Ectomorph Training?

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:
I am an “ectomorph” too. But I think it’s just means, like someone said here, that our brain tells us to stop eating, while endomorphs dont have this signal.

While you might not be able to forcefeed yourself during one meal, you can start eating one meal per day more and have a littlebit extra with each meal.

Like if you eat 3 meals “breffy, lunch, dinner” you can drink a glass of skim milk for example after eating, and it will give you 250~Calories more, and then have a sandwich snack at some point 250~ Calories, and you’re already eating 500Calories more per day and gaining weight…[/quote]

lol no.[/quote]

And Ryan, any chance of you posting something useful one of these days?[/quote]

ectomorphs have a signal in there brain that tells them to stop eating, but endomorphs dont?

what would you even like me to say to that?
[/quote]

Disregard it, anyone with half a brain will know this is rubbish.

[quote]seekonk wrote:
I am the same height and had been stuck at 166lbs for a long time, pretty much irrespective of what I would eat. I have recently made some progress, though, gaining about 8 pounds to 174 lbs, thanks mainly to TRT. Still, I have the type of metabolism where I am very lean pretty much irrespective of calories and start losing mass if I skip more than two days of training.

When I eat more calories I get hot, restless, sick, and I am tossing and turning all night with insomnia burning them off, so benadryl and sometimes benzos are helpful just to be able to sleep when eating more. Also, whenever in the past I have taken a break from training I easily lose 10 lbs in the first couple of weeks, which I then have to struggle to regain, so I have learned that I cannot afford not training for more than two days in a row.

However, it is not so bad. If you look at the height/weight ratios of Men’s Fitness models, a lot of them are around 6’ 175 lbs and they look good enough for a magazine, so things could be worse. By being lean you can actually look bigger than guys who are heavier.[/quote]

And unfortunately force-feeding to some degree is necessary to start with. You’ve got to get your body used to handling more food. It can and will adapt, but the first few months/year can be unpleasant.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
Eat big, go for reps. Without more details I couldn’t give any specialized advice. Being highly ectomorphic myself, I knew being big IS NO EASY FEAT! Those first few years were the hardest, consistency is the name of the game. Just enough vigorous training, plenty of good food, and adequate rest. You have to be a bit neurotic for this sport/hobby of ours. However, I won’t concede to the idea that my body type is a hindering me from being big that’ll simply won’t do. Train a like mad man…[/quote]
very good advice

The “ectomorph” typing is complete BS. These people are just tall and skinnyfat. The skinnyfat belly look will go away after some good consistent training and eating. I think all these specialized low volume only compound ectomorph programs out there only worsen these guys.[/quote]

Disagree again. I’m 6’3" and before training I looked more like a lanky 6’7" because of my body shape. Again, I think it’s harder to fill out such a wiry frame with lbm for these types.

This is no excuse in itself though, give it enough intensity, calories, rest and PATIENCE and it will come.

And yeah low volume only compound exercise program’s not as good an idea as some people will have you believe

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
This is no excuse in itself though, give it enough intensity, calories, rest and PATIENCE and it will come.
[/quote]

^^this applies to virtually everyone.

There are very few people who gain considerable amounts of muscle with ease, very few.

Endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph, IronDwarf… Doesn’t matter. Those are, generally, just used as fancy terms for the excuses people make. (The first three anyway lol :wink:

The “ectomorph” typing is complete BS. These people are just tall and skinnyfat. The skinnyfat belly look will go away after some good consistent training and eating. I think all these specialized low volume only compound ectomorph programs out there only worsen these guys.[/quote]

No, it is not BS. You misunderstand. We are talking about skinny LEAN people, not skinny fat, like you can see our abs and veins, who have difficulty gaining.

[quote]NikH wrote:
If you have an endomorph and an ectomorph with the same activity level, and put them in a buffee restaurant the endomorph is likely to eat more before feeling full than the ectomorph. So whats the problem?[/quote]

No, the ectomorph will eat MORE than the endomorph and still lose weight, while the endomorph will gain weight eating less food.

I have a program for you… So you say you don’t want to force feed yourself, but want to gain muscle? You are 100% sure you are a ‘hardgainer’ or whatever the bullshit term is. Then do this program and follow it completely.

Take a load that you could do for a ball busting set of 10 for the squat, then once you hit the ten rep mark start taking multiple breaths between reps, add one more breath each more rep after ten and hit 20 reps. If you did it right you should be groaning involuntarily in pain and your legs should feel painful to the touch.

Move onto bent over rows for four sets of eight, low incline press for three sets of 10-12, stiff legged deadlifts for two-three sets of 15, and if you have anything left do some lateral rear delt raises and curls. Now here is the fun thing, start drinking very large quantities of milk. Back when this type of program was common you would drink a gallon of milk (of course that is not recommended unless somehow you can’t gain weight without it).

Add five to ten pounds to the squat every time, and add weight to the other lifts when you hit the prescribed reps. You will do this three times a week and have a goal of adding at least 10 pounds to your ‘breathing squat’ set a week, 15 is ideal if you can progress like that.

Better take some vitamin K2 (MK-7) with all that milk or your arteries are going to calcify. :slight_smile:

But aren’t there more concentrated protein sources (Greek yoghurt), whey shakes, etc., without all that liquid?

Wow, excellent responses. Thanks! Typical diet: 7AM Smoothie (1/3 veg, 2/3 fruit, whole milk, oats/barley/flax, yog, edamame, beans, rice, green tea, partial scoop of Beverly?s UMP?32oz, ~600cal); 10AM post workout shake (12oz whole milk, partial scoop of Beverly MP-trying not to spend all a teachers salary on protein) & cottage cheese; noon lunch- chef salad, veggies, fruit, milk (school lunch); 4PM tortillas & bean dip snack; 5pm- pork steak, baked potato, broccoli & cheese; 8PM- 18oz whole milk w/ UMP. I do realize there?s room for more here.

