EC Prime Time: 9/26 and 9/29

Thanks.

… and God bless Jason Elam.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
The same as everyone else, when you consider that their lives are identical to everyone else’s in a broad sense (i.e. sitting in front of computers, etc.). Anteriorly tilted/elevated scapulae can be an issue, too, although snatches do a lot to counteract this.

Generally speaking, O-lifters have a much better grasp on training balance than any other athletic population.

Ross Hunt wrote:
What postural deficiencies and strength imbalances does an olympic weightlifter have to watch out for, generally speaking?

[/quote]

Saw it a while back; pretty damn impressive.

It’s been a while, though, so I don’t recall it right off the top of my head. The link isn’t working, unfortunately.

[quote]sully’s wrote:
EC,

Did you happen to see the John Benor 5@720 squat?

Any critiques on his form?

http://168.144.38.254/720x5.wmv

I was very impressed but thought they were about 1 inch high but it could just be the viewing angle.

Sully.
[/quote]

EC

I have always been pigeon toed a bit (my feet point outward when I walk). It has never really effected me other making look a little odd walking. Recently it has started effected my stance on the offensive line. My feet want to point out in my stance and my knees want to open up like im squatting. Any time I try and close things up my hips and knees feel pretty tight. Is this happening because there is an area that needs stretched or loosened up? Do you have any reccomendations on what I can do to help this problem.

Thanks

Hey Eric,

Without making you go too far into detail, could you give me some suggestions as to what qualities and lifts to work on as a cyclist training for 50 mile races.

That wouldn’t be pigeontoed, but I’m catching what you’re throwing.

I suspect it’s related to tightness of your hip flexors and calves. Try this:

1. Loaded passive stretching of the calves with the knees extended and slightly flexed 3x/week for 15 seconds.

2. Broomstick overhead squats - as deep as possible - 3x5 daily.

3. Bulgarian Split squat Isometric hold - 2x/week (lower body training days).

4. DB dorsiflexions - 3x20 twice per week

5. Supine bridges - 2x20 twice daily

Shoot me an email in a few weeks and let me know how it goes.

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
EC

I have always been pigeon toed a bit (my feet point outward when I walk). It has never really effected me other making look a little odd walking. Recently it has started effected my stance on the offensive line. My feet want to point out in my stance and my knees want to open up like im squatting. Any time I try and close things up my hips and knees feel pretty tight. Is this happening because there is an area that needs stretched or loosened up? Do you have any reccomendations on what I can do to help this problem.

Thanks[/quote]

All cyclists are going to need a ton of posterior chain and scapular retraction work.

I tend to think outside the box when it comes to endurance athlete resistance training (just ask TriGWU); it’s going to be largely dependent on how proficient you are with the SSC and how strong you are. You can’t have strength-endurance without strength!

[quote]Jagrazor wrote:
Hey Eric,

Without making you go too far into detail, could you give me some suggestions as to what qualities and lifts to work on as a cyclist training for 50 mile races.[/quote]

I’ve seen you write and heard you say, (in double tap I believe) that in order to help an imbalance, that you should do more of a certain lift than an other. (like a lot more rows than bench presses for example) I agree. But you’ve suggested somin’ like 8 X 3 for bench and 8 X 8 for rows. Obvoiously this is a ton more total reps 4 the rows. But you wouldn’t you wanna keep both lifts in the same rep range? Maybe somin’ like 8 X 3 for the rows and 4 X 3 for the presses? Or do you think the 8 X 8 example would be just as, or more beneficial even know you are working different strength qualities?

Thanks,

Danny

I’ve seen you write and heard you say, (in double tap I believe) that in order to help an imbalance, that you should do more of a certain lift than an other. (like a lot more rows than bench presses for example) I agree. But you’ve suggested somin’ like 8 X 3 for bench and 8 X 8 for rows. Obvoiously this is a ton more total reps 4 the rows. But you wouldn’t you wanna keep both lifts in the same rep range? Maybe somin’ like 8 X 3 for the rows and 4 X 3 for the presses? Or do you think the 8 X 8 example would be just as, or more beneficial even know you are working different strength qualities?

