Eating While 'Going Out'

So it’s been a long time since I have been training regularly… Probably about 3 years. I won’t really get into why and just accept that I suck for allowing myself to put myself in that position, but I’m going to bounce back from it. For now I’m just trying to get my body composition back to some respectable numbers and ramp myself back up on current training knowledge.

As part of this “coming back,” I realize how important a clean diet is (especially since I consider my body slight unforgiving for diet “snafu’s”) and plan on incorporating that into my life, mostly with JB’s precision nutrition as my foundation.

Now I’ve read several posts about substitutes to minimize poor choices, like the recent KFC post, but what if that isn’t available? What if you go to a place that you know you’ll be away from any sort of respectable form of food for over 5 or 6 hours? Situations like this would be like going to a club, bar, or even just some random social gathering? Let’s even say that you aren’t drinking(to keep the spirit of the discussion one of adaptation instead of what you should/shouldn’t do when you’re dieting); you’re just the DD.

Some options that I have thought of will work, but I’m curious as to what other people do. There is a mix that I think Chris Shugart talked about of dates/nuts and whatnot that made a healthy protein/fat snack. You could also bring a few protein bars to bridge the gap until you get somewhere with actual food. Jerky gets a little tiring to eat, but is yet another option.

Does anyone else have anything more innovative?

Depends on your goals, but for someone like yourself who’s concerned about maintaining a clean diet the best ideas are ones you already have.

Nuts and protein bars.

If you were bulking I’d say just hit a fast food joint, it’s better than not eating.

I am the weird guy that brings a plastic fork and a plastic bag full of food wherever I go. In fact, I am going to Hooters to meet with some friends in a couple of minutes. I am eating veggies right now, will down a can of tuna when I go in, and munch on the cold chopped up chicken breast that I bought throughout the night.

You can find some cleanish food.

Keep the carbs low and the protien high.

Chicken wings, ribs, steak, fried chicken.

Its protien and fats, its not very clean but its not going to break the bank.

Excellent suggestions so far guys. Do you guys ever just not eat for 5 to 6 hours at a time and pound a protein shake immediately upon returning to your car? I was thinking about keeping a little reserve of protein in the car with some bottled water just in case the need ever arises. I guess the protein might get stale and the water could be hot depending on the circumstances, but it might be a good option, too, huh?

I eat out regularly so here are some suggestions:

-Prepare food ahead of hand. If you’re out for a few days, bring protein bars and mixed nuts. Calculate how much you’ll need
-If you’re going to eat out, error on the side of high protein, low carbs (salad, chicken breast sandwich -throw out the bun, etc)

Whenever I’m caught off guard and need a meal, I just use prof X’s “no pure crap” mantra and just make sure I get a decent amount of protein, and minimize carbs.

Whenever I stop on road trips, I usually stop at a boston market… Easy chicken breast and veg on the go.

I can’t think of any restaurant that doesn’t serve SOME form of chicken breast or steak? Am I being naive? Also I never had a problem with getting places to substitute veggies instead of fries or rice or whatever.

If you tell the waiter/waitress what you want and you’re a nice person it should not be a problem. It is bad form to ask for something not on the menu, but if you start with a menu item you can most often change the peripherals, and even the preparation, depending on the level of service, and end up with a decent meal.

Usually the waitstaff is shocked that I want veggies instead of rice, but once they get over it, I usually then get a double serving. I think I got an entire head of broccoli at a bar last month. :slight_smile:

If you frequent the same place and tip well you can get quite a bit.

I keep a cooler/backpack on me at all times with food for the day.

My friends and family have been accepting it in the last year. I bring food to 95% of family gatherings; x mas eve is the one i don’t. I leave the bar or where ever we are for 5-10min to toss back some chicken, nuts, shake and whatnot. I’m actually not the only one of my friends who does this…so it’s good have a ‘role model’.

But if I’m “caught off guard”…there is always ways to get good food. You’ll have to pay extra…but it’s all about what is important to you.

Firwst choice is to always have food with you, but I know it’s difficult to avoid ever getting stuck at a restaurant with your buddies. In such situtaions, I will usually opt for one of the following.

1- Get two burgers on one bun (or none if you’re cutting). Ask to substitute steamed brocoli for the fries.

2- Chefs Salads - My rationale is that you get a decent amount of protein from the cold cuts (dont lecture me on the sulfites!), filler from all the lettuce, and I’ll usually even splurge with blue cheese, thinking that even though it’s high in fat, I’m not really eating many carbs in the overall meal.

