Eccentric Portion of Lifts From Pins

CT: How fast are you dumping the weight back down the pins. I noticed on my ramping, more and more eccentric is used as the weight goes up obviously. I slow it down as the weight gets heavier. This is causing more CNS and muscle fatigue. Also I’m trying not to slam the bar on the pins as well…but not sure if it having a neg impact.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT: How fast are you dumping the weight back down the pins. I noticed on my ramping, more and more eccentric is used as the weight goes up obviously. I slow it down as the weight gets heavier. This is causing more CNS and muscle fatigue. Also I’m trying not to slam the bar on the pins as well…but not sure if it having a neg impact. [/quote]

I actually go by feel on this one. I control the weight down, but do not go slow on purpose. And as the weight gets heavier, I control it for about 1/2 of the way down then almost let it drop.

While in Colorado I started out controlling (even going slow) every eccentric rep because I didn’t want the noise to be a distraction for those working at HQ. When I got the okay to let it drop, my strength flew up for 2-3 sessions.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT: How fast are you dumping the weight back down the pins. I noticed on my ramping, more and more eccentric is used as the weight goes up obviously. I slow it down as the weight gets heavier. This is causing more CNS and muscle fatigue. Also I’m trying not to slam the bar on the pins as well…but not sure if it having a neg impact. [/quote]

I actually go by feel on this one. I control the weight down, but do not go slow on purpose. And as the weight gets heavier, I control it for about 1/2 of the way down then almost let it drop.

While in Colorado I started out controlling (even going slow) every eccentric rep because I didn’t want the noise to be a distraction for those working at HQ. When I got the okay to let it drop, my strength flew up for 2-3 sessions.[/quote]

Totally, its funny we have many of the same thoughts and feelings towards training. I say let it drop but I dont want to bend those bars! Or bug the other members!

I’ve thought of cutting up a yoga mat and using it to pad the supports at public gyms.

@CS: Great idea. I thought of wrapping with small towels. My most recent gym has a “CrossFit” cage inside our normal gym…and those freaky type A’s make some serious noise, so i’m not too concerned.

My gym has taken the rubber they use for the flooring & put those on the adjustable pins (think half rack that’s not enclosed so you can literally almost drop it quietly)…I’ll take a picture sometime to show you…the owner builds everything there…very nice though!

Heres what I will do…take some pipe insulation cut two pieces about a foot long each for each pin. Boom.