Eating Too Much Food

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
no such thing as eating too much when you’re trying to put on muscle.

Practice eating more and more and it’ll become second nature, I’m starving every 2 hours I don’t eat.

Bullshit. You can DEFINITELY eat too much when trying to gain muscle. The breakfast outlined in the original post (upwards of 1500 calories it looked like) will pack on muscle…and a huge chunk of fat. That much food could be spaced over 2 or 3 meals for most people.

4 eggs, some oatmeal and some milk comes to 1500cals? What the fuck are you smoking?[/quote]

He is very close as this breakfast contains at least 1300 calories.

Lessons for beginners: 1. You need to eat a lot to grow, probably much more than you thought you would and much more than you are used to. 2. You can get fat no matter how hard you are lifting = 3. Bump your calories up a good deal and evaluate gains. Don’t go crazy and double your calories all at once. If you are putting on good muscle, you’ve found the right spot for you. If you’re lagging, continue to add calories. If you’re gaining excessive fat, you’ve already exceeded what you should for growth and you should scale back. [Note: losing sight of your abs does not entail excessive fat gains]. You have a lifetime to put on muscle. You don’t have to go from 0 to 60 with food intake in one giant leap.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

The only advice I have given is that eating as much as possible all of the time will lead to fat gains… Which I think was validated by my pictures.

[/quote]

I am going to ask you one more time why you think this applies to all human beings at all times.

Lonnie123 wrote:

The only advice I have given is that eating as much as possible all of the time will lead to fat gains… Which I think was validated by my pictures.

I am going to ask you one more time why you think this applies to all human beings at all times.[/quote]

And I’ll tell you one more time that I don’t think it does. As I said before, everyone on this thread gave the poster some advice, a few of them even said “I eat this way” or "This is what I eat : "

Why don’t you ask them the same question? They are telling people what THEY do, which sounds an awful lot like what I did, yet I’ve had to explain myself over and over again.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
TrainerinDC wrote:
Lonnie123, we seem to get into this same battle on every single thread. Your opinions are the reason that you are 5’10 and 170, not 230.

This is what I looked like after about 11 months of eating this way. The picture on the left is me at about 155 or so at 5’10", the picture on the right is me at about 210. See… I DO know how to put on weight!

The reason I discourage new people from eating THAT MUCH food is because your body doesn’t put on muscle according to your food intake over maintenece. If you can only gain .5 pounds of lean mass per weak(A standard rule of thumb), why would eat to gain 2 pounds per week of weight? Your body doesn’t suddenly produce 2 pounds of lean mass. It produces the same .5 pounds of lean mass and stores the other 1.5 and fat.

I used to think that eating everything in sight was the way to go… and then I got fat. I was lifting 4 to 5 days a week and I got fat, not built, because of the amount of food I ate (My food choices were pretty good I would say). If you weigh 250 lean like Professor X I would say you were stupid if DIDNT eat 1,000 calories for breakfast (and nearly every other meal), but most of us dont.

To the OP, my breakfast is 1500 calories, then about two hours later I take in a 1000 calorie 90 gram of protein shake. 2 hours later lunch, which today was a 20 oz steak, baked potato and salad, 2 hours later another 1000 calorie shake, and then dinner which is 2 chicken breasts and skim milk.

You can do it, you will just have to work yourself up to becoming an eating monster.

You weigh 210 at 6% body fat… you are NOT normal when it comes to what someone should eat. You carry around MUCH more lean body mass than the average lifter and therefore you diet advice should be scaled accordingly. If someone has 30 pounds less muscle than you, YOUR breakfast will hardly be necessary for them, muchless the 1,000 calorie shakes you drink every few hours.

The original poster is 180 at 15% BF.

You = 195 LBM
Him = 153 LBM

You have 40 pounds of LBM on this guy, and you recommend he follow the same diet plan? Did you eat the same diet 40 pounds ago?[/quote]

Funny, I’m 5’10" 143pounds and my breakfast is like 1300 cals. and I’m having a hard time gaining shit.

I agree your training intensity must have been shit.

Stop advising people based on how YOU fucked up.

Lonnie123 wrote:

I am going to ask you one more time why you think this applies to all human beings at all times.[/quote]

Of course it doesn’t. But it applies to some. Just like you need more food to gain, some people will need less. I agree that all beginners should realize eating a caloric surplus is essential for gaining but that means different things for different people. So calories should be gradually increased till fat gains become too much and then scaled back slightly. Something Lonnie probably should have done when the fat started mounting. And/or reevaluated the his training program and training intensity.

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:

Funny, I’m 5’10" 143pounds and my breakfast is like 1300 cals. and I’m having a hard time gaining shit.

I agree your training intensity must have been shit.

Stop advising people based on how YOU fucked up.[/quote]

Maybe you’re not gainng because your training intensity’s shit. Or you still need to eat more.

Consider this the end of my argument. You all win. I was wrong the entire time. I wont post on this thread any more.

I love this site. I’ve gotten more info than anyplace else here. But I’m so FU$%ING tired of this b.s.

I will have to start going other places with intelligent questions, or to respond with info that has helped ME. As for t-mag, I guess I will just stick to only several forums, as when I read some of the posts my head wants to explode.

Monopoly

Wow. This thread has gotten heated.

Lonnie- I really do think it was in the way you phrased your statement: [quote]“The only advice I have given is that eating as much as possible all of the time will lead to fat gains…”[/quote] While I agree this is a possibility for some, it’s not a steadfast rule.

Try not to scare people away from realizing their own potential.

Just have a chocolate glazed donut and a milkshake, the rest is just gravy.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Lonnie- I really do think it was in the way you phrased your statement: “The only advice I have given is that eating as much as possible all of the time will lead to fat gains…” While I agree this is a possibility for some, it’s not a steadfast rule.