Thanks,

Danny

From what I understand, you only train those whose # 1 goal is to improve performance on the field and in the weight room, (i.e. athletes/power lifters). But what if you were training an individual whose #1 goal was to look better, (i.e. bodybuilder). Would you still use upper/lower splits and total body workouts, or would you shift your design a little more towards “body part” training. (i.e. chest/sh/tric one day, legs the next day, etc) AND, would you still use conjugate periodization?

Thanks again,

Danny

I forgot to mention that people should also be cheering against the Yankees tonight. Then again, you should be rooting against them all the time.

Field goal Elam!

I actually answered this question in a previous PT thread. Basically, that’s just one means of making the change. You can also easily add extra sets at a given rep range.

Indirectly, you’re still training the same strength qualities to some extent. If you’re training chronically inhibited movements with higher volume, you’re giving the body a chance to groove those movement patterns. Coordination in itself will enhance maximal strength (so it’s basically the muscular vs. neural contribution to force production that is the difference).

Also, remember that rep ranges are somewhat of a gray area. The 8x3 and 8x8 are about the biggest difference I’d go; mostly, I’m looking in the neighborhood of 8x3 with 8x5.

[quote]Dboy wrote:

Thanks,

Danny[/quote]

[quote]Dboy wrote:
From what I understand, you only train those whose # 1 goal is to improve performance on the field and in the weight room, (i.e. athletes/power lifters). [/quote]

Nope. I’ve got a wide variety of clients. I “fix” a lot of people and help out those who are just looking to gain size.

[quote]But what if you were training an individual whose #1 goal was to look better, (i.e. bodybuilder). Would you still use upper/lower splits and total body workouts, or would you shift your design a little more towards “body part” training. (i.e. chest/sh/tric one day, legs the next day, etc) AND, would you still use conjugate periodization?
[/quote]

I still use conjugate periodization with them along with upper/lower splits. Bodypart training is rubbish.

thanks alot for your advice eric i really appreciated it. Is there any literature, books or articles that you could recommended which might better help me understand appropiate periodization, especially how to organize in the ways that you do. Thanks again i really appreciate your insights.

My system is largely a product of experimentation and borrowing what I like from a variety of methodologies, so you won’t really find it in one specific place.

Shoot me an email and I’ll send you some good reading.

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
thanks alot for your advice eric i really appreciated it. Is there any literature, books or articles that you could recommended which might better help me understand appropiate periodization, especially how to organize in the ways that you do. Thanks again i really appreciate your insights.[/quote]

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
All cyclists are going to need a ton of posterior chain and scapular retraction work.

I tend to think outside the box when it comes to endurance athlete resistance training (just ask TriGWU); it’s going to be largely dependent on how proficient you are with the SSC and how strong you are. You can’t have strength-endurance without strength!
[/quote]

Scapular retraction = rowing right? What else?
WHat is SSC? I am not that strong.

Right now I decided I was too light - I used to weigh 150lbs at 6’1" right now im up to 166lbs (both weights with ~ 12% bodyfat) Not 100% how heavy i should get, im thinking getting up to 180-190 then cutting back to 170 (decreasing body fat %) I came up with that by looking at how tall Lance is 5’9.5" ish and 165lbs at racing weight - then realizing im 3 inches taller, and will probably want to carry a little more weight.

Of course this isn’t a great way to figure it out, but I figured it is a start.

[quote]Jagrazor wrote:
Scapular retraction = rowing right? What else?[/quote]

Correct. Face pulls, deadlifts where you pull the shoulder blades back in an exaggerated fashion, trap raises, and a few other exercises do the job as well.

Stretch-shortening cycle. Basically, it refers to how well you use store energy in your tendons to make muscle actions more efficient and effortless.

SSC = plyometrics?

Can you give me some examples of SSC, or better yet, refer me a resource to learn all I can about them? :slight_smile:

The SSC is involved in pretty much every activity you do in your everyday life. Plyometrics (better termed shock training) are just one of the best ways to improve your efficiency in this regard.

Give it a google search and you’ll find a ton of stuff.

[quote]Jagrazor wrote:
SSC = plyometrics?[/quote]

any particularly good moves for a cyclist? Any particularly good sources?

btw try google “Shock training” it comes up with mostly stuff about training pets…

I guess google likes Plyometrics better :confused: