Ecto Dilemma

These days I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a wall! I weigh
about 150 pounds at 5’9". Skinny guy everyone would assume, but I tested my
bf% and it was pretty high…like 17-18%.
So I don’t know what direction to move…bulk up, but my bf% is currently too high On the other haniIf I try to lose weight that means becoming even thinner like 145pounds.So I stopped working out and now I am trying to take a step back and make some kind of plan.
Any help would be deeply appreciated and followed. Thank you very much.

I would say bulk. As you put on muscle your bodyfat will go down. You’ve likely become skinny-fat from dieting that has cut muscle as well as fat.

[quote]slam dunk wrote:
These days I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a wall! I weigh
about 150 pounds at 5’9". Skinny guy everyone would assume, but I tested my
bf% and it was pretty high…like 17-18%.
So I don’t know what direction to move…bulk up, but my bf% is currently too high On the other haniIf I try to lose weight that means becoming even thinner like 145pounds.So I stopped working out and now I am trying to take a step back and make some kind of plan.
Any help would be deeply appreciated and followed. Thank you very much.
[/quote]

Why are there so many guys like you all of a sudden? I don’t mean guys who are skinny, but guys who think that in spite of weighing less than the average male weighs who doesn’t even lift, they should “get lean” first. I just don’t understand that. Your body fat percentage is so high, in part, because you have no muscle on your frame at all to ramp up your metabolism. At 150lbs, 18% body fat puts you at about 123lbs of lean body mass. I just don’t understand why someone carrying the depressed amount of lean body mass that you are wouldn’t be in the gym saying, “fuck the body fat for right now, I have to at least get enough muscle size to pass for a grown man”.

You will have to excuse me, but it is a little unbelievable that you would stop training to form “a plan”. I mean, wasn’t that the plan? How old are you? I would ask what your goals are, but someone who would stop training for the reason you listed is bound to give either a Ricky Martin reference or an aside to the failed pop group O-Town. You don’t cut until you have enough muscle size to warrant it. The only time you go against that is if you are obese.

I am going to agree with the others though I know coaches like to reduce bodyfat and then add muscle, however, you do need to gain more muscle to begin. You’ll find that you will lose body fat by training hard and adding the muscle. Look at CT’s OVT and mutation series - he gained muscle and lost fat - but gained serious muscle training hard. Clean up the diet, get the proteins and train hard and you’ll see dramatic change. The good thing, is that you will see dramatic change coming from your situation - as Prof X stated, train hard and stick to the plan, don’t lose sight or stop at all. By the way, on here all the plans are awesome and will work for you, just stick with one that suites your schedule.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have a better understanding now of what I need to do.
Thanx guys…