Ectomorph With A Gut

Hi guys. Let me say thanks in advance for any advice… truly appreciated.

Well as you might suspect I am new to weight lifting. I have an ectomorphic body type (6 feet 155 lbs when I started). Every article I have read online mentioned that low reps with heavy weights in combination with a high calorie diet will help me put on some muscle mass.

On the one hand I have had some moderate muscle gains, particularly in the chest and bi/tricep regions. However, I have also put on a significant gut. The growth of my gut has outpaced the growth of my muscles, and I fear if I continue at this rate THAT will become the noticeable gain and not the overall mass.

So I suppose my question is this: should I lower the caloric intake and try to trim the gut back down now, or should I continue the ‘bulking phase’ and just allow the gut to continue to grow with my muscles.

In theory, once I end the bulking phase I should be able to lose the gut, but seeing as how I am an ectomorph, I fear I will lose my muscle gains also. Does anyone have advice on what I should target?

Try cleaning doing a clean bulk with minimal “bad” foods - Spacing out meals throughout the day, get in at least five. And keep eating that protein.

lee priest gets a gut when he bulks too.

I’ve been putting on a gut too. I wouldn’t worry about it. Mine “enlarges” when i eat, otherwise its a normal size. From what I hear, you can lean up really quick, so I wouldnt worry about the gut.

How have your legs progressed?

[quote]SeanT wrote:
Mine “enlarges” when i eat, otherwise its a normal size. [/quote]

I am interested. Are there people out there who think this is abnormal?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
SeanT wrote:
Mine “enlarges” when i eat, otherwise its a normal size.

I am interested. Are there people out there who think this is abnormal?[/quote]

haha, that must of sounded like the stupidest quote. -.- uhhh…im stupid.

Yea, my legs have progressed also. Honestly, it’s amazing I have put on any muscle at all… I’ve been a skinny guy all my life. I guess I’m just a little paranoid about getting stuck with a gut when I’m done packing on the weight.

As far as my diet goes, I’d say it’s been average. I have fast food two to three times a week (I’m a college guy), but I figured any calories are good calories when you are trying to pack on some weight. I’ll try cutting out the fast food and stick to some cleaner foods. Do you guys have a suggestion for meal plans for an ectomorph?

I have to ask you were a stick 155 at 6 foot man thats thing pretty skinny when you started. Now you say you have a gut etc… How much have you put on? How much progress on lifts etc have you made, and how long have you been doing it

Phill

[quote]critter wrote:

As far as my diet goes, I’d say it’s been average. I have fast food two to three times a week (I’m a college guy), but I figured any calories are good calories when you are trying to pack on some weight. I’ll try cutting out the fast food and stick to some cleaner foods. Do you guys have a suggestion for meal plans for an ectomorph? [/quote]

Dump the fast food. I spend $50-$60/week (i’m a college guy too) to eat clean, and my intake right now is right around 3000-3300kcal. Protein powder is your friend, so is the produce section of your local grocery store and the meat counter.

Any diet plan will work really (it took me a while to realize this). Because you’re an ectomorph you can probably handle a lot of carbs–take advantage of that. I’m a FFB so my carbs stay in the morning and post work out. Just eat! stick to clean foods and eat 400-500kcal (or more!) every 2-3 hours and you’ll be more than fine.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
critter wrote:

As far as my diet goes, I’d say it’s been average. I have fast food two to three times a week (I’m a college guy), but I figured any calories are good calories when you are trying to pack on some weight. I’ll try cutting out the fast food and stick to some cleaner foods. Do you guys have a suggestion for meal plans for an ectomorph?

Dump the fast food. I spend $50-$60/week (i’m a college guy too) to eat clean, and my intake right now is right around 3000-3300kcal. Protein powder is your friend, so is the produce section of your local grocery store and the meat counter.

[/quote]

Agreed. I have never understood what was so complicated about bulking and now that I am actually trying to put on muscle to move up a weight class or two, I still don’t see whats so complicated.

The easiest thing: Get 2L of whole milk after every workout. I’m a uni student too, and I use Organic Lactose Free milk… so you can too if you want…

P.S. Can’t wait to get some Raw Milk.

I’m up to 178 now, but like I said, the stomach gains have been outpacing the muscles. I’ve definitely gotten bigger, but particularly around the waist. I’m gonna try eating cleaner though (no fast food / alcohol) and see how that goes. Hopefully my body will keep putting on the weight, but more in the muscles than the gut.

the lifts have definitely been improving. I started out benching 135 and have moved up to 165. For incline bench press I started out at 95 pounds, and have moved up to 135. For isolation curls I started using 25 pound weights and now I am up to 35.

