Ebomb's 5/3/1 Log

Lookin strong as hell bro. Keep up the lifting man, 5/3/1 rocks!

Close Grip Bench Press
Didnâ??t do because of pectoral strain.

Top-Half Shoulder Press
135 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 5
210 x 3

Seated Lateral Raise
30 x 5
35 x 5
37.5 x 5
40 x 5

E-Z Bar Curl (Very strict)/Band Wrist Roller
115 x 5/55 x 3
115 x 5/55 x 3
115 x 5/55 x 3
115 x 5/55 x 3

I have been having some pretty bad pain in my left pectoral whenever I push horizontally. I made an executive decision to not do any horizontal pressing for the next 2 weeks or so and see if my pain gets any better. Other than that, today was awesome. I hit a 10 pound PR from the past week on the top-half seated overhead press, and a 2.5 pound PR on the lateral raise. Front Squats tomorrow.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Lookin strong as hell bro. Keep up the lifting man, 5/3/1 rocks![/quote]

Thanks bro. Just trying to hit reps every week. I love 5/3/1 so far. Off topic question, your Avatar is Ammonia Caps and I just ordered a box. I was wondering what your thoughts on their effectiveness was?

Front Squat (5/3/1)
135 x 5
175 x 3
210 x 1
240 x 3
255 x 3
270 x 11 ********* (HUGE) (Last week 255 x 10!!)

Bottoms Up Pin Squats (1/4 Squat Depth)
135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
355 x 3
375 x 3
405 x 3

Hamstring Curl
125 x 3
137.5 x 3 (9 sets)

Absolutely amazing day! One of the best leg days I have had to date. The 270 x 11 was 1 more than last weeks 255 x 10. Had never done pin squats before, but I loved them. 405 x 3 wasnâ??t terribly hard, but I didnâ??t want to murder myself with 25-50 more pounds. Overall, I was ecstatic after the 270 x 11 set and am shocked to see how much my front squat has improved in less than a month. A month ago, I could barely get 275 x 5.

Barbell Standing Rollout/Plank
5/30 seconds
3 sets

Standing Cable Crunch/Standing Twist Cable Crunch
8 x 8/6 LR
10 x 8/6 LR
10 x 8/6 LR

Pallof Press
8 x 10 LR
9 x 10 LR
10 x 10 LR

Played tennis for an hour.

Dunked a football.

Good core day with some added activity.

Push-Press (5/3/1)
95 x 5
135 x 3
175 x 1
185 x 5
210 x 3
235 x 6 ********* (Huge PR)

Z-Press
115 x 5
135 x 5
140 x 5
145 x 3

Lat-Pulldown PD/Machine Curl
10 x 10/150 x 5
10 x 10/150 x 5
10 x 10/150 x 5
10 x 10/150 x 4

Awesome day. Hit 6 reps at 235 whereas last week I hit 6 reps at 220!!! I am gaining strength on my lifts in a huge way weekly. Before the program, I could barely hit 235 for 2-3 reps, and three weeks into it I am already doing it for 6. Absolutely amazing. Deadlift day tomorrow. Look for another huge PR.

Dude your a f*cking work-horse! Keep it up man I’ll be following and learning as much as I can from you and your log.

How is your nutrition plan focused to your workout plans? I know your goals are to improve on the lifts you listed but are you trying to maintain weight or gain a few lbs…?

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
Dude your a f*cking work-horse! Keep it up man I’ll be following and learning as much as I can from you and your log.

How is your nutrition plan focused to your workout plans? I know your goals are to improve on the lifts you listed but are you trying to maintain weight or gain a few lbs…? [/quote]

Thank you!
As for nutrition, I eat usually 3-5 meals a day and try and consume in those between 200-300 grams of protein and 400-600 grams of carbs on workout days. Fat I don’t really count in. I eat relatively clean, but I am at school right now and it if it is a hard workout day, might indulge in something (ie. Taco Bell) lol. But for the most part I eat lots of rice, chicken, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, and protein powder.

