T Nation

EC Prime Time: 9/26 and 9/29

I’ll be on tonight and Thursday, so please post your questions here.

Also, please say a little prayer for Broncos kicker Jason Elam; he’ll determine my fantasy football fate tonight. :slight_smile:

i will definitely keep elam in my prayers, i just recently starting praying this weekend after almost watching my cowboys lose to the niners especially after that monday night disaster last week. Well i am sure the ridicule would come out of the wood work now that i mentioned i am a cowboys fan so everyone feel free to let me have it. its like being a yankees fan your either hate them or love them, hate for me in the case of the yankees. the final series in boston is going to be better then the world series.

after all that i do have a question
i put together a 3 day total body routine using your methods, Waterbury’s and Christians. i was hoping you could give me some critiquing

week one high volume
day 1 6x3 6rm strength day
front squat
rdl
dips/decline close grip
seated row

day 3 4x6 functional hypertrophy
lunge
back extension
chin up
overhead db press

day 5 3x12 tital hypetrophy
pull throughs
chest supported db rows
low incline db press

i would then include some biceps/triceps, abs/abs, and rear delt/rotator cuff supersets using 3x8 parameters on each on the days. i would choice one of those supersets and perform it on each of the days.

week two would decrease one set from each exercise

then week three day one would be 6 sets of 4, day three would be 5 sets of 6, and day 5 4 sets of 12.

finally week three would be an uload week where volume would be about half of the highest volume week, week 3

my calories for the above cycle would be mainteance or maybe about 10% lower and i would be using a carb rotation diet much like what Chrisitan has suggested, so that i can shed some weight while maybe maintaining or gaining some muscle

using your formulas i kept my weekly volume at about 6000 for the highest week and working off that number used about 85% high 70% medium 50% low. my purpose for this cycle was to use it as an accumulation block but it is a total body schedule because of a crazy work and school schedule. i will still be doing your cardio routine two day a week but i am now doing 20 mintues of treadmill along with the other stuff intstead of 15

well what do you think? thumbs up thumbs down? the next four week cyle will focus on strength and power or an intensification block. i really havent come to a conclusion on how to set that up. if using a total body routine should one day be a strength day, one day be for power and then mabye the last day or middle day be a functional hypertrophy day using reps in the 6 range?

i quess i should first ask if consider there to be such a thing as functional hypertrophy and total hypertophy. i took the training zones from thibs locked and loaded article? Thanks again for all your help and i hope to be on later so that i might hit you up for some more questions, i never run out

so your in danbury correct? What facaulty do you work out of, or do you just get clients independently

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
i put together a 3 day total body routine using your methods, Waterbury’s and Christians. i was hoping you could give me some critiquing

week one high volume
day 1 6x3 6rm strength day
front squat
rdl
dips/decline close grip
seated row

day 3 4x6 functional hypertrophy
lunge
back extension
chin up
overhead db press

day 5 3x12 tital hypetrophy
pull throughs
chest supported db rows
low incline db press

i would then include some biceps/triceps, abs/abs, and rear delt/rotator cuff supersets using 3x8 parameters on each on the days. i would choice one of those supersets and perform it on each of the days.

week two would decrease one set from each exercise

then week three day one would be 6 sets of 4, day three would be 5 sets of 6, and day 5 4 sets of 12.

finally week three would be an uload week where volume would be about half of the highest volume week, week 3

my calories for the above cycle would be mainteance or maybe about 10% lower and i would be using a carb rotation diet much like what Chrisitan has suggested, so that i can shed some weight while maybe maintaining or gaining some muscle

using your formulas i kept my weekly volume at about 6000 for the highest week and working off that number used about 85% high 70% medium 50% low. my purpose for this cycle was to use it as an accumulation block but it is a total body schedule because of a crazy work and school schedule. i will still be doing your cardio routine two day a week but i am now doing 20 mintues of treadmill along with the other stuff intstead of 15

well what do you think? [/quote]

Overall, it looks pretty good. You forgot to tell me what your goals are, though. :slight_smile: I will say that I’m not a huge fan of the undulating approach, especially in more experienced lifters. To each their own, though. Give it a run and see how it goes.

[quote]
the next four week cyle will focus on strength and power or an intensification block. i really havent come to a conclusion on how to set that up. if using a total body routine should one day be a strength day, one day be for power and then mabye the last day or middle day be a functional hypertrophy day using reps in the 6 range?[/quote]

Like I said, I don’t like undulating approaches. Our bodies are smarter than they assume; who is to say that you can’t train more than one quality in a single session?

Anyone who really understands muscle physiology will tell you that the line between the two isn’t as clear-cut as many seem to think. All hypertrophy will be functional to some extent. I’d be more concerned with the specific motor qualities you’re looking to maintain/improve and the relative contributions of each in different phases of your programming.

Live in Danbury, work in Ridgefield. Lift in Stratford (South Side).

