Ectomorph Workout

Ok, so I recently joined a gym, bought some good vitamins and supplements. I started working out, hitting it hard thinking I was doing all the right things.

I had to be doing something wrong to get the attention from one of the guys who usually frequents the gym. Well, he made me stop doing what I was doing and convinced me to go outside to talk.

We had this long conversation about training and eating. This guy really knew his stuff. He said that I was an ectomorph. I was a little put off, “What the hell is an ectomorph”? He explained that there are thrree body types and the reason why it has be difficult for me to “bulk up” and gain a little weight was simply because of my body type.

It made a whole lot of sense, but I wasn’t going to take his word for the truth. I locked myself in a library and researched like I was cramming for an exam.

I am an ectomorph, which explains a whole lot. All this time I am thinking more reps+more weight=Bulk and mass. That my be the gospel truth for someone else, but for me I had to assume an alternate perspective.

Like I said in my previous thread/posts, I am new to weight training. I am about as green and green can be. I am always learning and willing to learn more.

Now, my question is, what kind of workout routine would an ectomorph use?

Please, If you guys have opinions and advice, feel free to comment. I can use all the help I can get.

Thank you all for reading this long post.

It’s not really the workout that will matter here; it’s your dietary intake. Read Berardi’s Massive Eating, and then start eating. A lot.

As long as you’re consistent in sticking to a program, especially as a beginner, you’ll put on muscle mass if you’re eating enough

Well, dude, we all pretty much use the same exercises.

Diet wise I think you should be eating anything and everything you can, all day long. Eat, eat, eat. Then when you are done eating, eat some more. Also, I wouldn’t be to concerned with what you eat as adding fat won’t be a huge problem for your body type.

As for training, I would keep the volume low and the training time short. I would do the big lifts (squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, bench) and limit the workout to 30-45 minutes. These lifts give you the biggest band for your buck so you don’t have to spend hours in the gym. Your body burns calories just from sitting on your ass, so you don’t want to be burning more than you have to. Also, I would cut out cardio completely.

Look for Costomized Volume Training by Mike Mahler, I use those exercises

I always learn so much from you guys, thanks a whole bunch. Much love to you all.

Thanx

Just buy Arnies New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.

I am sure you’ll learn if not know a ton more than where you’re at now.

Best of luck, and if you do go ahead and buy that book, you wont regret it.

aloha!