Eating Vegetables - Help!

I know it is important to eat fruits and vegetables. Fruit is no problem. Vegetables are another matter.

I only really LIKE a few green vegetables–broccoli, lettuce and spinach.

Can I get by just eating these three or should I just force down other ones, at least until Biotest comes out with their greens product?

How much lettuce do I have to eat daily to meet my daily requirements? If I ate a head of lettuce a day, would that do it? Is red, green leaf or Boston lettuce better than the other?

Thanks for help in this area. I honestly didn’t eat many vegetables growing up so this is kinda new to me.

[quote]1BADMF wrote:
I know it is important to eat fruits and vegetables. Fruit is no problem. Vegetables are another matter.

Can I get by just eating these three or should I just force down other ones, at least until Biotest comes out with their greens product?

How much lettuce do I have to eat daily to meet my daily requirements? If I ate a head of lettuce a day, would that do it? Is red, green leaf or Boston lettuce better than the other?

Thanks for help in this area. I honestly didn’t eat many vegetables growing up so this is kinda new to me.[/quote]

Biotest will be offering some help in just a few days.

In the meantime, TRY to eat some variety (shoot for other colors of vegetable–red, yellow) and don’t rely so much, if possible, on lettuce. It’s a relative nutritional lightweight.

1BADMF, lettuce isn’t really cutting the mustard so to speak in regard to the nutrients you want from vegetables. My recommendation would be to get a mixed bag of frozen vegetables and add a half cup to your blended protein shakes with mixed berries as well a couple of times a day.

The berries or other fruit masks the taste of the vegetables and it’s a great way to ensure getting a few additional servings in per day if you don’t like eating them. That and adding the new Biotest Superfood in one of these shakes should be good coverage if you don’t like eating them at all.

D

Try some asparagus. It tastes good but it makes your pee smell.

[quote]TC wrote:

Biotest will be offering some help in just a few days.

In the meantime, TRY to eat some variety (shoot for other colors of vegetable–red, yellow) and don’t rely so much, if possible, on lettuce. It’s a relative nutritional lightweight.

[/quote]

This is good news, TC.

I’ll work on the color/vegetable angle, too. That’s easy for me to remember.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
1BADMF, lettuce isn’t really cutting the mustard so to speak in regard to the nutrients you want from vegetables. My recommendation would be to get a mixed bag of frozen vegetables and add a half cup to your blended protein shakes with mixed berries as well a couple of times a day.

The berries or other fruit masks the taste of the vegetables and it’s a great way to ensure getting a few additional servings in per day if you don’t like eating them. That and adding the new Biotest Superfood in one of these shakes should be good coverage if you don’t like eating them at all.

D[/quote]

This is good advice…will do! Thanks.

you might try frozen green beans as well. they are quick and easy to steam and i have come to like them.

As Chris Shugart once sais, “If people can learn to like chewing tobacco, you can learn to like vegetables.”

Don’t limit yourself to just raw veggies. Roast them, grill them, steam them, boil them, sautee them. Make sure you season them, a little balsamic vinegrette does wonders. Some people like Mrs. Dash (just watch out for the sodium). Keep trying different things until you find what you like.

Hey 1BADMF, if you’re really “One Bad MoFo” you’ll just suck it up and put those vegetables in their place. Your stomach!

Variety is key: “Eat the Rainbow”

Another suggestion: Make soup. With a hearty stock and some seasonings you can dump a ton of different vegetables in the pot and it’s all good.

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:
Try some asparagus. It tastes good but it makes your pee smell.

[/quote]

No, no, no. That is a selling point not a qualifier.

It tastes good and it makes your pee smell.

Using the “rainbow” theory for eating vegetables, is eating three different color peppers + broccoli, carrots–okay?

I had this for lunch and it was great:

Stir fry buffalo meat with 3 different color peppers, onions + side salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing.

Dinner:

fish with steamed rice, broccoli and carrots.

I can force down any food, believe me, I was in the USMC for six years. But I want to learn to make vegetables and part of my regular eating plan and enjoy them.

Thanks for the input.

[quote]1BADMF wrote:
Using the “rainbow” theory for eating vegetables, is eating three different color peppers + broccoli, carrots–okay?

I had this for lunch and it was great:

Stir fry buffalo meat with 3 different color peppers, onions + side salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing.

Dinner:

fish with steamed rice, broccoli and carrots.

I can force down any food, believe me, I was in the USMC for six years. But I want to learn to make vegetables and part of my regular eating plan and enjoy them.

Thanks for the input.[/quote]
Looks good. If you eat eggs for breakfast, try throwing some onion, peppers and spinach/baby spinach in with them. Some tomato slices or grape/cherry tomatoes on top is good too. And what are your snacks? Celery w/ peanut or almond butter is a good one, and tuna stuffed into a pepper is one of my favorites. You could also move the carrots to a snack since theyre more portable, and have some other veggie at dinner.

I also love asparagus…I saw this baby shirt that said “asparagus makes my pee smell awsome.” Im buying it when that day comes.

Also when you cook with vegetables, whether you grill or sautéed them or what not, adding a variety helps to bring out flavors and sometimes mask the flavors of some vegetables you aren’t particularly fond of. That way you get flavor and since you aren’t fond of vegetables, you get your big helping of vegetables in one go.

[quote]1BADMF wrote:

[/quote]

I have to question the philosophy of someone who seeks an alternative to something they don’t LIKE.

Do you get to the gym and decide to do high volume light-weight training because it is what you LIKE doing?

Do you decide to cycle on the stationary bike for 30 minutes rather than performing explosive speed intervals because it is what you LIKE doing?

Sure there’s probably an alternative to the greens you don’t like which is almost as viable. Of course you could always just “harden the fuck up” and eat your greens–and who knows–maybe this mental fortitude will start trickling into other areas of your life.

[quote]Legionnaire wrote:
Sure there’s probably an alternative to the greens you don’t like which is almost as viable. Of course you could always just “harden the fuck up” and eat your greens–and who knows–maybe this mental fortitude will start trickling into other areas of your life. [/quote]

Haha…ok, thanks tough guy

[quote]1BADMF wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:
Sure there’s probably an alternative to the greens you don’t like which is almost as viable. Of course you could always just “harden the fuck up” and eat your greens–and who knows–maybe this mental fortitude will start trickling into other areas of your life.

Haha…ok, thanks tough guy

[/quote]

1BADMF are you ready? Legionnaire are you ready? Let’s get it on!

For your fruit and veggies problem, check out the new Biotest Superfood!! I can’t wait till mine gets here.