I’m still coaching a bit up at UCONN, and I keep several online clients in addition to my in-person clients.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
so your in danbury correct? What facaulty do you work out of, or do you just get clients independently[/quote]

When squatting deep, I keep pulling a muscle on the inside of my right leg. After consulting an anatomy chart, I believe the muscle is the adductor magnus - or at least in that area. The pull is not too bad but it prevents me from squatting past parallel. I have spent the last 3 weeks doing lunges, pistols, step-ups and 1-leg rdls in the hopes of dealing with any imbalances that may be present. As well, I have been experimenting with some of your glute activation stuff and going through the old hockey “groin” stretches.

Is it possible that this may be an abductor problem and my approach is all wrong?? I am no anatomy guru and am using terminolgoy that I have picked up from this site so you may have to dumb your answer down a bit:)

Given the location of the pain, it wouldn’t be the abductors. The problem with squatting past parallel would be indicative of adductor magnus issues, as it’s a hip extensor. Could be a medial hamstring issue as well.

I would just stay the course but possibly lay off stretching temporarily, especially if it’s painful. If you’ve got a pull, stretching can irritate it pretty easily.

[quote]CHF wrote:
When squatting deep, I keep pulling a muscle on the inside of my right leg. After consulting an anatomy chart, I believe the muscle is the adductor magnus - or at least in that area. The pull is not too bad but it prevents me from squatting past parallel. I have spent the last 3 weeks doing lunges, pistols, step-ups and 1-leg rdls in the hopes of dealing with any imbalances that may be present. As well, I have been experimenting with some of your glute activation stuff and going through the old hockey “groin” stretches.

Is it possible that this may be an abductor problem and my approach is all wrong?? I am no anatomy guru and am using terminolgoy that I have picked up from this site so you may have to dumb your answer down a bit:)[/quote]

4 weeks ago i was injured playing football. had an mri and the doctor siad i had a tear in my ITB (iliotibial band).

He said i might be able to play again in 4 weeks, but after my appiontment today he said that it is not healed and i should wait another 2 weeks.
He said that it takes soft tissue to 6 weeks to heal, and becuse i still have pain in my knee that its not yet healed.

This all sound right? Also i am wondering if doing things like squats, deadlifts, and lunges would be bad for me.

WL

Listen to him; he’s the one examining you in person with specific diagnostic measures.

Everything should be symptom-limited. Two rules of rehab:

  1. Be as aggressive as possible.
  2. Do no harm.

The glutes and TFL both act on the IT band, so be very careful with hip extension and abduction movements.

[quote]WhiteLable412 wrote:
4 weeks ago i was injured playing football. had an mri and the doctor siad i had a tear in my ITB (iliotibial band).

He said i might be able to play again in 4 weeks, but after my appiontment today he said that it is not healed and i should wait another 2 weeks.
He said that it takes soft tissue to 6 weeks to heal, and becuse i still have pain in my knee that its not yet healed.

This all sound right? Also i am wondering if doing things like squats, deadlifts, and lunges would be bad for me.

WL[/quote]

Coach Cressey,

I have heard it said that in addition to giving attention to the balance between pushing and pulling muscle groups (e.g., upper body pressing and upper body pulling), it is also important to work pressing and pulling in different planes, the horizontal as well as the vertical. For example, one should not always subsist only on military presseses and chin-ups; one should also, at least from time to time, do bench presses or planches and seated rows or levers.

First of all: Is all of this true?

If it is, where do dips and full range dips on gymnastics rings fall in the scheme of pressing movements? They are certainly a vertical pressing movement, but the force is directed down rather than overhead, and the movement certainly feels very different.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Coach Cressey,

I have heard it said that in addition to giving attention to the balance between pushing and pulling muscle groups (e.g., upper body pressing and upper body pulling), it is also important to work pressing and pulling in different planes, the horizontal as well as the vertical. For example, one should not always subsist only on military presseses and chin-ups; one should also, at least from time to time, do bench presses or planches and seated rows or levers.

First of all: Is all of this true?[/quote]

Definitely. I balance vertical pushing with vertical pulling and horizontal pushing with horizontal pulling. These are broad and imperfect schemes, though; I prefer to relate everything to the movement of the scapulae.

They’re vertical pressing.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Listen to him; he’s the one examining you in person with specific diagnostic measures.

Everything should be symptom-limited. Two rules of rehab:

  1. Be as aggressive as possible.
  2. Do no harm.

The glutes and TFL both act on the IT band, so be very careful with hip extension and abduction movements.

WhiteLable412 wrote:
4 weeks ago i was injured playing football. had an mri and the doctor siad i had a tear in my ITB (iliotibial band).

He said i might be able to play again in 4 weeks, but after my appiontment today he said that it is not healed and i should wait another 2 weeks.
He said that it takes soft tissue to 6 weeks to heal, and becuse i still have pain in my knee that its not yet healed.

This all sound right? Also i am wondering if doing things like squats, deadlifts, and lunges would be bad for me.

WL

[/quote]

Could you please define hip extension and abduction movements.

