Ectomorph With A Gut

[quote]Professor X wrote:
SeanT wrote:
Mine “enlarges” when I eat, otherwise its a normal size.

I am interested. Are there people out there who think this is abnormal?[/quote]

Not really, it just shows up with inconsistency in eating. I get that after a period of not eating sufficiently… when I eat properly again. Correlates with a swing of 2-3 kg of bodyweight as well, I think.

That kind of thing is probably less noticeable for guys with a trunk that’s in good shape.

Personally I haven’t had periods of caloric excess long enough to notice development of a gut, or any other fat layering. So I suspect the poster is similar to myself, and isn’t talking of the typical “beer belly”.

(Edit:) Here’s a response to critter:

Since you mentioned in the beginning that you were taking the heavy/low rep approach, you might want to increase the training volume of your compound moves, like your combined flat/incline press, chins, and squats. That is, doing a sum of sets of around 24-30 repetitions. Ofcourse, remember to make sure you’re only approaching failure in the end of the last set.

In preparation to doing the deadlift, you might have to do some direct ab work for increased strenght, and do deadlifts with practically no weight at all, if you have to, and keep your back with proper posture, use 2 pound dumbbells if you have to!

And since I forgot, here’s another edit: I think you all should read about the uselessness of bulking in the archive and then think again, if you still feel like it’s a great idea. I just think the mentality of some of you is a bit off. Sure, eat more, since you need more energy than you spend to grow, but if your gut grows faster than your musculature, ease it down a little, you’re eating too much. Obviously, when reducing intake, minimising protein reduction is probably a good idea, and the meals right after a workout can be more excessive than than usual.

[quote]critter wrote:
I have fast food two to three times a week (I’m a college guy), but I figured any calories are good calories when you are trying to pack on some weight. [/quote]

you are what you eat…
eat healthy and you will not get such a gut i think, especially if you’re really an ectomorph (which i doubt if you gain weight that easily), maybe just a bad way of life before :wink:
proper food is needed when you wanna gain