Eating Whey Powder

Hello every one. I have in the last week or so become slightly addicted to eating whey potein powder(not really addicted but, its so good lol) I searched through the search thing on here and couldnt find anything but is this bad or what or is it ok or what.

I do this when really pressed for time, or for whatever reasons. Hasn’t affected me negatively, but I don’t do it often.

Yeah, its cool if thats your thing. Some people put the powder in their mouth and chase it down with water. As long as it gets in your body, it’ll work.

ok cool thank you one of the coaches here said it was a compplete waste of protein and it doesnt work if you do it that way

I don’t see why not. As long as the protein enter your digestive tract they will be broken down into peptides in the stomach, then brush boarder enzymes in the small intestine will cut them down even further into amino’s which will allow for absorbtion. I don’t see how mixing it with water will change anything (unless you’re choking on the powder because its too dry).

You actually enjoy chewing up protein powder by itself? I guess if you can stand it more power to you

I dont know he said something about it but he is a idiot but I wanted to make sure.

Martyh- Yeah espeacially strawberry its really good I love it lol.

Yeah, eating it vs. drinking it won’t make any difference.

But . . . really? Good for y’all, but I’m not going to be a part of this tea party.

I’d imagine that drinking some water afterwords would make it easier on the stomach. Once I took some bcaa tabs w/o enough water, and I ended up burping up a cloud of bitter powder. I thought I was dying.

this very well could be coming straight from my ass, but i don’t thing the stomach can produce enough digestive enzymes to properly handle such a dry food.

any thoughts from more experienced users on the stomach’s ability to handle dry food?

To my knowledge, water does nothing to help HCl activate pepsinogen to pepsin (pepsin breaks down the protein into peptides). Protein in the stomach causes the secretion of these enzymes, not water.

I started doing this and was also told that it was a waste of powder. I don’t mind the taste and it dosen’t fill me up as much as a shake so feel like i can get more protein down. I do chase it with water or something though I think you would probably sufficate from the dryness if you didn’t.

[quote]elusive wrote:
To my knowledge, water does nothing to help HCl activate pepsinogen to pepsin (pepsin breaks down the protein into peptides). Protein in the stomach causes the secretion of these enzymes, not water.[/quote]

thanks, wasn’t sure if water would be required to distribute enzymes to all of the contents of the stomach. sounds like not.

edit: i still don’t think i’ll ever eat dry protein powder lol. i get thirsty just thinking about it.

I’m sure water has a small effect on making absorption a little smoother. Probably not too significant, but if you eat dry powder a few times a day versus solubilized powder, perhaps over a long time the difference could become relevant.

Maybe could also technically run the risk of an over-acidified stomach if you eat too much dry powder without any water added to it?

Yeah I usually drink a bottle of water while I am eating it but I eat it like its a snack just all threw out the day I am addicted lol.