T Nation

Eating Too Much?

Hi all, I’ve just starting a bulking phase and am trying to focus on my nutrition. I currently weigh about 150 lbs and from searching on the net will set out to eat around 3600-3800 calories a day. Equal parts Protein and Carbs and about 10% Fat.
Problem is that so far I feel completely stuffed from the meal before.

That, plus trying to drink a gallon of water a day seems like this will be an impossible feat. Up until now, I’ve only been eating between 2000-2500 cals so this will be quite a different scene for me.

Is this something that you get used to after a few days or do any of you have any recommendations as to how you’ve dealt with this?

Thanks

When I started I was 137, 30 years old and eating in the ball park of 900-1,200 calories a day (no joke.) A year later, I eat in the 3k ball park and have put on 21 lbs. Of course I am only 158 now, but for me, yes it did get easier. At first it was the hardest thing I had ever done. Every meal had me feeling like I was going to throw up. (yes I did throw up more than once.) I was on the toilet constantly, I was bloated and it hurt even. But it got better. I think my body was just so messed up from eating so poorly and so little for so long, that when I started doing things right, it rebeled hard core.

I still hate eating (I fell off the wagon so to speak twice over the year as losing my abs was damn scary at first, I “felt” like I was getting fat and it would chase me off) I have to look at it as a means to an end in order to get thru eating, but the actual act of eating and digesting and eating again has gotten alot easier.

A huge help for me was discovering the shake. I make a shake every morning consisting of 2 scoops of the new Biotest Grow! Whey (I used the Metabolic Drive before) a cup of berries of some sort, a cup of oats and water, makes 32 ounces and I can drink it down with little problems. I will often have another of these later in the day and at night have another with a cup of yogurt instead of the oats. These 2-3 shakes a day help me get thru my meals and make having to eat my other meals alot more tolerable.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps.

You don’t say how many meals per day you’re currently eating, but I suggest seven or eight meals per day. This way they are smaller. Also, wake up during the night and quickly eat a small meal like cottage cheese or a Metabolic Drive shake with BCAA’s.

Using higher density foods like natural peanut butter will also help make the serving sizes smaller.

[quote]
Equal parts Protein and Carbs and about 10% Fat. [/quote]

Why??? Why the low fats IMO thats not good for bulking, health, hormone profiles, and well your shorting yourself on an easy way to add k/cals. fat grams have 9 k/cals as opposed to 4 of P & C.

I suggest you read up here and elsewhere on the importants of fats in your diet.

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:

Equal parts Protein and Carbs and about 10% Fat.

Why??? Why the low fats IMO thats not good for bulking, health, hormone profiles, and well your shorting yourself on an easy way to add k/cals. fat grams have 9 k/cals as opposed to 4 of P & C.

I suggest you read up here and elsewhere on the importants of fats in your diet.

Hope that helps,
Phill[/quote]

You are right

The others are right with the fats. It will have two benefits. Firstly the benefits that are associated with higher fat diets that Phill has recommended you read about. Further, fat has over twice the calories per gram of protein and carbs so increasing your fat content is going to increase your cals.

+1 for more fat…It helps your GH levels to be higher and helps build muscle.

Anyway, to answer your question…yeah it’s definately very hard in the beginning. After a while, you’ll be downing 4500 calories a day like it’s nothing.

But you gotta think stuff like cheeseburgers, ham, peperoni, salami, milk, cottage cheese, eggs and so on…not stuff like turkey and tuna, etc…once you log your calories for a good week or so, to make sure you’re on the right track, you’re pretty much set…and like I said, it definately gets easier as the time goes on.

just going to yet again chime in with the fats.

I would also recommend slowly ramping up cals, about 300-400 cals/week until you reach 3500, remember to check weights week to week and adjust cals accordingly. go for 2lbs/week gain.

It used to be the same way for me and I thought everyone else was crazy. Now if I don’t eat for two hours I’m pretty damn hungry. I ate 1 1/2 hours ago and my stomach is starting to growl. I’m beginning to wonder if I have a tapeworm or something.

Thanks for the reply, everybody. I’ll take your recommendations and revise my diet.