T Nation

Eating Things, Lifting Other Things, etc.

This is a log. It’s what I eat and what I lift.

I am 5’9" and 178 lbs.

Start.

A brief look at five days of training:

Fri:

Seated military press, 135x5, 155x5 185x2.
Preacher curls, regular old dumbbell curls.
50 m sprints, with 30 sec rests.

Sat:

Hard recumbent hill climbing, 10 minutes.
Squat, 135x20.
Treadmill, highest incline jog, 10 minutes.
Leg curl, single leg, 30x20, 45x10, 60x10, then both legs, 120x5, 130x3.

Sun:

Clean and jerk, 65x3, 75x3.
Deadlift, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 245x3, 255x1.
Stiff leg deadlift, 135x10, 185x3, 205x3, 225x1, 245x1.
Lat pulldown, 70x10, 120x5, 145x5.

Mon:

Bench, 95x5, 115x3, 135x2, 155x1. None of these lifts are extremely high, but I think the bench number is particularly depressing. I really, really like overhead lifts and can press more in a seated military press than I can even come close to benching. But this is only about two months into lifting and it’ll come along with time. I feel fucking sore a day letter.
Tricep pulldowns.
Dips, bodyweight, 10 reps, then another 10, then another 10.
Barbell curls.

Tues:

Still felt sore in my lower back and hamstrings from Sunday, and sore as fuck in my chest from Monday, so I chilled on the recumbent for a while, then played with doing some box jumps. Finished by loading up the bar with 135, then 155, then 175 and did hard pulls on it-- clean and jerk style pulls, but without the catch, just letting the bar come up and let it drop from its peak, if that makes sense. Worked blood back into hams and back and left me sweaty and feeling better.

This is a one day diet snapshot. With my own rough calculations on overall calories and overall protein. It’s not pretty, but it’s what I ate today:

1. Two double quarter pounders with cheese, large Diet Coke (1480 cal/96 pro).

2. Protein shake w/ skim milk (440 cal/94 pro).

[Workout]

1. Two chicken breasts, steamed, with chili oil (516/80).

2. Protein shake w/ skim milk (440 cal/94 pro).

3. A bowl of yogurt w/ strawberries (180/10).

3026 calories, 374 grams of protein.

Wednesday:

50m sprints x 10, with 30 second rests in between. 25m sprints x 10.
Box jumps, just fucking around,

Thursday:

Day off. Sprints and jumps left everywhere, from quads to groin to hip flexors to calves buzzing a bit. Good feeling, though.

Friday:

20 minute recumbent bike warmup.

Standing military press – usually do seated, but not this time: cleaned and jerked overhead, hardest part was getting it from collarbone to overhead. I think it’d beasier if I could just bark and throw it up without worrying about dropping it, but the gym is tiny and I never see anybody throwing barbells over their heads… and Stevie Nicks’ “Landslide” was playing gently in the background… so I felt a bit self-conscious. Did 65x10, 95x10, 105x10.

DB front raises, side raises.

One arm DB clean and jerks: 40x5, 50x5, 60x5. These felt amazing and I know I could flip 70 or 75 up, but, again, the intensity level and comfort level in that gym ain’t that high. But next time…

DB curls, just to get a pump going. Tricep extensions (DB behind the neck, extend overhead).

Bodyweight is currenly 183. So, up about 4 pounds in 6 weeks. But I’m looking leaner, more muscular, so bodyweight doesn’t tell the whole story.

As far as diet goes… I played around with really low carbs for a while and actually put on too much fat, since I was gorging myself on no carb shit without ever feeling full or having any energy. Calories were ridiculously high, and I suck at self-control. So, if I try to control overall calories, while keeping protein high, I find I can keep things where I want them and slowly gain lean meat without too much fat. But we’ll see what the end results are.

This my Friday diet:

1. Rou jia mo (braised pork in flatbread) and century egg (???, ???).

2. Protein shake with skim milk, half pound of strawberries.

[Workout]

1. Double quarter pounder with cheese, Diet Coke.

2. Chicken breast, a fruit punch Vitamin Water, and a great big orange.

3. Protein shake with skim milk.

Protein intake up around 300 grams, again, without calories being higher than they should be.