T Nation

Ebay

Hey everyone, I know some of you have bought stuff on ebay. I’m wondering if you have ever seen anything like this. I placed a bid on this pair of skates w/ about 20 minutes to go, no one else had bid yet. Starting price $149 I put a max bid of $200. Then out of nowhere this guy puts a higher bid on it. I ended up outbidding him w/ a $230 max bid, got them for $227. But the other bidder has been a member since june 25th 2004, and has never bought or sold anything that whole time. Both the seller and the other bidder live in Canada as well.

Does anyone else think this is sort of fishy or is it just me? I emailed ebay to see if they’ll look into it for me, but what do you all think about this?

Looks like shit**smells like shit…

I have been registered on ebay for about 3 yrs and I think I have only bought one thing that whole time so it could be just that or it could be someone jacking the price up on you for the seller.

more then likely the seller has an alternate account on which he could up the bid, you should ask ebay to investigate.

[quote]hoosierdaddy wrote:
more then likely the seller has an alternate account on which he could up the bid, you should ask ebay to investigate.[/quote]

thats exactly what happened.

jaystyles

Thanks guys thats exactly what I was thinking as well. As soon as the auction ended and I noticed this I sent an email to ebay, hopefully they’ll respond quickly. I really want these fricken skates though.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I disagree, I think he took a gamble and he won. You’re right, he had no idea what my max bid was until after about 5 other bids, then he found what it was and upped it. It makes sense to me. They would have gone for $150 if he had not done this, but now they went for 227. If he had won them himself, he'd only be out a couple bucks, but if it worked then look he gets 70+ more than he would have.

No it definitely smells like shit to me…

They might have been cronies or at least in cahoots with each other. Bid history should proove whether or not the guy had bid on it prior to you placing a bid.

It could very well be a scam. If he has an alternate account and he ends up being the highest bidder, all he would have to pay is the Ebay fee for the sale, which shouldn’t amount to more than $10. I believe its 5% of sale price. Most likely it was a drive up of the price. Happens all the time.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
How could this be a set up? The other guy has absolutely no idea of your maximum bid so he is playing with fire by false bidding. He could easily end up putting the highest bid on himself, then he would have to buy it!

I buy stuff from ebay all the time. I don’t think it is possible for people to scam in this way, though there ARE other ways to scam.

bushboy[/quote]

If its the same dude or a friend though then all they have to do is pretend exchange and then re-auction the item later. Its not some random person just out to mess with people.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
How could this be a set up? The other guy has absolutely no idea of your maximum bid so he is playing with fire by false bidding. He could easily end up putting the highest bid on himself, then he would have to buy it!

I buy stuff from ebay all the time. I don’t think it is possible for people to scam in this way, though there ARE other ways to scam.

bushboy[/quote]

Don’t forget that if he’d won them himself he could’ve just turned around and offered them to the second place bidder, declaring the winner defaulted.

I buy and sell on ebay…and you can do interesting stuff.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Hmmmm. Well I guess you could be right, but the number of times I’ve ended up paying LESS than my maximum, would lead me to believe otherwise. Or I could just be naive - LOL.

bushboy[/quote]

They don’t know what your maximum is, so they couldn’t get your maximum every time.

As for the original poster, that’s not a whole lot of evidence. I can’t see how it would be possible to prove that they were doing this together unless they have a history of doing this. The most Ebay could prolly do would be to call off the sale.

Did you notice if they were in the same city or province? That might help in your inquiry, but thinking because they’re both from Canada they must be in cahoots with each other is like assuming 2 people anywhere in the US know each other.

my 2 cents

this kind of thing goes on a lot. however, you placed your max bid, and therefore, you suffer the consequences.

be aware that if people do this they will tend to go to the next highest bidder, and give them a second chance offer.

in this instance, you may be correct, just in future, pay what you want to pay and no more. this will avoid such issues.

there will always be something on offer some time or another,

See, I really want these fricken skates so I will pay what I bid, or else I wouldn’t have bid it. It just seems fishy to me and I don’t like that, but there really isn’t much I can do about it.

[quote]miniross wrote:
this kind of thing goes on a lot. however, you placed your max bid, and therefore, you suffer the consequences.

be aware that if people do this they will tend to go to the next highest bidder, and give them a second chance offer.

in this instance, you may be correct, just in future, pay what you want to pay and no more. this will avoid such issues.

there will always be something on offer some time or another,[/quote]

drink much, mate?

[quote]jadamwolfpack wrote:
Did you notice if they were in the same city or province? That might help in your inquiry, but thinking because they’re both from Canada they must be in cahoots with each other is like assuming 2 people anywhere in the US know each other.

my 2 cents[/quote]

It just seems too coincidental for them to both be from Canada. The seller is in Auburn, Nova Scotia. But it doesn’t show the city if you just look at someone’s ID profile just their country. Obviously I can’t see what city he’s in because he’s never bought or sold anything, but the ebay people can.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
miniross wrote:
this kind of thing goes on a lot. however, you placed your max bid, and therefore, you suffer the consequences.

be aware that if people do this they will tend to go to the next highest bidder, and give them a second chance offer.

in this instance, you may be correct, just in future, pay what you want to pay and no more. this will avoid such issues.

there will always be something on offer some time or another,

drink much, mate?[/quote]

Just a few belated st Paddys day guiness’

Bit windy today as a result. batten down the hatches.