Eccentric-Less Training Without Sled

[quote]Ricochet wrote:

[quote]captaincalvert wrote:
I’ve been doing that for HIIT. It worked really well, but I don’t think there’s enough resistence to get the the eccentric less effect.[/quote]

Have you ever tried setting your treadmill incline angle higher? Much, much more resistanceâ?¦ it really does require more than a few explosive leg drives to get that damn treadmill to turn over… I rather run stairs with my wife on my back! I dread it. I know some treadmills will not let you do this… as they automatically sink back down to a level plan but fortunately many of the ones I use you can set the incline angle then turn it off and it remains at that height.

BTW: The article at Elite FTS I mentioned before is titled: “Treadmill Pushing: The Solution to the Prowler-less Gym” Goggle it…[/quote]

Not sure which treadmills you are using but at my gym I can push the treadmill belt with my little toe and move it easily - no resistance for me. That no workie…

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Ricochet wrote:

I’ve been doing that for HIIT. It worked really well, but I don’t think there’s enough resistence to get the the eccentric less effect.[/quote]

Have you ever tried setting your treadmill incline angle higher? Much, much more resistanceÃ?¢?Ã?¦ it really does require more than a few explosive leg drives to get that damn treadmill to turn over… I rather run stairs with my wife on my back! I dread it. I know some treadmills will not let you do this… as they automatically sink back down to a level plan but fortunately many of the ones I use you can set the incline angle then turn it off and it remains at that height.

BTW: The article at Elite FTS I mentioned before is titled: “Treadmill Pushing: The Solution to the Prowler-less Gym” Goggle it…[/quote]

Not sure which treadmills you are using but at my gym I can push the treadmill belt with my little toe and move it easily - no resistance for me. That no workie…[/quote]

God, that is too bad… I haven’t come across a treadmill yet that didn’t require considerable effort to start the belt moving manually… it really is quite an experience to feel 8 to 10 sets of 10-15 second sprints… actually, it totally sucks monkey balls!

[quote]Ricochet wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Ricochet wrote:

Have you ever tried setting your treadmill incline angle higher? Much, much more resistanceÃ??Ã?¢?Ã??Ã?¦ it really does require more than a few explosive leg drives to get that damn treadmill to turn over… I rather run stairs with my wife on my back! I dread it. I know some treadmills will not let you do this… as they automatically sink back down to a level plan but fortunately many of the ones I use you can set the incline angle then turn it off and it remains at that height.

Not sure which treadmills you are using but at my gym I can push the treadmill belt with my little toe and move it easily - no resistance for me. That no workie…[/quote]

God, that is too bad… I haven’t come across a treadmill yet that didn’t require considerable effort to start the belt moving manually… it really is quite an experience to feel 8 to 10 sets of 10-15 second sprints… actually, it totally sucks monkey balls![/quote]

ditto

Something that I have used in the past with many lifters is to go to a local hotel or other fairly tall building, and have lifters run up 3-4 flights of stairs, then take the elevator down. Dumbells can be held in the hands if needed.

Recently when I was stuck in Guatemala city with the airport shut down after a volcanic eruption, I used this quite a bit, there was no other training option.

how about doing standing only intervals on a stationary bike turned up to maximum resistance?

I tried both a spinning bike and one of those horrible contraptions with a computer. Both were way too easy.

[quote]NZ RABBIT wrote:
how about doing standing only intervals on a stationary bike turned up to maximum resistance?[/quote]

I mentioned this before… not really an option. First because you are limited in the movements you can do. Second because even with max resistance I don’t think that it’s enough and you can “cheat” by using your bodyweight to push the pedal down.

I said it a zillion time: THERE IS NO REAL SUBSTITUTE FOR A SLED… BUY ONE OR MAKE ONE.

Yeah, i guess it’s not that difficult to make something to use for eccentric-less training; for example a chain with some weights on…

Or if it’s going to be used for pushing; push your car slightly upphill.