Try not to scare people away from realizing their own potential.[/quote]

This is true. You don’t want to go too far the other way and have people not eating enough scratching their heads and wondering why they aren’t making progress.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Lonnie- I really do think it was in the way you phrased your statement: “The only advice I have given is that eating as much as possible all of the time will lead to fat gains…” While I agree this is a possibility for some, it’s not a steadfast rule.

Try not to scare people away from realizing their own potential.[/quote]

Which was my point. I am glad I didn’t listen to people telling me not to eat when I started. I can only hope some kid out there who has more potential isn’t being stunted by someone else’s attempt to make every newbie believe their genetic potential is extremely limited.

Footsolider88 wrote:
To go about a bulk cleanly, where do you bump the calories and the nutritents each day - pre-post workout i.e .carbs/protein or in regular meals (breakfast, afternoon, dinner), fats or a little bit of everything gradually per day. I am usually really active so it can be challenging. I did try the one weekend cheat meal with pizza (was a looong time since I had pizza) earlier in the year a few times but I didn’t like the psychological dependency after awhile (but at the same time,it was nice to look forward to at the end of the week…it was way too easy for me to polish off a box though. The mass gain was good but I fear it was in the wrong spots and perhaps bad for my health?)Thanks Prof.

You think a pizza on the weekend is bad for your health? I am just now getting into specifically counting calories. The reason for that is I know I have a decent amount of size on me so going all out like I used to would be counterproductive. I didn’t count calories in the past. I ate until my weight went up. If I gained too quickly, I cut back a little. It was as simple as that. The majority of my focus was on lifting heavy and making sure my scale weight went up. I NEVER counted fat grams or carbs. I did attempt to take in about a gram of protein for every pound in body weight, but that was pretty much where my calculations ended. I am actually still focused on how negatively you seemed to view a cheat meal on a weekend. Unless you are DIETING, why are you making that large of a deal about it to the point that felt your were becoming “psychologically dependant” on it? Uh, most of us are dependant on food and if you are truly busting your ass in the gym, your body will need much more of it.

I hope I am being clear. You can have your diet mapped out by NASA space engineers and it won’t mean jack shit if you aren’t lifting heavy and staying focused in the gym. That means sweat actually leaves your body when you train and you train with enough intensity to outshine the majority of weekend warriors taking up space around you. Your specific macronutrient breakdown is much more significant when dieting. When gaining, in the past my main focus was TOTAL CALORIES with an emphasis on protein intake. I sure as hell didn’t stress out about a pizza on the weekends.[/quote]

Prof X, you’re right dude (I’m sure you are saying I know lol). I tend to beat myself up if I don’t adhere to clean foods only. I know some advocate clean bulking only and I recently read the new article by Barr about bulking. I forgot to mention that I am not a physique competitor but I do train hard for performance and building speed and strength. I realize that in the drumming world most guys are far from living a healthy lifestyle and still play as fast as possible. However,I feel that I can have an edge if I train hard as well as practice what I need to. Man, I need you in the Derek Roddy forum to help clean it up dude - you should hear what some of these drummers say about weights…you know, the usual myths i.e if you lift weights you will become bulky and slow etc. Thanks again for giving me a good pep talk…I might consider another pie this weekend if my crazy brain doesn’t get in the way!! lol Thanks again

Anyone else find today’s Cool Tip highly funny, considering the tempers this thread has flared? :slight_smile:

[quote]
Today’s nutrition tip comes from Chad Waterbury:

Make Breakfast Big

Eat a large breakfast comprised of carbs, protein, and a little fat. The point of consuming a large breakfast is that it “breaks” the “fast” from an overnight sleep. Upon waking, the muscles are primed to take in large amounts of calories (especially carbs) without inducing high levels of lipogenesis. In addition, a large breakfast will rev up the metabolism for the rest of the day. For breakfast, I prefer a carb/protein/fat balance of 60/30/10. But for those who don’t handle carbs well, I’ll adjust the number to 40/30/30. [/quote]

[quote]CC wrote:
Anyone else find today’s Cool Tip highly funny, considering the tempers this thread has flared? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Couple that with todays new article “6 bigger bulking tips” and my battleship is as good as sunk.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
CC wrote:

Couple that with todays new article “6 bigger bulking tips” and my battleship is as good as sunk. [/quote]

Heh.

Eh, as with most things in nutrition and weightlifting, I don’t think there’s any wrong or right answers here, and I’m sure most others know that, as well. I think sometimes we all just get bored and need to do some grunting and chest-thumping :slight_smile:

[quote]CC wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
CC wrote:

Couple that with todays new article “6 bigger bulking tips” and my battleship is as good as sunk.

Heh.

Eh, as with most things in nutrition and weightlifting, I don’t think there’s any wrong or right answers here, and I’m sure most others know that, as well. I think sometimes we all just get bored and need to do some grunting and chest-thumping :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Newbies don’t know that. They log on and take whatever authors on this site write as law and end their personal research right there. Just like the article someone else linked, they are waiting for someone to tell them that they will gain 50lbs of muscle while maintaining sub-10% body fat levels at all times.

Just like the article someone else linked, they are waiting for someone to tell them that they will gain 50lbs of muscle while maintaining sub-10% body fat levels at all times.[/quote]

You mean that’s NOT possible?

:]

[quote]Ironbarr wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Just like the article someone else linked, they are waiting for someone to tell them that they will gain 50lbs of muscle while maintaining sub-10% body fat levels at all times.

You mean that’s NOT possible?

:][/quote]

I think I made that clear with my pictures.