At school, I don’t like to over do it and be really anal about what I eat. At home, I usually am a little stricter, but also have more room to eat what I want when I want to. I go by the mirror and if I appear to be gaining fat, cut down calories. If I am looking good, I’ll keep eating. My main goal is strength. I eat usually what I want if I want to eat it at that time. In other words, I probably eat clean 80 % of the time and eat shit 20 % of the time. I am taking advantage of my age haha.

Man, your training so damn hard you might as well buckle down and really get your nutrition aspect of the game nailed down, but I understand being at school makes it tougher. Keep it up, I like your work ethic. How old are you?

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
Man, your training so damn hard you might as well buckle down and really get your nutrition aspect of the game nailed down, but I understand being at school makes it tougher. Keep it up, I like your work ethic. How old are you?[/quote]

Haha, ya I agree totally. That post may have come off the wrong way. I have my nutrition pretty buckled down in that I get enough protein, carbs, etc for growth. I will probably have a cheat meal twice a week. That might make it clearer. But it is tough being at school and without any real kitchen to cook. I am 19 years old (Sophomore in college). I am trying to decide which strength sport I want to get into at this time.

Deadlift (5/3/1)
135 x 2
225 x 5
265 x 3
315 x 1
405 x 5
450 x 3
505 x 6 ********* (HUGE PR)

45 Degrees Back Raise
45 x 50 total reps over 4 sets

Absolutely awesome day. Another huge PR. Previous best was 500 x 5 with STRAPS. 505 x 6 with just chalk, NOT EVEN A BELT. I sniffed my ammonia and was so amped that I forgot to put on my belt hah. Cut the rest of the work short today because I just felt that this was enough. I will add some back accessory work in on Thursday instead. Again, another awesome day and chalk it all up to 5/3/1.

awesome log, a lot of ideas, i will be 20 in november and i really look up to you
q: how long do you train?

Really nice work bro. I am doing the 5/3/1 myself and its going really well (I’m on deload week/first cycle). I am basically doing a modified WS4SB using the 5/3/1 percentages & rep/set scheme on the first main effort exercise.

I’ll definitely be following your log

9.29.09 PM:

Machine Rows/1-Leg Dumbbell RDL
150 x 15/30 x 12 LR
200 x 15/32.5 x 10 LR
230 x 10/40 x 10 LR
230 x 10/45 x 10 LR

Cobra Lat-Pulldown
6 x 15 LR
8 x 10 LR
10 x 10 LR
12 x 10 LR

Didnâ??t get all the upper back work in that I wanted to this morning because I just was wasted after deadlifting. I came back for round 2 which took about 20 min. I may start to incorporate more 2-a-day Back days because I feel that my back work would be best if broken up over the course of a day instead of just all at once. Stay tuned for that change.

[quote]totti13 wrote:
awesome log, a lot of ideas, i will be 20 in november and i really look up to you
q: how long do you train?[/quote]

Thanks for the support bro. I’m glad you like the ideas. I like most of us who are U-25 are always experimenting to see what works!

Currently, I am training for no longer than 45 minutes a clip. My workouts are short and intense. This also allows me to get in the gym 5-6 days a week to do conditioning also.

[quote]Asoss wrote:
Really nice work bro. I am doing the 5/3/1 myself and its going really well (I’m on deload week/first cycle). I am basically doing a modified WS4SB using the 5/3/1 percentages & rep/set scheme on the first main effort exercise.

I’ll definitely be following your log[/quote]

Thanks man.
WS4SB is an awesome template and I can’t say enough about its effectiveness. I really like that you’re incorporating 5/3/1 into it. That’s a great idea. How has your progress been on 5/3/1?

Its actually working pretty good. I get to concentrate on the main effort lifts + the fact that I get that little extra volume. I’m not as strong as I would like to be. It feels like I have a lot of brute raw force but its just something with the main effort lifts that make me chronically weak.