Started deadlifting recently (had always straight legged), est max @ 310ish (1st week of 5/3/1?s 5+ set was 15 reps of 215?calculations were off). More compound legs are now in my plan. Occasional middle back (rhomboid?) & neck stiffness/soreness from old car accidents. Kettlebells have been only thing that?ve helped.

Hypertrophy Specific Training ? found online, don?t have any personal background w/ it.

Re: Seekonk: agree with your experience. And agreed, I?m thin but muscular, 6-pack, ~7%BF, etc. Wife is proud @ pool in summer, just would like to add a few more pounds? (pic on my profile to give you a better idea of what I?m working with).

I read a lot (T-Nation, BB.com, ACE, etc) but frequently get contradictory information? Thanks again for all the help, its much appreciated!

[quote]seekonk wrote:
Better take some vitamin K2 (MK-7) with all that milk or your arteries are going to calcify. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Pic for this first part…

[quote]
But aren’t there more concentrated protein sources (Greek yoghurt), whey shakes, etc., without all that liquid? [/quote]

It’s not all about “concentrated protein sources”… Calories bro. Calories.

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
Eat big, go for reps. Without more details I couldn’t give any specialized advice. Being highly ectomorphic myself, I knew being big IS NO EASY FEAT! Those first few years were the hardest, consistency is the name of the game. Just enough vigorous training, plenty of good food, and adequate rest. You have to be a bit neurotic for this sport/hobby of ours. However, I won’t concede to the idea that my body type is a hindering me from being big that’ll simply won’t do. Train a like mad man…[/quote]
very good advice

Disagree again. I’m 6’3" and before training I looked more like a lanky 6’7" because of my body shape. Again, I think it’s harder to fill out such a wiry frame with lbm for these types.

And yeah low volume only compound exercise program’s not as good an idea as some people will have you believe

[/quote]
I don’t disagree with you actually. For me my height was definitely an obstacle when I didn’t have patience to stick with something, as I wasn’t getting those almost immediate results that a couple of my short friends got. A guy who used to post here is our height and lean at 255 lbs lol, so we definitely have to be patient in filling out our frames.

[quote]seekonk wrote:

But aren’t there more concentrated protein sources (Greek yoghurt), whey shakes, etc., without all that liquid? [/quote]
I am not sure if you are trolling or not… I honestly don’t. As for why the milk, it isn’t for being a good source of protein (it certainly adds up and has high quality protein) but the fact that it very nutrient dense and easy to consume.

[quote]seekonk wrote:

No, it is not BS. You misunderstand. We are talking about skinny LEAN people, not skinny fat, like you can see our abs and veins, who have difficulty gaining. [/quote]

?? I was an “ectomorph”. Not too many people would call me that now.

Savagenation just wrote the same…and no one would call him that now either.

Yes, for the most part, the average person even using these terms is using them WRONG.

They do NOT have full understanding of how the human body works and likely got what they think they know strictly off the internet.

Your body doesn’t give a shit about a label. If you have to eat more to gain weight, then fucking eat more.

As someone who is naturally lean and lanky, realize the only things you will deal with that is different is that you’re going to likely have to tweak exercises to hit your intended muscles (probably won’t just immediately get a chest pump from Bench Pressing), it’ll likely take longer for you to look ‘filled out’ (lanky limbs suck), and even though your metabolism may be a bit faster then most, you can still get fat. Eat in a moderate surplus, and train like a BB’er.

Also, if you don’t want to ‘force feed’, I’d just find foods that work for you. Getting in 400+ grams of carbs from oats and potatoes made me feel constantly full, I felt bloated, and lethargic. Now that I eat most my carbs from bananas, pineapples, white bread, etc, I get my calories in easy. Eat shit that’s going to allow you to be hungry enough later to get your food in. Not suggesting you pick those foods, but find what works for you. If you hate rice, don’t fucking force yourself to eat 2 lbs of it every day because you think it’s ‘clean’.

And just to put the somatype thing to rest, Jaime Lewis on his blog showed a study that basically tried to find what percentage of the population were ecto, endo, meso, mixes of the two… To find out the traits that are most prevalent are that of mesomorphs… so odds are you’re not genetically disadvantaged in any real way.

Yeah, the bodytype thing isn’t that its dictated, but maybe a factor. When I quit lifting for a while & consciously eating more than I naturally would, my weight drops. Its mild effort to keep weight up at all. I understand the nutrition & caloric surplus side, I’m just wondering if the workout program matters that much. I’m likely going w/ the 5/3/1 BBB plan. Thx again.

Also considering my assistance exercises to be picked to incorporated full body each time (obviously lighter than primary exercise). Web is contradictory on full body v. Split. Any specific background w this would also be appreciated.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph, IronDwarf… Doesn’t matter. Those are, generally, just used as fancy terms for the excuses people make. (The first three anyway lol ;)[/quote]

lol

I don’t think you ever answered what you eat. It really doesn’t matter for hypertrophy if you do upper/lower, full body, push, pull, legs, body part split or ect if you only get it 2000 calories a day when you need 4000+ just to gain mass. I prefer upper/lower, but it fits my goals at this moment and is easily adaptable to fit my needs.

Dssg, noted yesterdays diet in 825am post. No specific cal totals, but fairly typical day… Thx.