S

Awesome… I’ll have to check out this cooler thing B Rock. Do most of you cook a bunch of food at the beginning/mid week and put them in tupperware/pyrex for convenience?

I cook everything at night, everynight. It’s easy once you get into the routine. I just heat up my grill, grill my chicken and veggies, put some nuts into a bag, and I’m good to go. When I wake up I cook oatmeal, then go to this store outside my apartment where I buy 6-8 boiled eggs. Rice is easy to find throughout the day no matter where I go. (i live in china.)

Whenever I’m likely to be in a situation where I can’t control the available food (I don’t like to turn away free food), I make sure to carry some l-leucine and a digestive enzyme capsule.

I usual take leucine 3 times a day, but the digestive enzyme for really large meals or “bad” meals.

[quote]kcushijima wrote:
Whenever I’m likely to be in a situation where I can’t control the available food (I don’t like to turn away free food), I make sure to carry some l-leucine and a digestive enzyme capsule.

I usual take leucine 3 times a day, but the digestive enzyme for really large meals or “bad” meals.[/quote]

Haha…

I have the same problem with free food. In my office it seems every week is someone’s birthday so I always end up getting passed a peice of cake and what not. What I’ve gotten used to doing tho is just telling them I’m going to save it for later, then throwing it out. I think its better than refusing the cake or trying to explain things to them.

Guys, a few Leucine Caps and a digestive enzyme ain’ gonna do anything.

When I had only been training a few years, I thought I doing everything right, and when at the local Mall food court with my brother, would get my Ranch 1 Chicken sandwhich thinking about how it must have a ‘good amount’ of protein. Then we saw some dude who at the time, appeared huge to us (in hindsight, maybe he was a whopping 200 lbs, but a lean 200 lbs). He sat down near us, but instead of getting some crap form the eateries in the food court, pulled out a few chicken breasts from a cooler, and a potato. Bottom line,… that’s why he looked the way he did. NOwadays, the good I choose to eat, and choose not to eat, are the reason I look the way I do (and friends and coworkers do not).

Arguing about how it’s better than being rude and refusing the cake,… well, that’s just silly. It’s rude for other people to expect you to eat their crap and discard your own goals. I guarentee the guys on this site with the respectable physiques don’t make those types of rationalizations.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Guys, a few Leucine Caps and a digestive enzyme ain’ gonna do anything.

When I had only been training a few years, I thought I doing everything right, and when at the local Mall food court with my brother, would get my Ranch 1 Chicken sandwhich thinking about how it must have a ‘good amount’ of protein. Then we saw some dude who at the time, appeared huge to us (in hindsight, maybe he was a whopping 200 lbs, but a lean 200 lbs). He sat down near us, but instead of getting some crap form the eateries in the food court, pulled out a few chicken breasts from a cooler, and a potato. Bottom line,… that’s why he looked the way he did. NOwadays, the good I choose to eat, and choose not to eat, are the reason I look the way I do (and friends and coworkers do not).

Arguing about how it’s better than being rude and refusing the cake,… well, that’s just silly. It’s rude for other people to expect you to eat their crap and discard your own goals. I guarentee the guys on this site with the respectable physiques don’t make those types of rationalizations.

S
[/quote]

Very well said Stu, I’m glad we have people like you on here to show what hard work (both in the gym and in the world) can produce.

With the holidays coming up there has been a massive influx of people bringing in cookies/candies and shit like that; and leave it right next to the mircowave…and i never eat it.

Today at work; there is a lunch presentation, and they always spring for lunch from Panera or some pizza joint. I’ll be sitting up there with two tupperwares: one with pasta and one with chicken. I just keep my mouth shut and eat my goddam food. I’m the one crushing my PR’s and keeping a pretty good-looking physique. And it still amazes me when someone the same height and weight as me asks me “how much do you weigh?” and I tell them “about 200lbs” which is the same amount they weigh…but they are fat.

i win.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S
[/quote]

I don’t eat the cake. I never eat empty foods and I don’t like sweets anyways. One day it was this girls birthday at work and she brought in a cake and gave everyone a slice, I was on my way out and had already packed up but I held it in my hand and told her I was going to ‘save it for after dinner’, funny I was walking to the bus stop looking for a place to chuck it but no dice, so I was standing there waiting for the bus with this peice of cake in my hand, and guess who drives by waving. lol I held up the slice and nodded to her.

Just pick leaner meats and you should be fine.

I always take food with me places. I sneek food into the movie theater, I always take chicken in a ziplock bag.