The set-up is pretty simple and is pretty much the same as some of the templates in the 5/3/1 book. I know it’s not 5/3/1 if you’re not doing it exactly the way its written in the book. But I feel that the WS4SB does in deed address my weaknesses. Here’s my current set-up. I might switch things up on my second cycle, but the concept won’t change much at all:

WS4SB/ Wendler 5/3/1 Combo

Upper Body
A. Bench Press 5/3/1
B. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 5x10
C1. Kroc Rows 4x8-12
C2. Face Pulls 4x8-12
D. Barbell Shrugs 4x8-15
E. Barbell Curl 3x15-20

Lower Body
A. Deadlift 5/3/1
B. Short/Long/Reverse Step Lunges 2-3x8-10
C. Good Morning 3x8-12
D. DB Side Bends/Ab Rolls/Leg Raises 2-3x10-20

Upper Body
A. Military Press 5/3/1
B1. Chins 5x2-8
B2. Rear Delt Flyes 4x8-12
C. Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4x8-12
D. Dumbbell Shrugs/BB triceps extensions 3x8-15
E. Wrist Roller 3x8-15

Lower Body
A. Squat 5/3/1
B. Bulgarian Split Squats 3x6-12
C. Glute-ham Raises 3x8-12
D. Wood Chops/Pallof Press/Sit-ups 3x10

I’d kill for some feedback if you have any…

Ya man, that looks good. Volume looks sort of high, but that would be if I were to do it. If you can handle that, then by all means, go for it. The volume of back work on both upper body days would destroy me before or after deadlift day. Other than that, it looks good and I’m sure you’re killing it!

[quote]Asoss wrote:
Its actually working pretty good. I get to concentrate on the main effort lifts + the fact that I get that little extra volume. I’m not as strong as I would like to be. It feels like I have a lot of brute raw force but its just something with the main effort lifts that make me chronically weak.

The set-up is pretty simple and is pretty much the same as some of the templates in the 5/3/1 book. I know it’s not 5/3/1 if you’re not doing it exactly the way its written in the book. But I feel that the WS4SB does in deed address my weaknesses. Here’s my current set-up. I might switch things up on my second cycle, but the concept won’t change much at all:

WS4SB/ Wendler 5/3/1 Combo

Upper Body
A. Bench Press 5/3/1
B. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 5x10
C1. Kroc Rows 4x8-12
C2. Face Pulls 4x8-12
D. Barbell Shrugs 4x8-15
E. Barbell Curl 3x15-20

Lower Body
A. Deadlift 5/3/1
B. Short/Long/Reverse Step Lunges 2-3x8-10
C. Good Morning 3x8-12
D. DB Side Bends/Ab Rolls/Leg Raises 2-3x10-20

Upper Body
A. Military Press 5/3/1
B1. Chins 5x2-8
B2. Rear Delt Flyes 4x8-12
C. Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4x8-12
D. Dumbbell Shrugs/BB triceps extensions 3x8-15
E. Wrist Roller 3x8-15

Lower Body
A. Squat 5/3/1
B. Bulgarian Split Squats 3x6-12
C. Glute-ham Raises 3x8-12
D. Wood Chops/Pallof Press/Sit-ups 3x10

I’d kill for some feedback if you have any…[/quote]

It looks pretty good to me man. The volume on both upper body days looks kinda high, but besides that this looks like a damn good template that i’m sure you’re killing! “I know it’s not 5/3/1 if you’re not doing what’s exactly written in the book.” I feel that 5/3/1 is a max effort lifting template that can be tailored to many goals. Everyones 5/3/1 setup is different. Mine certainly is. Your setup looks awesome man, just work hard and it will all fall into place.

Yeah I know it looks like a lot of volume but I’ve been doing Rippetoes and some full body programs for a while now. I thought a little change of pace might do me some good. My goal is to become as strong as possible, the little extra volume works as cardio because I’ve been supersetting most of my accessory stuff and reducing rest periods. I am in and out of the gym in an hour.

I’ll be following your log and taking in as much information as possible. Best of luck with your training.