Eccentrics for the Deadlift

I have had some good results for my bench recently using eccentrics 120 to 135 kg so a 15kg gain. I am hoping the same will happen for my deadlift. I plan on using 110% 210kg PB so I will lower 220kg-230g .

Do any of you have experience using eccentrics on the deadlift. I understand eccentric deadlift are a little more danagerous than on the bench and this does concern me a little.

Setup would be in a powerrack without the pins . Hopefully I can get someone to help me lift the weight back up. It is a chore constantly unloading and reloading.

Any feedback is valuable guys and appreciated.

Would you just load up a weight, grab it from the pins, and lower it once?

I would suggest doing stiff legs. Try them from a deficit for reps in the 3-8 range.

Have you tried heavy isometric holds? Power rack with two sets of pins is perfect.

I would be very, VERY careful with this idea. I prefer the idea of stiff legs from a deficit and/or iso holds.

Honestly, what I’d recommend is pulling the opposite of your regular style: so, if you pull conventional, do a bunch of sumo pulling and vice versa. Adding in sumo pulls helped my conventional a bunch. Generally you’ll find you’re significantly weaker in the opposite style, and improving on those weaknesses often seems to correlate with improvements in your ‘main’ style.

That said, eccentrics might work for the deadlift, I just can’t get my head around the idea of using a bench approach for DL or vice versa. Admittedly, that’s just my experience talking - I’ve found DL has to be trained differently to squat and bench, but bench can pretty much be trained like the squat up to a point.

How about just getting better at deadlifting? I didn’t do a single deadlift variation until I had already pulled mid 600s, and i got it there after about 2.5 years of lifting just by refining my deadlift technique. There isn’t always some secret technique and method discovered by a single mom to make your lifts blow up.

“Vince Anello also experimented with eccentric work, doing eccentric deadlifts with as much as 880. When he returned to conventional deadlifts, to his dismay his deadlift had decreased. Vince told me that anything will make your deadlift go up–except eccentrics. What does this mean? Are eccentrics a waste? Well, yes and no. Eccentric training alone is a waste.”

Louie Simmons, “Optimal Eccentrics.”

“When doing slow eccentrics with large loads, there is no reason to associate these advantages with the possibility of developing the ability to move quickly and powerfully in concentric work. Lowering weights slowly builds larger muscles for body building but will not assist concentric actions.”

“If it is true that an individual can lower 60% more than they can raise, then applying 100% of his eccentric strength, he could hold the bar at any position. However, he would destroy the stretch reflex with heavy weights.”

-“slow eccentrics have no place in powerlifting. To build larger muscles, yes. If you want to become very sore, yes. What does it matter if you can lower 60% more than you can raise? If I recall correctly, you must raise the bar from the floor.”

Louie Simmons, “Assisted Eccentrics”

Do deadlifts from the floor. Build your strength and skill. Don’t do stuff that will distort your technique.

Do rows, stiff legs or Romanian deadlifts from the top. Control the negatives. Build muscles that will increase your deadlift.

IMO, heavy eccentrics are meant to develop stability so that you maintain body position and tension for the given ROM that the lift is performed in. For deadlift, using pause deadlifts, touch and go, opposite style (whatever variation you suck at) would help develop stability if you get better at it. You sucked at heavy eccentrics for bench so getting better at it helped your comp lift. And of course this isn’t always true since there may be little carryover if the movement pattern and muscles aren’t being trained adequately compared to the competition lift.