In theory I could probably use even heavier weights, but at the sacrifice of form (which I am under the impression I should NOT do). In either case, you can see there have been consistent gains. I was VERY weak when I started, but I am getting stronger.

Again How long have you been consistently training, eating, etc…

Phill

Phil,

I’ve been going at it for four months now.

[quote]critter wrote:
Phil,

I’ve been going at it for four months now.[/quote]

Drop in the pond bro.

Patients and consistency. Keep going drop some of the junk and keep working hard for a few years

Bro at 6’ 175 you cant be to darn over fat, 20 lbs in 16 weeks as a newbie is very very reasonable. work hard eat to slowly gain and just keep going’

Phill

Your body composition sucks. Your bodyweight is low but your bodyfat percentage is high. It’s not uncommon at all.

I saw a study that showed that many anorexics are technically fat…because their body composition sucks.

You’re going to have to recomp your body over time through a series of cutting and bulking phases (you knew that though).

Many authors suggest “cutting” if your bodyfat is over 15%, and going the bulking route if it is under. Some say bulk if you’re under 20%.

Keep with it. Don’t give up. Dial in on the basics of healthy eating and training. YOU WILL REACH YOUR GOALS!

Yea, I wasn’t blessed with great genetics as far as body composition goes. But that’s fine with me; I don’t mind doing the work to get there. I just want to make sure I am doing the right work, or at least on the right path to my goals.

It’s hard to sort out the information when you are a beginner because there is so much to read/follow. For now I’m gonna try eating clean for the next 3 months and see if some of this gut comes off, you never know… those extra few pounds of fat could have been coming from burger king and booze. Hopefully that’s the only adjustments I will have to make. We’ll see.

Fat is very easy to gain but very hard to drop. Don’t be fooled by Lee Priest’s transformations. The guy’s probably a freak of nature as well as jackin’ up.

20 lbs in 16 weeks is, as pointed out earlier, very reasonable for a beginner. You may wanna cut your calorific intake on off-days. Can’t remember who in the T-crew wrote about that, but I’m sure Berardi must have tackled it somewhere. Go around the nutrition articles, you’ll find tons of valuable info.

P.S: How old are you? Metabolism slows down with age.

about the gut - if you have a very narrow lower midsection naturally and then eat a heavy meal it will make a noticeable difference in the temporary look, like you’re going to give birth to the three course meal you just had! Junk food is worst. It’s possible you’re eating too many sugary foods too.

I can get the same the effect and like many men any fat gain is around the gut rather than elsewhere.

I doubt you can grow much muscle if restricting calories. What you will be pleased to learn is that more muscle means a higher rate of calorie burn just standin still and that the pouch of fat you have now will look relatively smaller over time (as long as it stays the same) and when you do lose it the overall look will be good.

Do you squat and deadlift ? You didn’t metion these lifts at all.

[quote]Forever_Failure wrote:
Do you squat and deadlift ? You didn’t metion these lifts at all.[/quote]

Hey guys, this is an old thread but somehow got cookin again. Anyway, I figured I would update you since it came up again. I still have, what i consider to be a gut from bulking.
My current stats:
Height: 6 Feet
Weight: 185
Waist: 36’ :frowning:

As far as lifts go
[starting lifts]:
bench: 135
incline bench: 95
pull ups: 3
dips: 5
squats (atg): 45

[current lifts]:
bench: 190
incline bench: 155
pull ups: 8
dips: 10
squats (20 rep breathing [atg]): 100

I do not deadlift for one simple reason: I can’t seem to get the proper form down. Everytime I have tried them I have walked away with lower backpain. I’m hoping that working on the 20 rep breathing squats will cover me for now.

Anyway, the gut is still here, but it hasn’t gotten any larger. I’ve been keeping an eye on it with measuring tape. It’s been around 36 inches now for a good month or so. I decided if it creeps up to 38 inches I will stop bulking and cut immediatley. The last thing I want to do is get stuck with an ugly gut.

My goal is to reach 200 pounds by the time fall comes around. In the mean time I’ll be keeping an eye on the waist measurements. If you guys have any advice on how to slim the gut down while bulking though I am all ears. Thanks in advance.