wrote:

[quote]DBasler wrote:

Dropping down the max on the flat bench will also drop down the numbers on the other two lifts. Hitting the close grip and incline numbers has been easier for me than the flat bench numbers so based on everything you’ve written I think your max is set to high. Adjust it downward and make sure to do plenty of additional tricep work after your benching and I think you will be happy with the results. [/quote]

The max i set is my actual max. I did it last Monday. I think it’s more of me sucking ass on incline bench because i hardly ever do it.

In week 8 for instance this program says i should do 248 for 2 sets of 3 . When i was just doing a progressive load routine i ended up getting 245 for 3 sets of 3 before i switched to 5/3/1

I should also mention that I have never really performed high reps in any of these three lifts.[/quote]

I’m not questioning that you got 265 I just think based on what your saying you would be better off lowering the max to 255 which would have you ending the cycle with a 284 single. That may be a little agressive but even if you only get 275 or 280 that is a 10-15 pound gain in three months which isn’t bad. I doubt if sticking with the program with the higher weights and continuing to miss reps on the close grips and inclines will produce that kind of gain but I may be wrong.

I’m taking the opposite tack–I think you should continue doing whatever program you’re doing right now and turn the focus on your repetition incline bench so that it doesn’t suck. When it’s in the ballpark for the first week of the Coan program, you should go start the program. It might even make you strong cuz it’s such a weak link…

Are you supposed to max the week before you start the program? If not, I’d say that might be a factor here as well.

Find the training with ed coan thread.

As long as you hit the the first lift correctly I don’t think it matters too much what your numbers are for assistance work

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Find the training with ed coan thread.

As long as you hit the the first lift correctly I don’t think it matters too much what your numbers are for assistance work[/quote]

didn’t know there was one…thanks