Thanks

I can tell that you really didnt like my program, at least you where honest with me which i appreciate. With the program that i laid out i was hoping to lose fat, while gaining or at least maintaining muscle mass. I truthfully would prefer training multiple rep ranges within one session i just dont really know how to do such a thing. Is there anyway you might be able to give me some sort of an example or maybe some tips to point me in the right direction.

I would like to keep the goal the same, although after the four weeks i would like to work on some power training(using regular compound movements with a 60% max for sets of 3) I would also like to maintain or gain strength. I can understand how to break up such an idea into four split routines put what about when using three total body routines. Again any help would be much appreciated

How’s it going Eric? This is Kevin the baseball pitcher you worked with for a bit. I’m having an MRI done on my elbow in a couple of days to see why its been hurting when I throw. Haven’t worked out much lately cause I’ve been taking care of my mom, she’s having another heart surgery next week. Just wanted to give you an update and I look forward to working with you again when I get everything situated. Take care!

Hip Extension: Increasing the angle at the meeting between the femur (upper leg) and the pelvis. Think deadlift, good morning, squat, reverse hyper, pull-through, etc.

Hip Abduction: Moving the thigh away from the midline of the body. Think side-steps and those silly machines that look like they’re only for pregnant women.

If you need some pictures as examples (not pregnant women…exercises!), just shoot me an email at ericcressey@hotmail.com.

[quote]WhiteLable412 wrote:
Could you please define hip extension and abduction movements.
[/quote]

Thank you.

Another question:

What postural deficiencies and strength imbalances does an olympic weightlifter have to watch out for, generally speaking?

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Ross Hunt wrote:
Coach Cressey,

I have heard it said that in addition to giving attention to the balance between pushing and pulling muscle groups (e.g., upper body pressing and upper body pulling), it is also important to work pressing and pulling in different planes, the horizontal as well as the vertical. For example, one should not always subsist only on military presseses and chin-ups; one should also, at least from time to time, do bench presses or planches and seated rows or levers.

First of all: Is all of this true?

Definitely. I balance vertical pushing with vertical pulling and horizontal pushing with horizontal pulling. These are broad and imperfect schemes, though; I prefer to relate everything to the movement of the scapulae.

If it is, where do dips and full range dips on gymnastics rings fall in the scheme of pressing movements? They are certainly a vertical pressing movement, but the force is directed down rather than overhead, and the movement certainly feels very different.

They’re vertical pressing.[/quote]

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
I can tell that you really didnt like my program, at least you where honest with me which i appreciate. [quote]

Don’t be so hard on yourself; like I said, I thought it was good for the most part. You put some thought into it, which is more than you can say for most people.

Truthfully, evaluating a program when someone posts it is the single-most difficult thing I have to do on this forum. There are so many variables that must be considered that it makes it almost impossible to really give a comprehensive review.

[quote]With the program that i laid out i was hoping to lose fat, while gaining or at least maintaining muscle mass. I truthfully would prefer training multiple rep ranges within one session i just dont really know how to do such a thing. Is there anyway you might be able to give me some sort of an example or maybe some tips to point me in the right direction.

I would like to keep the goal the same, although after the four weeks i would like to work on some power training(using regular compound movements with a 60% max for sets of 3) I would also like to maintain or gain strength. I can understand how to break up such an idea into four split routines put what about when using three total body routines. Again any help would be much appreciated[/quote]

Okay, so you’re looking to build some mass. You do this through two means (speaking broadly): sarcomeric and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. So, you need heavy loading and rep work/hypoxia. You can easily maintain strength in the process by killing two birds with one stone and lifting heavy. As for power, plug in speed work twice a week either prior to maximal loading or right after it.

So, maybe you go:

M: Speed work, max effort loading, supplemental rep work

W: Pure rep work (less CNS intensive) in the 6-10 rep range

F: Maximal loading emphasis, extra speed work (possibly complex training), rep work

Your strength and weaknesses dictate where you’ll plug in certain exercises.

Hey Kevin,

Glad to hear from you; I’ll keep your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Shoot me an email when you hear back on the MRI; it’d be good to touch base and see where we need to go from here.

[quote]Eazymoney wrote:
How’s it going Eric? This is Kevin the baseball pitcher you worked with for a bit. I’m having an MRI done on my elbow in a couple of days to see why its been hurting when I throw. Haven’t worked out much lately cause I’ve been taking care of my mom, she’s having another heart surgery next week. Just wanted to give you an update and I look forward to working with you again when I get everything situated. Take care![/quote]

The same as everyone else, when you consider that their lives are identical to everyone else’s in a broad sense (i.e. sitting in front of computers, etc.). Anteriorly tilted/elevated scapulae can be an issue, too, although snatches do a lot to counteract this.

Generally speaking, O-lifters have a much better grasp on training balance than any other athletic population.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
What postural deficiencies and strength imbalances does an olympic weightlifter have to watch out for, generally speaking?
[/quote]

EC,

Did you happen to see the John Benor 5@720 squat?

Any critiques on his form?

http://168.144.38.254/720x5.wmv

I was very impressed but thought they were about 1 inch high but it could just be the viewing angle.

Sully.