Eccentric Benching?

Seriously though, I like to do lightened, reverse eccentrics for multiple reps.

Tom63 i was disagreeing with him entirely so no i don’t think he could lower a ton. So your saying eccentric benching is pretty much worthless?

[quote]tom63 wrote:
samson77 wrote:
Hey everyone! I just started eccentric benching routine for the first time and i was wondering what you guys thought or how it helped you? I also wanted to know how much more can you lower than what your 1RM is? because i put down 385x2 and i am wondering how much my 1RM is. Thanks!

Why don’t you try to see what your max is to find out?

[/quote]

Well i got the idea from one of Christian Thibaudeau books and from what he says your suppose to do it for 4 weeks eccentric benching once a week. so if i can’t really but a ME day in with this program because i already am pushing my CNS quite a bit.

Hanely, how would you do dynamic eccentric benching?

[quote]samson77 wrote:
Hanely, how would you do dynamic eccentric benching? [/quote]

Get the spotter to lift the bar out to you and just let go. Should help improve your rate of force absorption.

I’ve seen a guy do that. He’s on the American football team. Definitely improves his rate of force absorption.

I have used them and seen noticeable improvements with the strength on the lower portion of my bench, especially right off the chest. The problem is it seems to be very hard on my shoulders and chest…and not in a good way. I stay away from them right now but they have really helped me in the past.

The longer you can hold it on your chest after the dynamic eccentric the better, it’ll help with not only your rate of force absorption, but also your rate of force resistance.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
The longer you can hold it on your chest after the dynamic eccentric the better, it’ll help with not only your rate of force absorption, but also your rate of force resistance.[/quote]

I don’t know, man. These are some pretty advanced methods.

What I have seen done in the past is utilizing side spotters have the weight lifted out of the rack, get set, and have them release. The more weight the better and it will probably feel like you are not resisting but that’s OK. You’re training your CNS and resisting for too long of a time will just fatigue it. When the weight hits your chest, obviously you are not going to be able to push it up but it is imperative you tell your spotters not to pull it off yor for at least a 5 count.

Another cool side effect is it will bring up your core and p-chain like nothing else.

Actually that sounds like a pretty cool isometric training method apw. Instead of just waiting for the weight to be lifted off, really try hard to push it back up. I suppose you run the risk of CNS fatigue that way tho. Especially if you utilise bands.

Would this work with squats too? Seems like a really good way to make sure you’re hitting depth.

Only if you do them to a box.

EDIT: Actually do them to a high box. That’ll eliminate your depth sticking point by teaching you to crash thru it deep into the hole.

So apwsearch are you saying to do Eccentric and then hold for a 5 second isometric?

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
I have used them and seen noticeable improvements with the strength on the lower portion of my bench, especially right off the chest. The problem is it seems to be very hard on my shoulders and chest…and not in a good way. I stay away from them right now but they have really helped me in the past.[/quote]

That is exactly what i was hoping to hear. My bottom sucks and that is what i really need to get up.

hanely, apwsearch and vbm537 how long and often did you guys train with it? did you do any bench in between?

[quote]samson77 wrote:

That is exactly what i was hoping to hear. My bottom sucks and that is what i really need to get up. [/quote]

You should probably concentrate on squats instead so.

[quote]samson77 wrote:
hanely, apwsearch and vbm537 how long and often did you guys train with it? did you do any bench in between?[/quote]

Once or twice a week. No more than twice a week, and even that is pushing it for me. After 3-4 weeks I noticed a big difference and then went away from them (did this a few time through out a year). But yeah…very hard on my shoulders. I think for the most part I stuck to once a week…it’s been a while.

Thanks hanely. Are you still doing the sheiko program?

maybe abit off topic, but has anyone has any success with yielding or overcoming iso’s?

Yielding ISOs raised my pullup max by 15 pounds in about a month. Haven’t used them a lot for other stuff, but I plan to try them out on squats in a few weeks.

By the way, I don’t bother doing them in 3 positions like most people recommend. Just do it at the sticking point.