CT, i’m making my own and it is not expensive.

i think it is better than the money a lot of people spent in garbage supplemnets with X-hardcore result 6pack abs magic traps wonderful pecs in a pill.

Just do your own sled, an old tire with anything that adds weight.

congrats

Yep, we can make our own sled, if you have a place to use it. I have a water base filled punching bag (and a “real” heavy one as well). With a chain I can add weight to it, or use my GF :slight_smile: I can also put the chain around it and attach it to a lifting belt so when I do the crouched backward walk with it I can use a lot less arm pull.

I used to push a car and it’s great, but it’s much harder to PULL. When warmer times will come along, think of all the football and strongman exercises. Many are eccentric-less.

For the gym, all the exercises you can do with one or two limbs, use two in the eccentric phase, and one in the concentric. You have to concentrate at first, but you can do it. I did it today with leg presses. I also did dips where I literally exploded on the way up and landed on the floor, and did it again.

BTW an amazing “side effect” of eccentric-less training: it feels EASY to stretch afterwards. The difference was humougous.

[quote]SwD wrote:
BTW an amazing “side effect” of eccentric-less training: it feels EASY to stretch afterwards. The difference was humougous.
[/quote]

Very interesting… never noticed that!

Thib, for someone that dont have the luxury of time to train 2x a day workout, does eccentric less workout have to be 4 hours after a main workout or can we do it right away after the main?

Depends on what muscle are you referring.

in my understanding, if you refer to lats/bis that are muscles that you want to put a lot of volume you do after the strength/machine/bar training, then you give volume with the sled/eccentric less training. The same applies to the legs.

But when you refer to muscles involved in the upper press movements, i understood CT gives 4 hours apart to give a rest to the body and the eccentric less workout was just to accelerate the recovery. Remember that the videos of Daryl they trained 3x per day.

cheers

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]SwD wrote:
[/quote]

Very interesting… never noticed that![/quote]

It’s one time observation so I don’t want to say I’m 100% sure but still… I did sled work, followed by a free fall “modified GHR” (feet immobilized, let myself fall flat on a soft surface, then pull up).

Afterwards, I stretched hips, adductors, hamstrings. Not only did I achieve slightly more range in the movements, there was a LOT less of that “about to tear” feeling at the top range. I’ll need to try it again to see if was a one time thing or a real pattern, but this could be a great thing, no doubt.

[quote]Sik wrote:
Depends on what muscle are you referring.

in my understanding, if you refer to lats/bis that are muscles that you want to put a lot of volume you do after the strength/machine/bar training, then you give volume with the sled/eccentric less training. The same applies to the legs.

But when you refer to muscles involved in the upper press movements, i understood CT gives 4 hours apart to give a rest to the body and the eccentric less workout was just to accelerate the recovery. Remember that the videos of Daryl they trained 3x per day.

cheers[/quote]

well im referring to upper body press movement. so it’s no good to do upper body eccentric right away? is 4 hours the minimum tim required or less than 4 is fine?

[quote]iron addict wrote:

well im referring to upper body press movement. so it’s no good to do upper body eccentric right away? is 4 hours the minimum tim required or less than 4 is fine?
[/quote]

It depends on what are your goals and the time you have to spend in the gym.

CT has a new videos where is possible to understand more things.

But if you want to use eccentric less work for upper body to put more volume, IMO is not needed. If your following the last plan from CT you have already a lot of volume for upper body.

Remember the size of your muscles: the size of chest/shoulders are not the same as the lats/back or the legs.

cheers

Standing boxing bag base + a TRX = a prowler. The handles are a bit short - ok for lower body movements (did pushes, backward walking and Frankenstein walks today), but I might have to improve the design a bit for the upper body stuff.

Let’s try uploading the photo again…

And the plates go here.

Bip Good idea your sled.

I was trying to have a good grip bands, as i’m using like a normal rope…

Where do you buy your bands? In england? I live in europe too.

cheers