Ectomorph?

I just started to bench at my local 24 hour and I was wondering how i would know for sure if I am an ectomorph? I am 13 years old, 5,4 and weigh about 120.

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
I just started to bench at my local 24 hour and I was wondering how i would know for sure if I am an ectomorph? I am 13 years old, 5,4 and weigh about 120. [/quote]

You’re not an ectomorph. You’re 13 years old. There’s no possible way you could know whether you’re a mesomorph, an endo-mesomorph, an ectomorph with mesopmorph tendancies, or a triple whamm-o supreme zangomorph.

P.S. - Some people, myself included, don’t actually believe in that whole classification system. You’re you. Lift your weights, eat your food, tweak your routine as needed to produce results. Problem solved.

P.P.S. - What does your current routine look like? (Exercises, sets, reps, and days)

[quote]Colucci wrote:
fartmonkey64 wrote:
I just started to bench at my local 24 hour and I was wondering how i would know for sure if I am an ectomorph? I am 13 years old, 5,4 and weigh about 120.

You’re not an ectomorph. You’re 13 years old. There’s no possible way you could know whether you’re a mesomorph, an endo-mesomorph, an ectomorph with mesopmorph tendancies, or a triple whamm-o supreme zangomorph.

P.S. - Some people, myself included, don’t actually believe in that whole classification system. You’re you. Lift your weights, eat your food, tweak your routine as needed to produce results. Problem solved.

P.P.S. - What does your current routine look like? (Exercises, sets, reps, and days)[/quote]

I agree. For the most part, that classification system is useless unless someone is looking BACK over years of training and judging how their body responded. I was a skinny kid growing up. No one would classify me as an “ectomorph” right now even though some might have if they saw me in high school as a freshman. Judging a body type of someone who is untrained is pointless.

Bodybuilding isn’t about just what you start with but also how your body responds. You could be the smallest guy on the block but end up gaining muscle faster than everyone and years later passing everyone else up in terms of muscle gained. If a 150lbs kid now weighs over 250lbs, is he still an “ectomorph”?

Also, as was already stated, at 13 there is no way your body has even matured fully yet. You could not lift anything and gain more muscle from where you are right now simply because you are male. Judging body type makes no sense at your stage and serves no purpose.

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
I just started to bench at my local 24 hour and I was wondering how i would know for sure if I am an ectomorph? I am 13 years old, 5,4 and weigh about 120. [/quote]

Difficult to tell at 13 like others have said.

Usually you can’t possibly classify somebody as ecto, meso or endo… there are numerous combinations.

But, generally a pure ecto has a very narrow chest, small waist, long arms and legs, low fat storage, high metabolism, small joints, generally just lack natural muscle.

Now I always thought that it was all relative, ecto’s may not have as much natural muscle but that doesn’t mean they can’t pack on the pounds with the right attack. Take an ecto training attack and you will pass up every non-ecto you see. I’ve seen some serious gains by people classified as “ecto”.

I can get over 250lbs and my waist is still a 32… and I’m a dictionary defintion “ecto”, term is useless if you just workout hard and stay commited. I don’t like the term because it seems to refer to smaller built people as “hardgainers”, when in reality they are the ones that seem to pack on the most weight and their muscles look gigantic on the smaller frame. Don’t worry too much about body type. Those genetics don’t mean shit. It’s your training style that counts.

[quote]Colucci wrote:
fartmonkey64 wrote:

P.P.S. - What does your current routine look like? (Exercises, sets, reps, and days)[/quote]

Well, I’ve been having some trouble having a good routine becuase, I just joined a year round swim team and the practice is crazy and the only days I can workout are: Tuesdays, some times Fridays, Saturday, and sometimes on Sunday.

[quote]Colucci wrote:
fartmonkey64 wrote:

And when I bench, does the bar touch my chest?

I weighed back and forth between 115 and 130 at 6ft in 10th and 11th grade of high school. people said i was an ectomorph, people said i was a hardgainer. And i let myself believe it. And thats what allowed me to have a mindset of failure. Once i decided that “hardgainer” is just an excuse i shot up. right now i’m 180 on the way to 190, then i’ll take a few months from bulking and next semester i’ll shoot for 205, and make it.
The point is its all in your head, If you believe your 200 lbs you’ll eat like it, train like it, and become it. Even if you are the textbook example of ectomorph, fuck it. YOU ARE NOT A HARDGAINER

touch the bar to your chest